LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by sam16111986 »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:20 pm Sutherland no longer in World Cup and listed as unattached ! Will those rumours be true ? If so, I suppose we’re about to find out!
It might have not been previously but if Cronin has a bad injury then could be an injury dispensation option.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Wouldn’t say no to Sutherland
A2O
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66890447

certainly would love to have hm on boaed
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If we could confirm Sutherland and Watson I feel we would be in a perfect position coming into next season

Kata I think will look good in the backs either as a carrier in the centres or wing
LtPigeon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LtPigeon »

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/conten ... ter-tigers

An interview with DMcK that seems to indicate that Watson has been released
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

LtPigeon wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:58 pm https://www.premiershiprugby.com/conten ... ter-tigers

Not sure if that is from DMcK or just the editorial comment from the Prem Rugby website but whichever, they seem to be confirming a departure.

Again though, it could all be semantics in the Watson may have needed to formally leave the club to sign the training contract with England for salary cap reasons. Who knows.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:09 pm
LtPigeon wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:58 pm https://www.premiershiprugby.com/conten ... ter-tigers

Not sure if that is from DMcK or just the editorial comment from the Prem Rugby website but whichever, they seem to be confirming a departure.

Again though, it could all be semantics in the Watson may have needed to formally leave the club to sign the training contract with England for salary cap reasons. Who knows.
Definitely reading this as Prem rugby not McKellar who's written this.

In the same way that England squad stated he was unattached. We know that he was signed to the RFU for a few months. I'm still pretty confident he's rejoining us this season, even if he "left" us for part of the season, just his contract will be for 8 or 9 months not 12.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:01 pm
GB72 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:09 pm

Definitely reading this as Prem rugby not McKellar who's written this.

In the same way that England squad stated he was unattached. We know that he was signed to the RFU for a few months. I'm still pretty confident he's rejoining us this season, even if he "left" us for part of the season, just his contract will be for 8 or 9 months not 12.
I think you have to look at the fact that we have not announced a departure which I am sure we would have done if he had fully left. Also, nobody else has announced his signing which I am sure they would to sell season tickets and Watson is too good to not have a club. Guess we will find out in 7-14 days depending on whether England exit the world cup this week or next week.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

don't think Watson can sign until the World Cup is over due to his RFU deal
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Sutherland would be a great signing given how few games poor Cronin stays fit for!
Sadly I doubt if we e got any room left in the salary cap especially after signing
Woollatt from Jersey Reds.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:42 pm Sutherland would be a great signing given how few games poor Cronin stays fit for!
Sadly I doubt if we e got any room left in the salary cap especially after signing
Woollatt short term signing wingers a lot cheaper than props
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:42 pm Sutherland would be a great signing given how few games poor Cronin stays fit for!
Woollett will almost certainly be injury dispensation (hence why he was short term) for Simmons so is unlikely to affect the salary cap at all
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:13 pm don't think Watson can sign until the World Cup is over due to his RFU deal
Another way of looking at it is that, if Watson had signed for a club outside of England, he certainly would have been announced already. And there is no way that someone like him would not have been given a lucrative (even if short term - 1 year) contract in France or Japan by this point.

All signs lead to him staying in England, and various noises and social media posts suggest he is staying here - but we may not get confirmation until after the World Cup.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:59 pm
Woollett will almost certainly be injury dispensation (hence why he was short term) for Simmons so is unlikely to affect the salary cap at all
Given the average salary for a player at Jersey was £25k I doubt we'd be breaking the bank to bring him in. It's more likely an extended trial whilst Simmons is unavailable.

On the Watson debate, if he was fit I'm sure the RFU would happily let him be announced and join up with his Prem club officially. For starters he'd be getting game time and actually be an option for England should an injury arise as opposed to having no match fitness like he would be now if he was fit and England suddenly needed a replacement.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I wonder if we spotted any possible Portuguese signings?