sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Eddie Jones resigns as Australia coach

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:09 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:31 am
sam16111986 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:34 pm

The rumours about Sinfield leaving England all seem to started with one article in the Telegraph where they speculated that Sinfield was leaving as Felix Jones is incoming. Ignoring the fact that Jones has been brought in to look after the attack.

The Telegraph have run two or three pieces that have been very negative about Sinfield. They seem to be the ones fueling the rumours and the likes of the Ruck and Rugby Pass just parrot them on a day later, in the Ruck's case they generally drag a rumour out for a good fortnight if they can.

Despite the down beat nature of their analysis of his defensive structure England had one of the best defences in the competition. Helped by the draw certainly but up against South Africa we looked perfectly capable.
Agreed. However, I will say that in our title winning.season we were excellent with a Sinfield drilled D but the following season we were poor until Everard picked.up the reins. Maybe sides worked us out from the season before without us making any.significant strides defensively or that Sinfield's message got lost but the results were not so great.
I don’t think it a rumour at all. If you read the article it says it’s mutually agreed not ‘Sinfield should go’. Telegraph- Charlie Morgan, Ben Coles etc are very reliable. It doesn’t read as an opinion piece or speculation more an explanation as to why they are parting ways.
This is the quote from the Telegraph that started the Sinfield rumours (it's not a Charlie Morgan or Ben Coles piece btw);

"The coaching set-up will also be bolstered by the recruitment of Felix Jones, the Irishman who is currently the defence coach with the Springboks for the last five years.

Felix Jones is a coach obsessed with detail in a similar fashion to Borthwick – it was his defensive strategy that plotted the downfall of Farrell in the 2019 final. And his arrival in January will almost certainly see Kevin Sinfield, England’s current defence coach who joined the set-up from Leicester with Borthwick but has lacked the experience to make a significant impact on the Test stage, move on as part of a mutual agreement
."

Link: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... field-rfu/
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

“almost certainly” and “lacked the experience to make a significant impact on the Test stage” does suggest their opinion rather than fact. I think Sir Kev has had more impact than any of the journalist or more positive impact. The click bait that media has become has led to many feed frenzies that were ill considered in hindsight.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:18 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:31 am

Agreed. However, I will say that in our title winning.season we were excellent with a Sinfield drilled D but the following season we were poor until Everard picked.up the reins. Maybe sides worked us out from the season before without us making any.significant strides defensively or that Sinfield's message got lost but the results were not so great.
I don’t think it a rumour at all. If you read the article it says it’s mutually agreed not ‘Sinfield should go’. Telegraph- Charlie Morgan, Ben Coles etc are very reliable. It doesn’t read as an opinion piece or speculation more an explanation as to why they are parting ways.
This is the quote from the Telegraph that started the Sinfield rumours (it's not a Charlie Morgan or Ben Coles piece btw);

"The coaching set-up will also be bolstered by the recruitment of Felix Jones, the Irishman who is currently the defence coach with the Springboks for the last five years.

Felix Jones is a coach obsessed with detail in a similar fashion to Borthwick – it was his defensive strategy that plotted the downfall of Farrell in the 2019 final. And his arrival in January will almost certainly see Kevin Sinfield, England’s current defence coach who joined the set-up from Leicester with Borthwick but has lacked the experience to make a significant impact on the Test stage, move on as part of a mutual agreement
."

The latest piece is by Ben Coles but either way it is not their view that Sinfield should leave it is saying that he will leave. That’s the only point I am making- it’s not them asking for him to go, more them being told that he will leave.

I would love Sinfield back at Leicester and the performances by England at the World Cup show the very positive impact he can have but both he and England have decided to part ways. I don’t see why that’s controversial, it’s not my opinion-it what the paper has said will happen. Don’t shoot the messenger.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:15 am

."

The latest piece is by Ben Coles but either way it is not their view that Sinfield should leave it is saying that he will leave. That’s the only point I am making- it’s not them asking for him to go, more them being told that he will leave.

I would love Sinfield back at Leicester and the performances by England at the World Cup show the very positive impact he can have but both he and England have decided to part ways. I don’t see why that’s controversial, it’s not my opinion-it what the paper has said will happen. Don’t shoot the messenger.
Agreed, this is how it reads to me too.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Sinfield should take a part time role and focus on his real priorities, his charitable work.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ledge-gap/

Here's Ben Coles saying Sinfield doesn't have the technical skills for the job. Slightly odd take given how well we coped with the South African attack that many expected to blow England apart. We held out the Fijians rather well also.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:58 am

."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ledge-gap/

Here's Ben Coles saying Sinfield doesn't have the technical skills for the job. Slightly odd take given how well we coped with the South African attack that many expected to blow England apart. We held out the Fijians rather well also.
From what I saw it suggested it was more mutual. Suspect London is just too far from family.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wes

Post by Wes »

anz3001 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:47 am Sinfield should take a part time role and focus on his real priorities, his charitable work.
Easy to do if some one else is paying the bills!
I only live there to wind up the population!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wes wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:40 pm
anz3001 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:47 am Sinfield should take a part time role and focus on his real priorities, his charitable work.
Easy to do if some one else is paying the bills!
With his reputation and experience in both codes, people will be chomping at the bit to get him involved in coaching clinics on the after dinner circuit maybe even some summariser work. I don’t think he’s got any worries on that score
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:19 pm Suspect London is just too far from family.
This is not directed at you TFS, but surely working for an international team you don't spend as much time away as with a club side. Club sides are every week, so I could see why he didn;t like being away or commuting, but with Eng its only every now and then?....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ads wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:17 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:19 pm Suspect London is just too far from family.
This is not directed at you TFS, but surely working for an international team you don't spend as much time away as with a club side. Club sides are every week, so I could see why he didn;t like being away or commuting, but with Eng its only every now and then?....
I suspect it's a full time role, expected to attend 1 or 2 games a weekend, lots of meetings discussions and planning. I can see it not being a daily commute, but still a very frequent one maybe?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:37 pm
ads wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:17 pm
I suspect it's a full time role, expected to attend 1 or 2 games a weekend, lots of meetings discussions and planning. I can see it not being a daily commute, but still a very frequent one maybe?
Plus Twickenham is not the easiest place to get to when travelling from the North either by car or public transport!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

With an international team, the weekends are likely to be taken up watching games and in some cases have significant travel.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:37 pm With an international team, the weekends are likely to be taken up watching games and in some cases have significant travel.
Very true. Unlike with club coaching you can be at home up North during the week when not in the international window though. No reason he'd have to physically be in London day to day. Unlike when he was at Tigers when I assume he lived locally as opposed to commuting all the way from Leeds every day.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

I doubt there are many in the game who have a greater sense of perspective that Kevin Sinfield and therefore he may well, quite rightly, ask himself- is this worth me being away from my family for most of the year?