Re: RWC 2023 Fixtures and results

Post by ads »

Uruguay have been great, but Dmac WOW!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ads wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:42 pm Uruguay have been great, but Dmac WOW!
Wow what a player, so fast, so tricky, great step, so fit, could Marcus Smith have the ability to play like him?

But it wouldnt be in an England side who barely know how to run and pass.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:55 pm
Wow what a player, so fast, so tricky, great step, so fit, could Marcus Smith have the ability to play like him?

I get what people are saying about Dmac, but let’s not forget that he doesn’t get in the strongest New Zealand 15 and quite often doesn’t make the bench. Yes they play 2 player makers with Barrett at 15 , and with the slightly more conservative Mounga at 10.
That victory came last night because their forwards won the battle and were much better at set piece giving the backs quick ball.
Just a point about the non running passing England team who put 71 points on a Chile side who have a similar world ranking to Uruguay
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

There seems to be a tide turning against Freddie Steward; going from wunderkind to too slow. Is his pace a problem?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:45 am There seems to be a tide turning against Freddie Steward; going from wunderkind to too slow. Is his pace a problem?
Not really. I guess part of it is that people are never happy and the fact that he does the job he is there for very well is not enough, part of it is that they want to shoehorn in Marcus Smith somewhere and part of if is that they expect the full back to be running the length of the pitch after every take and if he does not he is slow. It also just plays into the ever popular boring England rhetoric.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:45 am There seems to be a tide turning against Freddie Steward; going from wunderkind to too slow. Is his pace a problem?
I think there are question marks over his ability to turn and accelerate purely down to the length of his levers. Once in stride he isn’t slow by any means.
The issue is that he has become so good with the ball in the air that the opposition now kick away from him. If it is his ball then he will take and make ground. He is still Englands best all round full back which Borthwick knows.
Englands issue is the lack of a 2nd playmaker which other teams play at 15, hence the effort to shoehorn both Ford and Farrell in the same side
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:21 am
I think there are question marks over his ability to turn and accelerate purely down to the length of his levers. Once in stride he isn’t slow by any means.
The issue is that he has become so good with the ball in the air that the opposition now kick away from him. If it is his ball then he will take and make ground. He is still Englands best all round full back which Borthwick knows.
Englands issue is the lack of a 2nd playmaker which other teams play at 15, hence the effort to shoehorn both Ford and Farrell in the same side
The thing for me is this.

The reason your fullback is the best in your team in a high ball is because they are positioned to take it where the best kicks will go. So if you have a fullback who is that good they kick away from them, you are giving yourself other opportunities.

Steward will remain the 15 choice, what Smith gives is the ability to do something different in that last 20 with space against tiring legs in a world cup semifinal down by 8 that is when you roll the dice.

Against any of France, Ireland, South Africa or New Zealand they will exploit him in the first 60, but if consistency keeps us in a game the likes of a Smith may take us over the line. That's the Borthwick way, he did it many times with us.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:20 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:21 am
The thing for me is this.

The reason your fullback is the best in your team in a high ball is because they are positioned to take it where the best kicks will go. So if you have a fullback who is that good they kick away from them, you are giving yourself other opportunities.

Steward will remain the 15 choice, what Smith gives is the ability to do something different in that last 20 with space against tiring legs in a world cup semifinal down by 8 that is when you roll the dice.

Against any of France, Ireland, South Africa or New Zealand they will exploit him in the first 60, but if consistency keeps us in a game the likes of a Smith may take us over the line. That's the Borthwick way, he did it many times with us.
Totally agree with this
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The problem is shoehorning players in just because of who they are! It effects the balance. Because Farrell has to come back in,for some reason,Manu is pushed out and then you can't have Daly as the extra playmaker because of his defensive deficiencies so you have to play Marchant. What was wrong with just benching Farrell and keeping things the way they are?! It's all very England football manager to me!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Talks of Fiji joining the RC immediately post RWC,great news if so!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

No problem with Farrell being in the side: he can play, as Ford can, either a kicking game or a running game, and both players know each other so well. The only problem is if both are confused as to who should dictate play: it has to be the Fly Half with Farrell playing what he sees in front of him! Always liked two kickers in a team or even 3 as I grew up watching Hare, Cusworth and Dodge( and Wheeler) as good kickers!
Quietly optimistic England can get through to the Final!!!
Should be a great weekend of rugby: greatest chance of springing a surprise? None in the World Cup but I’m nervous about Tigers!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:17 am

I get what people are saying about Dmac, but let’s not forget that he doesn’t get in the strongest New Zealand 15 and quite often doesn’t make the bench. Yes they play 2 player makers with Barrett at 15 , and with the slightly more conservative Mounga at 10.
That victory came last night because their forwards won the battle and were much better at set piece giving the backs quick ball.
Just a point about the non running passing England team who put 71 points on a Chile side who have a similar world ranking to Uruguay
TBF fair my post was just after the tap back pass to Jordan from the touch line for the wonder try. I wasn't referring to the whole match.
He was probably player of the match for me though.
I actually though the forwards were pretty poor and coughed a lot of ball in open play. NZ pack should always be beating Uruguay in scrums, maul and rucks. Thought it was the backs that really made the difference.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ads wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:18 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:17 am

TBF fair my post was just after the tap back pass to Jordan from the touch line for the wonder try. I wasn't referring to the whole match.
He was probably player of the match for me though.
I actually though the forwards were pretty poor and coughed a lot of ball in open play. NZ pack should always be beating Uruguay in scrums, maul and rucks. Thought it was the backs that really made the difference.
Oh don’t get me wrong that was an outrageous piece of skill and he was excellent. Take your point about New Zealand pack but they still produced enough go forward ball.
My point about Dmac is yes he does all this magical stuff but still isn’t regularly picked by the All Black coaches. Maybe Scott Robinson will think differently though I can’t see him looking past Mounga
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

I’ll go France by 31 tonight
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Dokie wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:03 pm I’ll go France by 31 tonight