LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by RagingBull »

Not a jock wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:37 pm I suspect Raging Bull is on the same substance as the England head coach.
hmm maybe although a prem game isn't the same standard as RWC quarter final.

I just rate Shillcock that highly tbh.
I don't think all fit Steward should be at 12 obviously.

But if injuries happen at centre like last season it's something I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Or during a game if a centre got injured and we had no centre replacements on the bench
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Our best back line in my opinion is JVP, Pollard , OHC, Kelly, Porter/Kata, Bassett, Steward although it peeves me to omit Shilcock but makes sense to have in on bench covering 10/15
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:48 pm Our best back line in my opinion is JVP, Pollard , OHC, Kelly, Porter/Kata, Bassett, Steward although it peeves me to omit Shilcock but makes sense to have in on bench covering 10/15
All fit I would go with
9. Youngs, 10. Pollard, 11. OHC, 12. Kelly, 13. Scott, 14. Watson/Bassett, 15. Steward
21. JVP, 22. Shillcock, 23. Porter/Kata

But it's still something that sort of tempts me to have a look at IF injuries mount at 12.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:53 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:48 pm Our best back line in my opinion is JVP, Pollard , OHC, Kelly, Porter/Kata, Bassett, Steward although it peeves me to omit Shilcock but makes sense to have in on bench covering 10/15
All fit I would go with
9. Youngs, 10. Pollard, 11. OHC, 12. Kelly, 13. Scott, 14. Watson/Bassett, 15. Steward
21. JVP, 22. Shillcock, 23. Porter/Kata

But it's still something that sort of tempts me to have a look at IF injuries mount at 12.
It’s the versatility for me. Might also allow Steward to add to his game. We all know how solid he is at the back and he did start to show more in attack with a step and beating the first man. We know he’s quick (deceptively for his size despite what many other rugby fans think at other clubs) so a bit of a change in the vision might be good.

A lot of it gives us options depending on the opposition. If we want a quicker game, maybe Shillcock at 15 to act as a dual playmaker to get width. If it’s a stodgy game and the back 3 is targeted then Steward all day long.

We’ve said depth is key and having options to play different game plans and not be 1 dimensional. I think this backline when all is back from the WC gives us that. It may take some time to gel in, but the depth really is there imo.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

If Watson doesn't stay I think there is a real argument for a back three of 11. OHC 14. Steward 15. Shillcock with Shillcock and Steward interchanging depending on position on the pitch
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Didn’t consider Watson as not confirmed YET also forgot about Scott. Regarding scrum half thought Powell looked really good against Falcons but not so good against Bristol so not sure between him and JVP
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/10/14/t ... nes-walks/

It's the wording of that last sentence...
If available, McKellar would be the No.1 Australian target.
I don't see him making himself available
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:02 am Rory Sutherland signed for French tier two team according to TRP
https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... o-oyonnax/

This is I assume the article you describe here, but I'll point out Oyonnax are in the Top 14 not Pro D2 so he'll be in the top tier in France not the 2nd tier.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:58 am
ay2oh wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:02 am Rory Sutherland signed for French tier two team according to TRP
https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... o-oyonnax/

This is I assume the article you describe here, but I'll point out Oyonnax are in the Top 14 not Pro D2 so he'll be in the top tier in France not the 2nd tier.
oh ok my mistake
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:15 am https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/10/14/t ... nes-walks/

some here will pay for his ticket if the comments after Friday are anything to go on lol
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:15 am https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/10/14/t ... nes-walks/

I'd hope he wouldn't.

But whilst I don't think it's likely, it would have to be a consideration wouldn't it? If Australia said "look, we've made a mistake here, it should have gone to you in the first place" and they give the assurance that he'd have the whole 4 years to build to the next World Cup... it sounds attractive. Add to the mix that English Rugby is on it's haunches...

If you were a conspiracy theorist, the lack of hunger in the first half on Friday night was right out of the typical Tigers playbook of the last decade of being lackluster on a Friday night, something I thought we'd got past under Steve. Maybe, there are rumours flying around the dressing room at the moment. Don't forget the players only got told last minute by Steve.

I really don't think he'll go, but I also don't think it would be an easy decision. I'd imagine the club would benefit financially from it, and I also don't think there would be negotiation, more a "this is how much it'll cost, pay it, or don't."

You never know, in 6 months we might all be wishing that he had gone!!
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:07 am Hear me out but say if the backline was fit but Kelly got injured would it be worth a try slotting Steward at 12?

9. Youngs
10. Pollard
11. OHC
12. Steward
13. Scott
14. Watson (?)
15. Shillcock

Honestly I would rather Woodward and Porter at 12 but I just rate Shillcock that highly he's got that Alex Goode factor
If we had Shillcock at 15, why not Steward at 13 with Kelly at 12 (aside from the long list of 13s) or maybe Shillcock at 12/13 similar to Lozowski?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I could be wrong but I think that all this discussion of Steward to 12 comes off the back of what Jordie Barrett has achieved and their physical similarities.
At this stage in his still very young career, Steward is no where near as good an all round player as Barrett, who has started 1st class games in every back position except scrum half.
That may come but he is an excellent 15 let’s leave him there for the time being and let him do his thing
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I have wondered if centre may be his long term future.
He could make a bullock of a centre where his lack of absolute pace is perhaps not going to hinder him in the way his attacking is presently.

He has the handling and kicking ability to make him an alternative receiver.

From a Tigers angle we are thin on both positions (FB and centre) so such a swap would create one problem as it solves another)
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:51 pm I have wondered if centre may be his long term future.
He could make a bullock of a centre where his lack of absolute pace is perhaps not going to hinder him in the way his attacking is presently.

He has the handling and kicking ability to make him an alternative receiver.

From a Tigers angle we are thin on both positions (FB and centre) so such a swap would create one problem as it solves another)
Tbh I wouldn't say we are thin at Fullback at all.

Steward
(Probably) Watson
Shillcock
Brown

Are all top quality choices at 15

Atkinson, Bassett, Simmons have all played there a fair bit