RWC 2023 Fixtures and results

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: RWC 2023 Fixtures and results

Post by Rugbygramps »

Dokie wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:56 pm The easiest one to call for me is Wales/Argentina (happy for someone to copy and paste this afterwards to clown me haha) but I just think Wales are too too good all round for Argentina. Wales are very consistent and do everything well and I just can't see them losing.

You’re a top pundit Scott.
Argentina are going to surprise a few. And for once LRZ won’t be the fastest player on the pitch
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

It would annoy me to see Wales win but I think we Need Montoya back more than we need Reffel at the moment so happy for them to win.
Freddie is getting a very well deserved week off .. he must have been one of the most overworked players in world rugby alongside Montoya in the last couple of years, so happy that he’s sitting this one out. Ben should come back fit as a flea because he’s hardly played .. Big George has mainly been doing 20 mins a game so hopefully he’s ok when he gets back .. Chez will need a rest! As Will Old Dan Cole!
manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

Just how does Alex Mitchell retain his place? He was awful vs Samoa and lacks any creativity. Much better when Care came on.
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:09 pm
Dokie wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:56 pm The easiest one to call for me is Wales/Argentina (happy for someone to copy and paste this afterwards to clown me haha) but I just think Wales are too too good all round for Argentina. Wales are very consistent and do everything well and I just can't see them losing.

Argentina are going to surprise a few. And for once LRZ won’t be the fastest player on the pitch
Not so sure. Carreras has only got short legs!!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Dokie wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:47 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:09 pm

Not so sure. Carreras has only got short legs!!
I think as the race got further LRZ would have him but over 40 yards I’m going Carreras
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Has Arundel daring to stand up to shoulder boy cost him any further chance of playing in this tournament (assuming England do progress)? :smt017
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:07 pm Has Arundel daring to stand up to shoulder boy cost him any further chance of playing in this tournament (assuming England do progress)? :smt017
2 questions, would you pick him in the semi final anyway, and do we know for sure that’s what happened. At the moment as far as I’m aware this has come from Andy Goode, saying he has it on good authority
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fentiger wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:07 pm Has Arundel daring to stand up to shoulder boy cost him any further chance of playing in this tournament (assuming England do progress)? :smt017
Shoulder boy tell ‘em,yoooouuuuuuuuuuu :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:30 pm
2 questions, would you pick him in the semi final anyway, and do we know for sure that’s what happened. At the moment as far as I’m aware this has come from Andy Goode, saying he has it on good authority
Probably did happen, as we know (and he rightly received praise for his stance on the matter at Tigers) Borthwick places discipline on a pedestal. Just that at times it seems hypocritical when (at least to outside eyes) players such as Farrell keep getting picked despite their poor discipline (IMO it should be applied equally to both on and off-field discipline).
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The more I have seen of Borthwick as England head coach the more happy I feel about our coaching situation.
I don't think he is a coach that handles things going against him very well.

Granted he's a young coach still so that's expected.

Still maintain that if Borthwick had finished that season we would've been lucky to get into the semi final spot
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:58 pm The more I have seen of Borthwick as England head coach the more happy I feel about our coaching situation.
I don't think he is a coach that handles things going against him very well.

Granted he's a young coach still so that's expected.

Still maintain that if Borthwick had finished that season we would've been lucky to get into the semi final spot
I do agree. I think he is an excellent coach, and when you’re at a club you can get away with that, but once you’re on the national stage everything is in a goldfish bowl and those are the bits he doesn’t handle well. Mckellar seems so much more comfortable.

With the Farrell situation, I don’t mind him playing 10, he was excellent last season for Sarries and possesses far more than a kicking game.
However if the stuff regarding a fight with Arundell is true, and Arundell has been disciplined, it could be he’s just not been picked, then why hasn’t Farrell also been disciplined. Coaches will have their favourites and won’t harm their side, but you would also hope that they would be fair to both players.
As an example New Zealand have dropped Telia, but the bloke replacing him isn’t bad. Had that been Ardie Savea for example would he have been so quick to drop him from the Irish game.
Final point about Arundell, yes he scored 5 tries but tbh if either OHC or Bassett had been playing in that game against that opposition, I would have expected them to have scored 5 tries too. I wouldn’t then expect them to be playing against Fiji
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

No Jasper in the South Africa 23 and Pollard on the bench.
Jasper did take a hit to the head last week!
Reffel picked for Wales: maybe to combat Montoya at the breakdown.
Freddie Steward needs a rest and I doubt Fiji will do much kicking!
It’s going to be an interesting weekend in the Premiership and The World Cup!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

its was in one of the papers today that Farrell had screamed at Arundell that he should "chase those f****** kicks" seems very likely that what Andy Goode heard was true
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I like Marcus Smith, but part of me hopes he is absolutely hopeless and at fault for England going out at the weekend, then maybe some of these idiots would show more respect to Freddie and what he does
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:46 pm I like Marcus Smith, but part of me hopes he is absolutely hopeless and at fault for England going out at the weekend, then maybe some of these idiots would show more respect to Freddie and what he does
Considering he’s been the only English player to appear in the lists of world top 10 players the tide does seem to have turned against him