Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (A) - Premiership - Saturday 4th November - KO:15-05

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:10 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:59 am On the squad wouldn't change it from the team yesterday. Let Rogerson take the legs out of Sarries runners in defence and bring Ilione on earlier to add some pace.
Kata for Cokanasiga on the bench though if fit.
mightymouse wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:43 am I’m not sure why Wiese can’t play. He’s hardly played the WC and only played about 5 minutes last night .. He must have had the biggest rest from playing since he’s been at Tigers. I know there will be big celebrations but give him Monday off and getting back to work .. I would have thought he would be itching to get back on the field.
The rest of them probably need a break although Youngs hasn’t played a lot either

Wiese will prob be in SA celebrating with Family for the week.
Not sure why he lives in Leicester presently
If there's a national acknowledgement of their achievement I would assume he'll want to be there. Coach top parade etc.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Even if available I wouldn't play Pollard on that pitch.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:12 am
mightymouse wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:45 am Also IIione can’t start and bench
I’ve only seen some very wet highlights. How did Ilione get on at 8. He played quite a bit there for the u20s and might be a decent shout on a fast track
Liebenburg was at 8 for the scrums. Ilione was busy and got through good work. Carried nicely, tackled and bothered the breakdown (think he might have got one turnover). Being able to have him and Reffell on for the later stages gave us way more dynamism than we've had in the one paced backrows of the first two weeks. He definitely deserves another go off the bench.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:53 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:59 am On the squad wouldn't change it from the team yesterday. Let Rogerson take the legs out of Sarries runners in defence and bring Ilione on earlier to add some pace.
Kata for Cokanasiga on the bench though if fit.

Wiese will prob be in SA celebrating with Family for the week.
If there's a national acknowledgement of their achievement I would assume he'll want to be there. Coach top parade etc.
Obvious thing to say but South Africa is much different to England. The size of it plus all the different people types mean that a national acknowledgment is unlikely, more likely meet the president and an appearance in in Pretoria or Cape Town or both.
Kolesi did say how important the win was for his country but also how troubled it was at the moment
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The World Cup players will return when the coaches deal them fit and ready and they have been assimilated into the new squad, they have to get used to new systems and teammates. Obviously most of them will be viewed as an upgrade on the player filling in for them but they have to prove it on the pitch and to do that they need to be ready and rested. We have a few positions where there is genuine competition for the starting role, there are areas where the Coach.might consider a positional switch as he seeks the right blend. Of course there may be areas where he feel the only option is to get the absentee back ASAP.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:29 pm

Obvious thing to say but South Africa is much different to England. The size of it plus all the different people types mean that a national acknowledgment is unlikely, more likely meet the president and an appearance in in Pretoria or Cape Town or both.
Kolesi did say how important the win was for his country but also how troubled it was at the moment
Looks like Pollard and Wiese may be back in SA this week

https://www.joburgetc.com/sports-etc/sp ... n-tuesday/
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

That makes it less likely they will feature vs Quins doesn't it? Given that the last parade takes place on the sunday, you wouldn't expect them back at Oval Park until the tuesday at the earliest.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

albany wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:13 am That makes it less likely they will feature vs Quins doesn't it? Given that the last parade takes place on the sunday, you wouldn't expect them back at Oval Park until the tuesday at the earliest.
Good point. The article says that it will conclude at the FNB stadium on Thursday and then will be extended. Pure speculation but it may that the home based players will continue the tour and those playing abroad may travel to their clubs.

I think I read that the game that was being targeted for a full squad return was the Saints match. Anyone back earlier than that will be a bonus
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Worth pointing out with chat of when people return, since the clock change there is now a 2 hour difference between us and SA, not too much but double what it was last week so there will be a bit more acclimatisation required
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

Might be an unpopular take but if I was in the club's shoes I'd let them enjoy the whole week (given, Pollard aside, this is generally a once in a lifetime achievement and the scale of happiness this seems to have ignited in SA) and tell them to come in once they've had a day or so back in the country, hoping this generous gesture might be remembered come contract-renewal time this/next year in light of the ruthlessness of French rugby clubs.
I would also be tempted if I was one of the two lads to agree with the other one which day we coming back in on and then actually turn up for training the day before that (only joking)!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

albany wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:39 am Might be an unpopular take but if I was in the club's shoes I'd let them enjoy the whole week (given, Pollard aside, this is generally a once in a lifetime achievement and the scale of happiness this seems to have ignited in SA) and tell them to come in once they've had a day or so back in the country, hoping this generous gesture might be remembered come contract-renewal time this/next year in light of the ruthlessness of French rugby clubs.
I would also be tempted if I was one of the two lads to agree with the other one which day we coming back in on and then actually turn up for training the day before that (only joking)!
Yep especially as we're negotiating a new contract with Wiese, a bit of understanding of him celebrating and having a new baby at home may well help with that
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

albany wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:39 am Might be an unpopular take but if I was in the club's shoes I'd let them enjoy the whole week (given, Pollard aside, this is generally a once in a lifetime achievement and the scale of happiness this seems to have ignited in SA) and tell them to come in once they've had a day or so back in the country, hoping this generous gesture might be remembered come contract-renewal time this/next year in light of the ruthlessness of French rugby clubs.
Totally agree. Would give them the week off to celebrate then have them out on the pitch for the next home match. On a purely PR basis, if next week had been at home I would probably want our world cup winners in the ground at least but as we are away, give them the week off.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:02 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:29 pm

Looks like Pollard and Wiese may be back in SA this week

https://www.joburgetc.com/sports-etc/sp ... n-tuesday/
Not surprising. Given the 2019 win had Covid effecting things and how big the country is there was always likely to be a big party to celebrate.

As Gramps says, troubled times and no better way than to get that out of people's minds than a national celebration.
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

Being relaxed about when the South Africans come back might also be a way to give a subtle statement of confidence to Shillcock & Rogerson (& others) essentially saying 'You're not just placeholders for the big guns who we will drop as soon as they come back in. We are comfortable with you guys as starters'
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I’m off to Sarries on Saturday and they’ve sent this news:
Ben Earl and Theo Dan both scored for Steve Borthwick's side, and captain Owen Farrell scored 16 points from the tee to guide England to a bronze medal.

Maro Itoje and Jamie George were both also involved, and they took on new team-mates Lucio Cinti and Juan Martin Gonzalez who both started for Argentina.

Elsewhere, on Saturday South Africa won their fourth World Cup title as they edged out New Zealand 12-11 at the Stade de France.

Want to see them back in action for Saracens? Buy your tickets for Saturday's match against Leicester Tigers NOW!

After last season’s heavy defeat at Sarries and their win last weekend we will be underdogs. Bring it on.

Interesting. We know Tigers won’t be playing our players who featured in the Friday and Saturday World Cup .

Come on Tigers