Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Eddie Jones resigns as Australia coach

Post by GB72 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:27 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:22 am
sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:59 am

This is a bad case of Deja Vue
I’m unsure what you are wanting the club to do.
Right Mr. Mckellar are you expecting to be approached about an international coaches role at some time over the next 4 years?
Yes ? Well I’m sorry no point in continuing with this interview even though you are the best man for the job
A poster on here stated that his release cause was effective from next summer. One season is a bad joke its even less than Borthwick and who knows he could walk away then for zilch.
What are your options with any coach. If someone else comes calling you either manage the departure or you force someone to see through a contract that they do not want to be part of. The second option is unlikely to end well and so you pick a period that will likely be acceptable to all parties and also coincides with a period where it will cause least upset to the club.

The next few weeks are going to be nervy for a few clubs across the globe. The simple fact is that international management is the pinnacle and more financially secure than club management and is a far more attractive proposition and so if someone comes calling, coaches will be interested. Nothing you can do but try and mitigate the impact of the loss.

There are very few coaches like Baxter who are happy simply to stay at club level.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

People getting excited and already criticising the club on the basis of something that may never happen. Any business can appoint a new person to a job and that person after joining can hand in their agreed notice and leave for something in their eyes better. Similarly the employer may decide the new employee is not what they thought and dispense with their services after giving the agreed notice or payment in lieu. That is how it works in business, Tigers should always try to recruit the best available but I would be dubious about appointing someone prepared to leave their current employer mid contract, once a tart always a tart.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:30 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:22 am

I’m unsure what you are wanting the club to do.
Right Mr. Mckellar are you expecting to be approached about an international coaches role at some time over the next 4 years?
Yes ? Well I’m sorry no point in continuing with this interview even though you are the best man for the job
A poster on here stated that his release cause was effective from next summer. One season is a bad joke its even less than Borthwick and who knows he could walk away then for zilch.
Still doesn’t answer my question. And if there’s a release clause don’t you also think there will be a heavy compensation clause.
You can be pessimistic or realistic, up to you
Does not matter what I think but after the Borthwick debacle the Club should have learned and not repeat the same mistake. But who really knows just how much Tigers values coaching continuity over cash turnover.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:42 am Tigers should always try to recruit the best available but I would be dubious about appointing someone prepared to leave their current employer mid contract, once a tart always a tart.
Well I agree but Borthwick did and who knows Mckellar may also now do so.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:43 am

Still doesn’t answer my question. And if there’s a release clause don’t you also think there will be a heavy compensation clause.
Does not matter what I think but after the Borthwick debacle the Club should have learned and not repeat the same mistake. But who really knows just how much Tigers values coaching continuity over cash turnover.
Tigers have not made any mistake nor have they repeated any mistake. Whilst there is a release clause in the contract, I understand it is for a significant 7 figure sum even for the Australian job. In addition, the reports have stated that he would only join Australia in July next season, so we would not be left stuck mid-season. This means we would have ample time to get a replacement sorted for July 1st next season, so whilst not ideal, it does provide further protection, and we would have a decent amount of cash to sort out a replacement.

Release clauses are also standard fare for all aspirational international coaches. Good luck getting any Head Coach of worth in if you refuse to put any such clauses in the contract.

People have some front criticising the club, when back in February they were demanding that we hire an International quality Head Coach. Guess what, International quality Head Coaches get International jobs - you can't have it both ways.

If you don't want to lose coaches to International rugby, we can go get a chump like Matt O'Connor. We won't do anything on the pitch but at least we won't lose him either.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:52 am
sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:43 am

Tigers have not made any mistake nor have they repeated any mistake. Whilst there is a release clause in the contract, I understand it is for a significant 7 figure sum even for the Australian job. In addition, the reports have stated that he would only join Australia in July next season, so we would not be left stuck mid-season. This means we would have ample time to get a replacement sorted for July 1st next season, so whilst not ideal, it does provide further protection, and we would have a decent amount of cash to sort out a replacement.

Release clauses are also standard fare for all aspirational international coaches. Good luck getting any Head Coach of worth in if you refuse to put any such clauses in the contract.

People have some front criticising the club, when back in February they were demanding that we hire an International quality Head Coach. Guess what, International quality Head Coaches get International jobs - you can't have it both ways.

If you don't want to lose coaches to International rugby, we can go get a chump like Matt O'Connor. We won't do anything on the pitch but at least we won't lose him either.
This - thanks for the sensible post. Of course it'll be a massive loss and disappointing but if Tigers want the best coaches these things are likely to happen. The club will move on and wish McKellar the best as we should all do
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree with le2 entirely . Why stress about an hypothetical situation. If he goes in July no doubt we’ll get someone else so let’s just chill out.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Nail on the head from LE2.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Going to be interesting to see how this all develops. When Eddie left England, the UK media quickly worked out it was Borthwick replacing him and it just became a case of when, not if, and making the numbers work to do the deal.

This time around it will be interesting to see if the Australian media get a feel from their contacts if it's just McKellar being looked at or other options. At the moment there are plenty of other options available who are much cheaper than McKellar. Larkham, Cheika, Andy Friend, Ian Foster and Joe Schmidt to name off the bat straightaway. Jake White is at the Bulls and would probably have a much lower release fee.

Given the nature of how McKellar left Australia and how Dave Rennie was treated, I don't think it is nailed on that McKellar does leave us. So given there are other options, the high release fee needed to get him and the previous recent history, i think there is a lot that can happen before we need to be worried.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:49 am
TTRITH wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:52 am
sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:49 am Beggars belief that Tigers have repeated the same gamble as they did signing Borthwick. If Mckellar does go Tigers need to sign someone whose tenure is not based upon foundations of sand and the success of the club goes down the toilet when it gives way again.
So we shouldn't hire exciting, upcoming, talented coaches?!

Let's appoint Woodward, because no would want him!
Not if they are going to voluntarily leave within their contracted period. We have endured and suffered due to too much coaching turmoil in recent years and it is not good for the continuing success of the club both on and off the pitch.
+1 :smt023 Exactly. Contracts may well be stitched up but another change may put ideas in players minds to find a more stable club to settle with.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Excellent points Elliott.

I'd also add that rumours of us replacing an attack coach because he's not gelling with our head coach probably wouldn't get much traction if our head coach was heading for the exit.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:28 am Going to be interesting to see how this all develops. When Eddie left England, the UK media quickly worked out it was Borthwick replacing him and it just became a case of when, not if, and making the numbers work to do the deal.

This time around it will be interesting to see if the Australian media get a feel from their contacts if it's just McKellar being looked at or other options. At the moment there are plenty of other options available who are much cheaper than McKellar. Larkham, Cheika, Andy Friend, Ian Foster and Joe Schmidt to name off the bat straightaway. Jake White is at the Bulls and would probably have a much lower release fee.

Given the nature of how McKellar left Australia and how Dave Rennie was treated, I don't think it is nailed on that McKellar does leave us. So given there are other options, the high release fee needed to get him and the previous recent history, i think there is a lot that can happen before we need to be worried.
It will be interesting but I think/hope that the club will be quick to get ahead of this and get a statement out if McKellar is staying irrespective of offers. My view is that if there has not been a comment made in conjunction with the next round of press junkets at the weekend then he may well be open to the offer as I suspect neither he nor the club would want this floating around causing uncertainty.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I just find it interesting we allowed Dan to have a clause in his contract for Australia, even if that was something Dan was unwilling to walk back on you'd surely make it so its only valid after the first couple years of his contract?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:35 am Excellent points Elliott.

I'd also add that rumours of us replacing an attack coach because he's not gelling with our head coach probably wouldn't get much traction if our head coach was heading for the exit.
I think those rumours came about before EJ resigned so who knows.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:35 am I just find it interesting we allowed Dan to have a clause in his contract for Australia, even if that was something Dan was unwilling to walk back on you'd surely make it so its only valid after the first couple years of his contract?
Not sure how you would enforce this if as others have said it is fairly standard for potential national coaches. I imagine the pay off would be the compensation, which has been mentioned would be 7 figures and as a minimum would start with a 2