Places to eat/drink

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ashfieldtiger66

Places to eat/drink

Post by Ashfieldtiger66 »

Hiya all
I haven't been to Welford Road for 11 years and i bet things have changed around WR since then?
Where are the best places to eat before the match, we will be arriving by train around 12.30ish for the Sale game on 21/10.
It looks like like the surrounding area has changed quite a bit and a hotel built where the car park used to be .

Thank you
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: Places to eat/drink

Post by mightymouse »

Depends what you like to eat and drink

Excellent Pizza at Peters .. easy walking distance to the ground
If you’re not bothered about what you drink then
The Lair in the new hotel is fine and very convenient
If you like real ale then Duffys near Peters, is a good pub. Sir Robert Peel and the Brickies are still there. One of my favourites is The Kings head on King Street
Ashfieldtiger66

Post by Ashfieldtiger66 »

Thank you very much, i should really have stated that i like real ales, used to go to a place called the vaults but i am guessing that no longer exists, what is the plaza like at the ground?
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

The Rutland AndDerby in Millstone Lane is popular with Tigers and away fans:
http://www.therutlandandderby.co.uk/

The Knight and Garter( same owner as the R and D, Sam Haggar( a Tigers’ Season Ticket Holder) is also popular:

https://www.knightandgarter.co.uk/

Both are about 10-12 minutes walk from Tigers. You can get food at the bar where there’s a decent selection of beer, lager and Guinness.

Otherwise those mentioned by the previous poster though the two above are, in my opinion, and my mates, best for food and pints.

Have a great day and let’s hope we can get revenge for those 3 defeats last season!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

If you like good beer then the Two Tailed Lion is on Mill Stone Lane and close to the R&D etc that have been mentioned.

Kayal just down from the station does some very nice food.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

The place I should have mentioned, which is where I go before the game is the Regent club on Regent Road. it’s a private members club that always reminds me of The Winchester in Minder! The ale is cheap but always good, the food is cheap and cheerful. The place is full of Tigers fans, .. just ask someone to sign you in .. but then Again they’re not that strict anyway so you could just blag it …or if there’s a few of you .. one become a member (it’s about 12 quid) .. you’d save it in the first couple of rounds!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Ashfieldtiger66 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:56 pm Thank you very much, i should really have stated that i like real ales, used to go to a place called the vaults but i am guessing that no longer exists, what is the plaza like at the ground?
The Vaults is long gone I am afraid. The Sir Robert Peel is worthwhile in the classic pub mould with decent beer
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

The Blue Boar also on Millstone Lane is very good and their cheese and onion cobs are legendary.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Castle Inn in the Castle Gardens is good - real ale and Scotch eggs/Pies etc for snack type food.

Herb is one of the top restuarants in the world (no really) - vegan Keralan food which is just incredible, like you've never tasted before, and great value for the Thali. The restuarant is owned by the same people that run Kayal.

Maurizio's is probably the best pizza and pasta place in town - nice family owned place with no pretentions but awesome food. highly recommended. Again decent value and close walking distance to the Two Tailed Lion and R&D etc

Craft Ale wise then Tonne in St Martin's Square is good as is Sommar on Hotel Street so close to Tonne.

Further away from the ground next to the Curve Theatre will see the old Manhattan 54 bar changed into a branch of the Real Ale Classroom which, if its as good as the branches in Lutterworth and Allendale Road, will be a great spot for a decent pint. I believe it will open early November.