TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: RWC 2023 Fixtures and results

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:11 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:09 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:07 pm

Did they check to see that he set off after kicker moved and not before?
I don’t think it matters now.
Its a pretty rare occurance, Im just interested to know.
I saw a video (unsurprisingly removed for copyright reasons with World Rugby refusing to allow the game to be shared and generally trying to avoid the sport being popular).

In it you see Kolbe set off as Ramos has a slight trigger step to the left (very slight trigger step before his kick). I assume Kolbe playing at the same club as Ramos had insight into this so planned it. Reminds me of the Simmonds charge down a few seasons back for Exeter, trigger movement set off the chasers earlier than would have been anticipated.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I think complaints about the reffing of France /SA are misplaced - he is a Kiwi, and I think SA played him brilliantly. They knew he'd allow skewing round the ruck, hands off the ground, most neck tackles, blocking and flopping/over-running the ruck, because they've been part of NZ rugby since the 90s, and were effectively exported globally by them. :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:53 am
Dokie wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:07 am
mol2 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:00 am The weak pool has produced 2 semi finalists.

The dross England played over the past couple of years since lockdown has perhaps shown signs of being turned round.

Still some way off the best sides but as Tigers showed, the changes can be abrupt.
(Mind you, many off the press would still have you believe Quins are a wonder team and Bath's pack the best in the Premiership)
The semi finals that nobody wanted.
What a difference in anticipation it would have been for:
Ireland v Wales
France v Fiji
France v Fiji I'd go with. Personally I'd be satisfied if Wales didn't make it out of the group stages! 🤣🤣 (Sorry Darling!!!)

Now, playing England, on a level playing field, SA should win easily. Weather, Cards, The Ref, or Injuries can change all that.

.......So 15 red cards for South Africa and its a snip! 🤣🤣🤣
You need to change your name to Big Dave
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

4 excellent games with for me the correct winners in all of them. I went 3 from 4 the only one I got wrong was France.
2 of the games Ireland/New Zealand and France/ South Africa were worthy of being finals.

Semi finals I’m expecting wins for South Africa and New Zealand, which would make for a great final and probably too close to call at the moment.

Would expect Reynal to be given the whistle for the final as the French will want someone there
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:42 pm 4 excellent games with for me the correct winners in all of them. I went 3 from 4 the only one I got wrong was France….

Semi finals I’m expecting wins for South Africa and New Zealand, which would make for a great final and probably too close to call at the moment….
Well you were 3 better than Stuart Barnes of the Times, and one worse than me.

I’d be interested in Barnes’ SF predictions, even he can’t get it that wrong again, can he?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Pellsey wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:57 am
Robespierre wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:32 am After too many uninteresting one-sided matches, the four quarter finals were simply outstanding. Naturally, I’m extremely disappointed that France have been eliminated, but if Ramos hadn’t taken too much time with his conversion attempt and if Jalibert hadn’t skewed his clearance penalty then the result may have been different. Small margins……….
IMHO there is also potentially an arguement that the person (Eztebeth) who scored the match-winning try should have not been allowed to come back on the pitch. I could not see any mitigation for the head-on-head personally (with my blue-tinted glasses on!!) But hey, what is done is done...
For goodness sake, the man was almost bent double with arms ready to wrap, equally his opponent was also bent, so how low was Etzebeth to go? :smt017
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

mol2 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:00 am The weak pool has produced 2 semi finalists.

The dross England played over the past couple of years since lockdown has perhaps shown signs of being turned round.

Still some way off the best sides but as Tigers showed, the changes can be abrupt.
(Mind you, many off the press would still have you believe Quins are a wonder team and Bath's pack the best in the Premiership)
Ireland v Wales
France v Fiji
France v Fiji I'd go with. Personally I'd be satisfied if Wales didn't make it out of the group stages! 🤣🤣 (Sorry Darling!!!)

Now, playing England, on a level playing field, SA should win easily. Weather, Cards, The Ref, or Injuries can change all that.

Wales v Ireland would be so one sided they’d need a cricket scoreboard and some earplugs to block out the Wales whingers
A2O
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Dokie wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:23 pm
Ireland v Wales
France v Fiji

They would still have 8. :smt005
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/loosest_the/status/ ... 6TY7w&s=19

Cool stat, all 4 ¼'s went the opposite way of each of the two teams involved last game against each other...

Got to say I hope that continues and is true throughout the semifinals too...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Thats really disappointing but does that mean rugby is becoming as popular as soccer?
I'm not cynical just experienced
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Dokie wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:23 pm
Ireland v Wales
France v Fiji

Two English Daves, working in the same safety office in Wales. One about 7 stone dripping wet, the other....well nearer 18 stone at the time.
Little Dai and Big Dai.

It would be funny if it was the other way around.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:50 pm
Ireland v Wales
France v Fiji

Wales v Ireland would be so one sided they’d need a cricket scoreboard.

That’s very kind of you to say so but I think Ireland would have given us a decent game.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:42 pm 4 excellent games with for me the correct winners in all of them. I went 3 from 4 the only one I got wrong was France.
2 of the games Ireland/New Zealand and France/ South Africa were worthy of being finals.

Semi finals I’m expecting wins for South Africa and New Zealand, which would make for a great final and probably too close to call at the moment.

Would expect Reynal to be given the whistle for the final as the French will want someone there
Been playing in a score prediction game on line all tournament on Superbru. Only got two game’s wrong- England v Argentina & Portugal v Fiji. Think I might have plummeted down the leaderboard with 0/4 in the quarter finals 🙈
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Dokie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:03 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:42 pm 4 excellent games with for me the correct winners in all of them. I went 3 from 4 the only one I got wrong was France.

Been playing in a score prediction game on line all tournament on Superbru. Only got two game’s wrong- England v Argentina & Portugal v Fiji. Think I might have plummeted down the leaderboard with 0/4 in the quarter finals 🙈
Think you might have let heart rule head there