Where Does the Money Go

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Where Does the Money Go

Post by GB72 »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:08 am Those 12 staff must be paid a hell of a lot!!
They are, good 6 figure salaries.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:08 am Those 12 staff must be paid a hell of a lot!!
Guess there will be travel, accomodation etc covered in those costs.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:44 am
I would guess that comes out of the £4 million pounds put aside for running costs but the figure quoted was just for salaries (this was following the last tour). That said, from an organisational point of view, you would hope that much of it can be done over Zoom rather than having to send people to the host nation regularly.

Still, my unpopular opinion of the week is that I think that the Lions should have to enter into a player release agreement with the clubs with reasonable recompense being paid. Will never happen, even if there were the will to do it, the Lions would spin it in the press as the clubs wanting to end a great rugby tradition, denying players the pinnacle of their career etc.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:59 am
I would guess that comes out of the £4 million pounds put aside for running costs but the figure quoted was just for salaries (this was following the last tour). That said, from an organisational point of view, you would hope that much of it can be done over Zoom rather than having to send people to the host nation regularly.

Still, my unpopular opinion of the week is that I think that the Lions should have to enter into a player release agreement with the clubs with reasonable recompense being paid. Will never happen, even if there were the will to do it, the Lions would spin it in the press as the clubs wanting to end a great rugby tradition, denying players the pinnacle of their career etc.
It’s a very valid point. I don’t know but that then cause an issue with it being fair across all 4 nations with the more centralised employment being used by Ireland and Wales
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:06 am

It’s a very valid point. I don’t know but that then cause an issue with it being fair across all 4 nations with the more centralised employment being used by Ireland and Wales
Thing is, with centralised employment, the union gets the money through their joint ownership of the Lions company and so it filters down to the regions and provinces through investment by the union.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:19 am

Thing is, with centralised employment, the union gets the money through their joint ownership of the Lions company and so it filters down to the regions and provinces through investment by the union.
Ah so they are getting it anyway indirectly, but in England the RFU will be hanging onto it and not passing it down to the clubs.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:41 am
GB72 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:19 am

Ah so they are getting it anyway indirectly, but in England the RFU will be hanging onto it and not passing it down to the clubs.
Seems like it unless it is part of the agreement between the clubs and the RFU for international player release but I am not sure how that would be possible as the Lions is run by a separate company that just happens to be owned by the home unions and there is normally an England tour at the same time so that would account for our obligated player release.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Possibly another example of different bodies trying to run the professional game with different agendas
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:56 am Possibly another example of different bodies trying to run the professional game with different agendas
I remember Simon Cohen saying the club received a fee for every player that went on a Lions tours IRO £50k PP - I think that was back in. 2013 - may have changed since. His view at the time was it wasn’t sufficient due to injuries and rest period required, due to the intensity.