Eddie Jones resigns as Australia coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Eddie Jones resigns as Australia coach

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:59 am I am hoping that this is something the club can clear up quickly. Chat with Dan, assess his opinion and, if as we hope he remains committed to Tigers, release a quick joint statement confirming that and confirming that there is no interest in the Australia job. That would cut the speculation in the bud straight off.
I do agree and hopefully those conversations are being had. Strikes me as being a very up front guy.
As you say in your other post it can turn into a bit of a coach merry go round after a big tournament
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don’t see him going to Australia yet.
The set up is not good and therefore a high risk option. Head coach of your national side tends to be a role for later in your career as the options after are not great if you fail. Jones is the exception in that he managed to become England’s coach after departing Australian for Japan. He has a track record of putting a gloss on someone else’s side and failure to evolve and develop his own side.

It didn’t work for Australia this time suggesting a wholesale development is needed and if nothing else the next Australia coach probably needs to be more senior to have the gravitas to make the changes needed as well as being a top coach. We believe McKeller is the latter but if I were him I would think this is too early for to take on. Arguably the same applies to Borthwick with England- has the coaching ability but does he have experience to deal with the politics of the 57 old farts.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:52 am
sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:49 am Beggars belief that Tigers have repeated the same gamble as they did signing Borthwick. If Mckellar does go Tigers need to sign someone whose tenure is not based upon foundations of sand and the success of the club goes down the toilet when it gives way again.
So we shouldn't hire exciting, upcoming, talented coaches?!

Let's appoint Woodward, because no would want him!
Not if they are going to voluntarily leave within their contracted period. We have endured and suffered due to too much coaching turmoil in recent years and it is not good for the continuing success of the club both on and off the pitch.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

loretta wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:08 am The interviews with Andrea Pinchen have shown me that she and her team have had contingencies in place for things going sideways with staff way before many of us thought there might be an issue. I imagine the current situation will have been planned for.
No we will be in an even worse position than when Borthwick left. Who the hell with any merit is going to take over at this stage in the season? After the Borthwick debacle I cannot believe that all some folks are content with compensation cash as opposed to stability and success.
Last edited by sapajo on Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:53 am
loretta wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:08 am The interviews with Andrea Pinchen have shown me that she and her team have had contingencies in place for things going sideways with staff way before many of us thought there might be an issue. I imagine the current situation will have been planned for.
No we will be in an even worse position than when Borthwick left. Who the hell with any merit is going to take over at this stage in the season?
Which is why the reports I have read are that the release clause allows a departure next summer. So, if the ARU want him, they pay and do not get him until next year.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

GB72 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:57 am
No we will be in an even worse position than when Borthwick left. Who the hell with any merit is going to take over at this stage in the season?
Which is why the reports I have read are that the release clause allows a departure next summer. So, if the ARU want him, they pay and do not get him until next year.
This is a bad case of Deja Vue
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Well we are in the post World Cup coach churn period.

So plenty of International Coaches (so a good standard of coach) who may be looking to get back into club rugby. Maybe say Cheika or Joseph, both top quality coaches.

If my memory serves Cheika was interested in Tigers before the McKellar appointment, but we were wary as he wanted to do a job share till the end of the World Cup.

The other factor is that this is very soon into his coaching contract so break clauses will be high compensation. So we will be able to afford to buy coaches out of contracts.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Australia need to appoint Rassie really to get them going again.

When is Australia's next International? McKellar to leave at the end of this season?

Wonder if Jo Schimdt has anything lined up.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Won’t lose too much sleep over speculation. Doubt very much that Dan will leave but if he does plenty of coaches available post World Cup and a big compensation package to help finances.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:59 am

I’m unsure what you are wanting the club to do.
Right Mr. Mckellar are you expecting to be approached about an international coaches role at some time over the next 4 years?
Yes ? Well I’m sorry no point in continuing with this interview even though you are the best man for the job
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:15 am Won’t lose too much sleep over speculation. Doubt very much that Dan will leave but if he does plenty of coaches available post World Cup and a big compensation package to help finances.
There were a couple, not you, who after the Sale game were asking What Coaching ?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:22 am

Right Mr. Mckellar are you expecting to be approached about an international coaches role at some time over the next 4 years?
Yes ? Well I’m sorry no point in continuing with this interview even though you are the best man for the job
A poster on here stated that his release cause was effective from next summer. One season is a bad joke its even less than Borthwick and who knows he could walk away then for zilch.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:27 am

A poster on here stated that his release cause was effective from next summer. One season is a bad joke its even less than Borthwick and who knows he could walk away then for zilch.
I would be flat on my back amazed IF one year into a multi year contract we put a ZERO cost break clause in the contract.

There probably is some break clauses and some possible intervals when they can occur, but there is a little to zero percent chance it is for free.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:27 am

Still doesn’t answer my question. And if there’s a release clause don’t you also think there will be a heavy compensation clause.
You can be pessimistic or realistic, up to you
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

I actually think this could be the perfect time for McKellar to take the job:
a coach who prides himself on giving opportunities to young players (which I have heard Dan say he is more than once) is unlikely to have a better chance to do so in Australian rugby given that expectations have been lowered so much following the World Cup & that Rugby Australia would be absolutely desperate to avoid another dismissal in the next few years.
Plus a whole four year development cycle in the run up to a home World Cup with a Lions tour to boot. Imagine being the coach who took Australia from group stage knockout to victory in Sydney whilst giving the next generation of stars their chance!