Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:40 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:36 pm must be an attack coach in Oz McKeller rates coming in if this guy is leaving already
Why not get them in the first place then?
were they available?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

We don t know if there is any truth in the rumour but I do think there is often a problem if a coach is told this is who you are going to work with. If we are talking existing staff in the workplace that is one thing but when someone new is appointed in a management position and a senior assistant is also required they should be the new.managers choice not a Human Resources or admin selection.
I like the idea of Mike Catt as a replacement IF the rumours are true but the final choice should lie with the Head Coach.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:25 am We don t know if there is any truth in the rumour but I do think there is often a problem if a coach is told this is who you are going to work with. If we are talking existing staff in the workplace that is one thing but when someone new is appointed in a management position and a senior assistant is also required they should be the new.managers choice not a Human Resources or admin selection.
I like the idea of Mike Catt as a replacement IF the rumours are true but the final choice should lie with the Head Coach.
Excellent post. You can be highly qualified but if the personal chemistry isn’t there it won’t work.
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

I wonder if there might be a young coach, with a playing background as the orchestrator of the attack of a very successful rugby team, who enjoys great respect amongst & relationships with the current playing squad? It would be even better if said theoretical candidate had recently become available due to the desire to further develop his knowledge and be closer to his home in the North-West :smt017
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

So are we expecting an announcement re Watson and a possible World Cup bolter this week
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:23 am So are we expecting an announcement re Watson and a possible World Cup bolter this week
I had certainly expected an announcement regarding Watson first thing this week as his England contract has ended unless the terms included that he remained contracted until the end of any World Cup related injury.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:42 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:36 pm must be an attack coach in Oz McKeller rates coming in if this guy is leaving already
were they available?
Alan Dickens may have also interviewed very well (you'd assume that one or more of those would have been with McKellar). Dan may have also liked the idea of having someone that's worked with a lot of Tigers best young talent at under 20s level onboard.

There may be several reasons it's not working.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:41 am Rugby Paper saying we are looking at a new back coach
It could be as simple as Dickens had a one-year deal, but it's unlikely to be extended?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I suspect that Watson's central contract ran until the end of October i.e. today. Based of World Cup dates

Therefore I suspect an announcement from the club he is (re)joining (heavily expect this to be us) will probably happen today or tomorrow.

Unfortunately from the sounds of what happened with us getting outbid on Fischetti I doubt we have the cap room for any more World Cup bolters.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:02 pm
mol2 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:23 pm Not convinced that Cowan-Dickie is on the England radar any more. Came through young but tailed plateaued a bit short of international level.
McGuigan looked likely a year or two back but I guess his chance has passed.
Charlie Clare has impressed but is he at that level?

Jamie George is probably not going to make the next world cup but it's possible. Creevy is older than George will be but there are fewer hookers in the Argentina set up I guess.

Realistically Borthwick has to back the talent he needs to build a team. The world Cup is a natural watershed and a number will retire.

Some, who may think they should be there, might find they are passed over for younger players with greater potential to develop into a player to fit Borthwick's plan.
Charlie is already 31 (nearly 32) there's not a chance he's playing for England
Deon Fourie made his test debut at 35 & played 78 minutes or whatever in the RWC at 37.

Age is just a number. Pick the best players if they are 19 or 38.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Because misjudgements happen & it's better to move on than plough forward because you're concerned about losing face?
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:23 am So are we expecting an announcement re Watson and a possible World Cup bolter this week
Time to start visiting Portugal IMHO. Great location and their team showed some great untapped talent.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:44 pm
Time to start visiting Portugal IMHO. Great location and their team showed some great untapped talent.
and a lot of them play professionally in France
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:58 pm
It would be a nice holiday though...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:58 pm
About half play in France. Other half play in Portugal, a number from the sevens side.

I'm sure the players not involved in the 6N wouldn't turn down a week training over in Portugal. Would be much milder there towards the end of the tournament then it will be here.