Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: RWC 2023 Fixtures and results

Post by loretta »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:35 pm
loretta wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:16 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67185493

Bok scrum might not be so dominant with no hooker!
Apparently we all need to learn Africaans at the cry was warning the Boks that the ball was on the "White Side." (Wit kant)

A similar play on words "pick my most beautiful side" in dutch has been doing the social media rounds for some time.

I expect this all to blow over.
Entertaining while it lasts though!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Cape Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Cape Tiger »

Video evidence suggests he said "wyd kant", which translates as wide or open side and is very similar in pronunciation to the alleged insult. As has been noted elsewhere, there are always 2 "kants" to a story, in this case Curry being one.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Cape Tiger wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:41 am Video evidence suggests he said "wyd kant", which translates as wide or open side and is very similar in pronunciation to the alleged insult. As has been noted elsewhere, there are always 2 "kants" to a story, in this case Curry being one.
Hang on there... I don't think Curry did anything wrong in this instance. He raised what he felt was an insult immediately when he had chance to the ref.

When questioned about it by press, Curry deliberately tried to avoid the topic and not escalate.

This is a fully press driven hounding, not Curry, he did the right thing having misinterpreted the phrase. A player should feel he is able to approach the ref with these concerns.

My issue is with the press running this story without any sort of balance, i.e. alternative language meanings etc...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:55 am
Cape Tiger wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:41 am Video evidence suggests he said "wyd kant", which translates as wide or open side and is very similar in pronunciation to the alleged insult. As has been noted elsewhere, there are always 2 "kants" to a story, in this case Curry being one.
Hang on there... I don't think Curry did anything wrong in this instance. He raised what he felt was an insult immediately when he had chance to the ref.

When questioned about it by press, Curry deliberately tried to avoid the topic and not escalate.

This is a fully press driven hounding, not Curry, he did the right thing having misinterpreted the phrase. A player should feel he is able to approach the ref with these concerns.

My issue is with the press running this story without any sort of balance, i.e. alternative language meanings etc...
Press balance...a very rare beast these days, extinct in many areas.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Cape Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Cape Tiger »

It was a tongue in cheek comment. England lost a game they deserved to win. Blowing up these sort of issues in the press is unfortunate for both sides. I suspect that back in the day if there had been a problem between the players it would have been sorted out on the field rather than in the media.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Thought Curry handled it perfectly. You'd have thought that people who speak Afrikaans and English would notice certain similarities though....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ads wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:52 am Thought Curry handled it perfectly. You'd have thought that people who speak Afrikaans and English would notice certain similarities though....
They did, but virtually every press in the UK had run the story by then...
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

One would assume a Public School education at Oundle would ensure any individual would immediately seperate Africaanse from English...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

This is the second different explanation I've read, the first one being that he said "white side" in Afrikaan to tell his team that the ball was on England's side at the ruck.

Has anyone got a link to a clip of the actual incident to show context, or are we just listing some phrases that sound like the alleged insult without having a clue what happened?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RFU are now requesting World Rugby fully investigate the incident
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:43 pm This is the second different explanation I've read, the first one being that he said "white side" in Afrikaan to tell his team that the ball was on England's side at the ruck.

Has anyone got a link to a clip of the actual incident to show context, or are we just listing some phrases that sound like the alleged insult without having a clue what happened?
Thing is that the latest reports are that the clip that everyone is focusing on is not the incident in question. What is have seen is that social media has got very toxic over this very quickly.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

GB72 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:47 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:43 pm This is the second different explanation I've read, the first one being that he said "white side" in Afrikaan to tell his team that the ball was on England's side at the ruck.

Thing is that the latest reports are that the clip that everyone is focusing on is not the incident in question. What is have seen is that social media has got very toxic over this very quickly.
Pretty standard really. I'll wait until there's been a sensible investigation and/or some actual facts before I make judgement.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

England vs Argentina

15. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 29 caps)
14. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 30 caps)
13. Joe Marchant (Stade Francais, 25 caps)
12. Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 58 caps)
11. Henry Arundell (Racing 92, 9 caps)
10. Owen Farrell – captain (Saracens, 111 caps)
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 126 caps)
1. Ellis Genge – vice-captain (Bristol Bears, 57 caps)
2. Theo Dan (Saracens, 6 caps)
3. Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 32 caps)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 75 caps)
5. Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers, 17 caps)
6. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 49 caps)
7. Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 29 caps)
8. Ben Earl (Saracens, 24 caps)

16. Jamie George (Saracens, 84 caps)
17. Bevan Rodd (Sale Sharks, 4 caps)
18. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 106 caps)
19. David Ribbans (Toulon, 9 caps)
20. Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 24 caps)
21. Danny Care (Harlequins, 95 caps)
22. George Ford – vice-captain (Sale Sharks, 90 caps)
23. Ollie Lawrence (Bath Rugby, 20 caps)
Wes

Post by Wes »

Cape Tiger wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:48 am It was a tongue in cheek comment. England lost a game they deserved to win. Blowing up these sort of issues in the press is unfortunate for both sides. I suspect that back in the day if there had been a problem between the players it would have been sorted out on the field rather than in the media.
Back in the day, this wouldn't have even been a thing, the only reason it is is because the question to the ref on the pitch during play was picked up on the ref mic. As far as I can tell, nobody is blowing it up in the press other than the press!

What is totally wrong is the hatred directed towards curry on social media. Mostly from SA fans directly to Curry via his Instagram account.
I only live there to wind up the population!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Wow great backrow. Although have to question why Stuart and Ludlum weren’t on the bench against SA!