Eddie Jones resigns as Australia coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigersunited

Re: Eddie Jones resigns as Australia coach

Post by Tigersunited »

Yes, and there is always another coach……
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Of course all speculation at the moment. As has been mentioned Mckellar has had a break clause put in his contract, but you would also think that Tigers will have had a hefty compensation clause inserted.
The financial issues will be something Rugby Australia will have to take into account especially if there are other quality coaches available that wouldn’t have such costs attached.

All very interesting stuff
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Just a thought, but maybe it's not the best idea to keep signing coaches who are next in line for the top job with their national teams, especially when Eddie is the incumbent.

Ideally, we would find our Baxter/McCall.

What are the odds on us replacing McKellar with Jamie Joseph, who then heads back to Japan 6 months later when Eddie walks out or get sacked?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I see McKellar heading up Australia's shortlist

I see McKellar agreeing a break clause with whatever amount deemed fair for the Aus job.

I think that break clause amount will be high enough that despite being the top name on the list it makes another person the one picked.

Candidates for Aus IMO
Larkham (most likely)
McKellar
Cheika
Joseph
Foster

Foster I think is an interesting one, where does he go having taken NZ to a WC final, but having known his job is gone before it. He probably has had his nose put out of joint by the NZRU so doubt he'll coach in NZ, may be an interesting shout.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Beggars belief that Tigers have repeated the same gamble as they did signing Borthwick. If Mckellar does go Tigers need to sign someone whose tenure is not based upon foundations of sand and the success of the club goes down the toilet when it gives way again.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:10 pm Just a thought, but maybe it's not the best idea to keep signing coaches who are next in line for the top job with their national teams, especially when Eddie is the incumbent.

Ideally, we would find our Baxter/McCall.

What are the odds on us replacing McKellar with Jamie Joseph, who then heads back to Japan 6 months later when Eddie walks out or get sacked?
Be just our luck :smt003
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:49 am Beggars belief that Tigers have repeated the same gamble as they did signing Borthwick. If Mckellar does go Tigers need to sign someone whose tenure is not based upon foundations of sand and the success of the club goes down the toilet when it gives way again.
So we shouldn't hire exciting, upcoming, talented coaches?!

Let's appoint Woodward, because no would want him!
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

IF (and I doubt we will) we lose McKellar we will be paid handsomely!!!

We will also be a very attractive club (especially looking at the squad we have) for a coach to join, at a time post world cup where there are plenty of top coaches available.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I can just imagine the uproar on here if we hired a complete unknown with no chance of bettering themselves and getting a top international job.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Wonder if Dan fancies the interview so he can tear into the ARU and then tell them to poke it? :smt017 :smt044
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The Jones / England situation was expected to conclude at the end of the World Cup and the Borthwick would take over. Results and performances accelerated the process and Jones goes and Borthwick and co are appointed.
Jones is appointed the Aus and expected to see them through the next few years, but a poor World Cup and adverse reaction from home has caused a vacancy for the Aus job. Both of the above scenarios happened before they should have done and decisions were made for what was best at the time.
Andrea Pinchen and her team have done a great job in keeping the Club going, bringing in new investors and done a thorough selection process to get the coaches. Tigers have attracted some World Class players and this all goes well for the future. What will be will be, but I hope that Dan remains at MWWR to complete a job that he has started.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:49 am Beggars belief that Tigers have repeated the same gamble as they did signing Borthwick. If Mckellar does go Tigers need to sign someone whose tenure is not based upon foundations of sand and the success of the club goes down the toilet when it gives way again.
Beggars belief you make this post.

He was appointed in May to take over after WW before Jones starting playing his selection games and well before RWC.
Are you wanting them to use a crystal ball as part of the selection process
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I am hoping that this is something the club can clear up quickly. Chat with Dan, assess his opinion and, if as we hope he remains committed to Tigers, release a quick joint statement confirming that and confirming that there is no interest in the Australia job. That would cut the speculation in the bud straight off.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

The interviews with Andrea Pinchen have shown me that she and her team have had contingencies in place for things going sideways with staff way before many of us thought there might be an issue. I imagine the current situation will have been planned for.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

loretta wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:08 am The interviews with Andrea Pinchen have shown me that she and her team have had contingencies in place for things going sideways with staff way before many of us thought there might be an issue. I imagine the current situation will have been planned for.
Agreed, I do trust the management team to have planned for this and would also expect them to push for it all to be sorted out quickly one way of another.

Personally, I have this horrible feeling that he will go if asked and I think that the ARU being able to afford any compensation will be the biggest hurdle. I also do not think we will be he only team in this position. There are some big international jobs already up for grabs and that is before some nations have done their post WC review that may result in more deciding on a change.