LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So this is a direct translation to English (Robe may attest or not to its accuracy) from the "club source"
The first contacts went well but nothing has happened. has yet been recorded. We will let him breathe in the country, allow him to take full advantage of the celebrations following the title of world champion. After that, we will probably re-engage in dialogue.
To me this says they have put an offer in front of him, metting went well but they are leaving him to think in it.

Certainly doesn't to me read as "signed sealed delivered"
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

I just wish he hadn't just spent 2 months with his Japan/France based teammates comparing contracts!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

albany wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:23 pm I just wish he hadn't just spent 2 months with his Japan/France based teammates comparing contracts!
I think we know his value to us. We may not offer a "French" amount but I do think we will be making a generous offer.

Just look back at his interviews the guy has a lot of respect for what we as a club have done for him. He will treat the club fairly in response.

I genuinely think if we offer in the same ball park as others he'll stay, even if we're not the top offer out there.

Question is can we make the numbers add up to make it the same ball park. I think probably just about...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Arguably our most important player. I’d maybe say given the way we play more important than Montoya. Would be a massive shame to see him go especially given the departures from the title winning squad of Ford, Moroni, Genge etc already.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:23 pm So this is a direct translation to English (Robe may attest or not to its accuracy) from the "club source"
The first contacts went well but nothing has happened. has yet been recorded. We will let him breathe in the country, allow him to take full advantage of the celebrations following the title of world champion. After that, we will probably re-engage in dialogue.
To me this says they have put an offer in front of him, metting went well but they are leaving him to think in it.

Certainly doesn't to me read as "signed sealed delivered"
Good translation!
Semper in excretia
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Salary cap goes up next season so we may be able to keep him
A2O
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Unusually for them, Rugby Inside line posted a useful tweet yesterday showing how the prem teams are fairing Vs the same fixtures last season.

Tiger's are 2 point up so all in a all a positive start
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Wouldn’t want to lose Wiese but we probably can’t compete with French wages and in Hatherall we have a player who has great potential. Our back row stocks are quite good and it may be that McKellar would prefer to use any cap space to strengthen other positions especially if Cole retires anytime soon. Prop and 13 our most urgent needs in my opinion.
A2O
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:47 pm Salary cap goes up next season so we may be able to keep him
Can clubs really afford the increase?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

How helpful it must have been for the French teams to have the world's best players on their doorstep for a few months to discuss potential contracts and moves away from their clubs. :smt003 :smt003

That said, the time has to come where clubs cut their cloth according to what they can afford and I suspect that we would end up going short elsewhere if ended up matching an offer from a French club for a World Cup winning player. I think that we would be heavily relying on the player having a strong attachment to the club and the life they have built here if they are to stay.

Even though under contract, I can see an offer coming in for Pollard as well.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Pollard is rumoured to be one of the best paid players in world rugby.
So I don't know if France pay will be that big a gap, Pollard also played in the top 14 and hated it. I have more a worry about a SA URC team signing him.

Wiese, I guess we will see Viliame Mata was linked to Toulon in his prime yet he turned them down and stayed at Edinburgh of all clubs. Sometimes players value different things.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

GB72 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:12 am How helpful it must have been for the French teams to have the world's best players on their doorstep for a few months to discuss potential contracts and moves away from their clubs. :smt003 :smt003

That said, the time has to come where clubs cut their cloth according to what they can afford and I suspect that we would end up going short elsewhere if ended up matching an offer from a French club for a World Cup winning player. I think that we would be heavily relying on the player having a strong attachment to the club and the life they have built here if they are to stay.

Its not like soccer. If he’s under contract there is no compunction for Tigers to let him go unless the player doesn’t want to see out his contract which would surprise me with Pollard
A2O
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Lets not forget that the players are returning to MWWR under a new coaching regime and this may be a part of the decision making process...........happy working place and great comeraderie and the relationships with Dan and co.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:26 am
GB72 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:12 am How helpful it must have been for the French teams to have the world's best players on their doorstep for a few months to discuss potential contracts and moves away from their clubs. :smt003 :smt003

Its not like soccer. If he’s under contract there is no compunction for Tigers to let him go unless the player doesn’t want to see out his contract which would surprise me with Pollard
I don't think you can compare Pollard and Weise either. Pollard was playing Super Rugby at 20 and had a short stint in Japan mid Bulls contract before signing a big money deal at Montpellier. A pay cut to join Tigers still has him as our marquee player. A double winning world cup flyhalf I imagine attracts endorsements as well. Money is unlikely to be a driving factor whereas family and environment probably are (whilst being the club's top earner always helps).

Weise is a year younger than Pollard but really only started making headlines the season before joining Tigers. At 28 its entirely understandable that he's looking for a good deal as he's probably got five years of playing at the top level and a family to support on the back of that. He doesn't have the endorsement options Pollard is likely to have so irrelevant of how much he loves Tigers he will have to play the field a bit. I hope we keep hold of him but understand his position in meeting with other clubs.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:53 am Wouldn’t want to lose Wiese but we probably can’t compete with French wages and in Hatherall we have a player who has great potential. Our back row stocks are quite good and it may be that McKellar would prefer to use any cap space to strengthen other positions especially if Cole retires anytime soon. Prop and 13 our most urgent needs in my opinion.
Great potential at the age of 28?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity