LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by sam16111986 »

"Felix Jones is a coach obsessed with detail in a similar fashion to Borthwick – it was his defensive strategy that plotted the downfall of Farrell in the 2019 final. And his arrival in January will almost certainly see Kevin Sinfield, England’s current defence coach who joined the set-up from Leicester with Borthwick but has lacked the experience to make a significant impact on the Test stage, move on as part of a mutual agreement."

Makes it sound like conjecture, assuming one defensive coach is going to replace another which he ignoring the fact that Jones was previously an attack coach as well.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:06 am Dan Cole is the best scrummaging prop for Tigers and England hence he deserves his selection. Heyes good and probably better than Dan in the loose he is still young for a prop and is improving his skills in the scrum, in my opinion he is better than Sinkler or Stuart. I have no idea how long Dan will carry on after this season but we and England have an excellent replacement in Joe Heyes.
I concur. Heyes is a good Premiership player and not as weak a scrummager as some assume. He still has to learn how to deal with cure loose heads who pull a few tricks and fool the ref.
Cole’s massive scrummaging prowess has hidden some of the weaknesses on the loose head side since Genge went. Cronin being injured left us with problems with a choice of Van Wyke (who I am unconvinced about) and Whitcombe who is a promising player who was also injured for much of last season. Genge was a good scrummager with us but I suspect it’s not coincidence that his and Sinckler’s scrummaging has declined at Bristol.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don’t think Felix Jones was the primary cause of England’s downfall in the 2019 final.

I blame the other Jones (Eddie ) for that. Picking Macko on the loose head ahead of Marler and Genge against a side who pride themselves on their scrum.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tigers86asw wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:36 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:19 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:47 pm if he was only going to be there for the World Cup why on earth did Steve make him leave us? could have been part time during 6N and world cup
Also what does Aled do from next Friday?

There has been a fair amount of smoke & mirrors around the whole Borthwick & co departures from Tigers.
Article says all other staff will stay with England. Waters mentioned as having even more responsibility moving forwards.
Tone of the article implies parting is mutual with Sinfield.
It was more to do with how his role works outside of a RWC, I know he is more than a S&C coach but it seems a stretch to be a full time & no doubt a well paid job.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

" Genge was a good scrummager with us but I suspect it’s not coincidence that his and Sinckler’s scrummaging has declined at Bristol."
Exactly my reason for wondering how long Genge can stay there and decline into "once was".
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:21 am " Genge was a good scrummager with us but I suspect it’s not coincidence that his and Sinckler’s scrummaging has declined at Bristol."
Exactly my reason for wondering how long Genge can stay there and decline into "once was".
My thoughts exactly, it is hard to believe how quickly he has become a shadow of what he was with us. From one of the first names on the team sheet and a contender for captain to one who may not even be picked if England had any stronger options.

I know there were personal reasons involved but could he not see what the set up had already done to Sinkler.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:45 pm Kevin Sinfield to move on from England job, replaced by Felix Jones, would we welcome him back at Tigers? I would but not sure he would come, perhaps a move elsewhere?
Felix Jones isn't replacing Kevin Sinfield. He was announced in March as joining the team alongside Wiggy and Sinfield after the RWC. It seems some "quality" journalists are quick to forget their own work,

I imagine Sinfield may move back up to Yorkshire. He talked about being away from home from day one at Tigers. Being London based I suspect is even worse. "By mutual agreement" suggest he's asked to be released.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

GB72 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:28 am
jgriffin wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:21 am " Genge was a good scrummager with us but I suspect it’s not coincidence that his and Sinckler’s scrummaging has declined at Bristol."
My thoughts exactly, it is hard to believe how quickly he has become a shadow of what he was with us. From one of the first names on the team sheet and a contender for captain to one who may not even be picked if England had any stronger options.

I know there were personal reasons involved but could he not see what the set up had already done to Sinkler.
Sinckler when he was at Quins was never a liability at the scrum. Last WC he was easily first choice tighthead. Crazy what the Bristol scrum coach has managed to do!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Personally I never rated Simpler as strong scrummager for Harlequins, Bristol or England. Hence was good in the scrum for us because the front row is a team in itself and with Dan and Tom Youngs Ellis was a part of a strong unit. If one part of that unit fails they all fail and those not familiar with the dark arts frequently place blame on the wrong man.
Sinfield as a man is an inspiration, as a defence coach in Rugby Union he was and is still.learning the job, I think Matt Everard is better for Tigers and is one of our own.I would not like to see him forced out to make room for anybody that has previously opted to leave us.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:28 pm Personally I never rated Simpler as strong scrummager for Harlequins, Bristol or England. Hence was good in the scrum for us because the front row is a team in itself and with Dan and Tom Youngs Ellis was a part of a strong unit. If one part of that unit fails they all fail and those not familiar with the dark arts frequently place blame on the wrong man.
Sinfield as a man is an inspiration, as a defence coach in Rugby Union he was and is still.learning the job, I think Matt Everard is better for Tigers and is one of our own.I would not like to see him forced out to make room for anybody that has previously opted to leave us.
I agree,we used to pulverise Quins in the scrum most of the time when they had Sinckler and Marler. Although I believe that was before Adam Jones and he has turned them into a formidable unit,Louw certainly helped though
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:28 pm …….If one part of that unit fails they all fail and those not familiar with the dark arts frequently place blame on the wrong man.
….
Hence Coley being blamed for the collapse of our scrummaging in 2019. 4 years later and 4 years older and Coley still does the job better than most.
peteD

Post by peteD »

TomWeston wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:52 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:28 pm …….If one part of that unit fails they all fail and those not familiar with the dark arts frequently place blame on the wrong man.
….
Hence Coley being blamed for the collapse of our scrummaging in 2019. 4 years later and 4 years older and Coley still does the job better than most.
To be fair 2019 Coley is a shadow of 2023 Coley. The arrival of SB & AW revitalised him.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Bit more detail in the telegraph this morning on Sinfield’s England exit. Seeks players love him, inspirational but a slight lack of technical knowledge at the highest level. Also says he is missing his family, who are based in Oldham, a great deal. Appears separation is on very good terms.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:10 am Bit more detail in the telegraph this morning on Sinfield’s England exit. Seeks players love him, inspirational but a slight lack of technical knowledge at the highest level. Also says he is missing his family, who are based in Oldham, a great deal. Appears separation is on very good terms.
Best wishes to an inspirational man in whatever he does
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So with Youngs retiring from International Rugby, question is, where does that leave us at Tigers? Was he planning on retiring immediately, but JVP's injury changed his plans?

He last signed a contract here during Covid in July 2020, back then I can't believe he was looking beyond the world cup in his career, so it is highly likely that his contract expires this season, so will he play club rugby for a season or two?

With JvP being well in the international frame I could see Youngs doing a Wigglesworth type role of ensuring we have a top quality scrum half who we can manage gametime and assist during international windows?

Personally I think he will probably retire this season, in which case are the rest of our scrum half ranks enough or do we need to recruit there. Personally with JvP, Powell, Whiteley, Edwards & Allan I think we have a really nice mixture and so long as the likes of Powell settle I think we're ok
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.