Warburton's "Mark"

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Warburton's "Mark"

Post by Old Hob »

I was a little surprised by Sam Warburton's comment that he had not known the origin of the word "mark" ie that the catcher had to make a physical mark with his heel. Was this law change really so long ago, or is it just another sign of my galloping decrepitude?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Warburton's "Mark"

Post by kpj tiger »

I vaguely remember it and I'm 6 years younger than Sam so he must have forgotten
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I can’t remember when it changed but while I was at school, up to 1980, it was both feet on the ground making a mark and calling for it as you caught it, none of this waving your arm in the air and calling a couple of seconds later.
Full of jeopardy knowing you were likely to be snotted by a big hairy forward at any time
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It’s a relatively new law change to allow a mark to be called if you take the ball in the air. (25 years ago possibly).

So those who leap to secure the ball like Freddie would have to take the tackle in their own 22.
The Daly’s who take it on the ground would have to call mark and make said mark with the boot. But that risks being beaten in the air.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I don't remember the physical mark, but sort of knew that's where it came from. Was better when you had to have 2 feet on the ground.

I swear a SA player called the mark after he'd moved out of the 22 in the semi against Eng. He'd caught the ball inside but then moved out and raised his hand, I was going mental but then assumed it was allowed as he'd caught it inside and no one else commented.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I'd like to see a return to the old mark.
Plus no lifting in the line out.
Keep the game on the ground where it belongs. Line out and scrums were just a means of getting the ball back into play after a minor offence or touch.

As such offences at each should be free kicks. Not pens. Just get the ball back into play.

Oh......forgot to add.

Harrumph.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps if you got to keep possession at the subsequent line out from that free kick.

If you want the game to be a freer flowing contest then more focus on policing offside and both sides going off your feet at the ruck. If you are the side in possession you seem free to dive over the ball so long as you end up past the ball. Just a reckless act to prevent a contest for the ball.
alistu

Post by alistu »

I remember when playing school rugby in the 50s. If you were forced into touch, you side retained the ball at the resulting lineout.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

alistu wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:30 am I remember when playing school rugby in the 50s. If you were forced into touch, you side retained the ball at the resulting lineout.
Was this a local law? It wasn't the case in the 60's.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I vaguely remember as a schoolboy having to physically do the heel thing. That might be vague due to being repeatedly clattered by forwards.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

A quick trawl of the internet found the following in Rugby365, where a comprehensive, and presumably accurate, history of tbe Mark is given:

"In 1977, opponents to the team claiming a mark were required to stand 10 metres back from the mark, no longer on the mark. This applied to all free kicks, in line with the penalty kick. Tap kicks were allowed and team-mates were allowed to be in front of a quickly taken tap kick.

The elevated toe was dropped from making a mark and the player catching the ball was no longer required to be stationary. In fact he did not even have to be on the ground.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

In my early playing days (1955) onwards a mark was called on a clean catch and a heel striking the turf, I don't think it even had to be inside the twenty five, of course as a prop it was not an essential part of my game and even when I guessed in the backs I don't recall resorting to that tactic. I do remember playing away to Bedworth, never the most genteel of sides in the 60's or early 70's when a young hooker for us called mark, the disdain and what would now be classed as homophobic comment he received from the home front row led to an entertaining time at the ensuing lineout.
In the 50's there was " forced out" a slight touch.On a ball carrying winger would see them leaping out of play to retain the ball at the lineout.
I do agree line outs were more simple and quicker with no lifting and probably a winger throwing the ball in.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:49 pm In my early playing days (1955) onwards a mark was called on a clean catch and a heel striking the turf, I don't think it even had to be inside the twenty five, of course as a prop it was not an essential part of my game and even when I guessed in the backs I don't recall resorting to that tactic. I do remember playing away to Bedworth, never the most genteel of sides in the 60's or early 70's when a young hooker for us called mark, the disdain and what would now be classed as homophobic comment he received from the home front row led to an entertaining time at the ensuing lineout.
In the 50's there was " forced out" a slight touch.On a ball carrying winger would see them leaping out of play to retain the ball at the lineout.
I do agree line outs were more simple and quicker with no lifting and probably a winger throwing the ball in.
Yup....The inside the 25 (Nice one!) was a later addition. From memory about the same time as bouncing kiks into touch from outside the line.....though I may be wrong there. A lot of laws concerning the relevance of the 25 were changed during my time as a turf inspector. Including its name.

I loved line outs! The winger threw in and a fight broke out. Marvellous!!!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I first began playing rugby in the 1950s. The mark was called by digging the heel into the turf, hence the word "mark"

So much has changed since those days.when I began full back, and later in life was a fly half.; so much more to remember, now the game has changed so much.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:27 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:49 pm In my early playing days (1955) onwards a mark was called on a clean catch and a heel striking the turf, I don't think it even had to be inside the twenty five, of course as a prop it was not an essential part of my game and even when I guessed in the backs I don't recall resorting to that tactic. I do remember playing away to Bedworth, never the most genteel of sides in the 60's or early 70's when a young hooker for us called mark, the disdain and what would now be classed as homophobic comment he received from the home front row led to an entertaining time at the ensuing lineout.
Yup....The inside the 25 (Nice one!) was a later addition. From memory about the same time as bouncing kiks into touch from outside the line.....though I may be wrong there. A lot of laws concerning the relevance of the 25 were changed during my time as a turf inspector. Including its name.

I loved line outs! The winger threw in and a fight broke out. Marvellous!!!
I remember, vaguely, back to the early 60s when I was an enthusiastic young schoolboy fullback, catching the ball and screaming MARK and simultaneously thrusting my heel into the soggy turf. Yes, them’s were the days when wingers threw the ball in line outs. Can you imagine Johnny May doing that today?!!!
Semper in excretia