Catering at MWWF this season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Catering at MWWF this season

Post by WirralExile »

I attended my first game of the season on Saturday, and whilst I haven't moved my seats, I am now in the Tradeview Markets stand, the "big" stand opposite the Crumbie/tunnel. The catering outlets on the lower tier/ground floor appear to have had a few changes this season, with Korean Bao buns being introduced and the pie outlet at the Aylestone Road end now doing burgers (£14.95 for a double cheese burger!!).

They have also appeared to have taken one of the Final Whistle Bar windows away and replaced with self service beer taps. This may reduce queues when there is a full house, but what may reduce the queues even more is the price of a pint £5.90! My son, who was up for the weekend from Frimley, near Farnborough, commented that those prices are higher than he pays "down south". Self service was the same price as having a human pour it for me too.

I will certainly be thinking twice about buying any food or drink at the ground in future. There seems to have been a bit of price hike this season and it will put me, and I'm sure many others, off using the catering outlets at the ground.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
TigerXV

Re: Catering at MWWF this season

Post by TigerXV »

WirralExile wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:56 pm I attended my first game of the season on Saturday, and whilst I haven't moved my seats, I am now in the Tradeview Markets stand, the "big" stand opposite the Crumbie/tunnel. The catering outlets on the lower tier/ground floor appear to have had a few changes this season, with Korean Bao buns being introduced and the pie outlet at the Aylestone Road end now doing burgers (£14.95 for a double cheese burger!!).

They have also appeared to have taken one of the Final Whistle Bar windows away and replaced with self service beer taps. This may reduce queues when there is a full house, but what may reduce the queues even more is the price of a pint £5.90! My son, who was up for the weekend from Frimley, near Farnborough, commented that those prices are higher than he pays "down south". Self service was the same price as having a human pour it for me too.

I will certainly be thinking twice about buying any food or drink at the ground in future. There seems to have been a bit of price hike this season and it will put me, and I'm sure many others, off using the catering outlets at the ground.
it is expensive but it is what it is - I typically have 2/3 pints at a game and for the sake of the extra £1 or so it costs me overall will continue to do so with the hope that the extra cash helps the club. The cost of a pint is broadly similar to most sports grounds (it costs £5.80 I think at the Walkers). I've never bought food at the ground unless I've got a bargain at the end as they sell off what they have cheap!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerXV wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:33 pm
WirralExile wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:56 pm I attended my first game of the season on Saturday, and whilst I haven't moved my seats, I am now in the Tradeview Markets stand, the "big" stand opposite the Crumbie/tunnel. The catering outlets on the lower tier/ground floor appear to have had a few changes this season, with Korean Bao buns being introduced and the pie outlet at the Aylestone Road end now doing burgers (£14.95 for a double cheese burger!!).

it is expensive but it is what it is - I typically have 2/3 pints at a game and for the sake of the extra £1 or so it costs me overall will continue to do so with the hope that the extra cash helps the club. The cost of a pint is broadly similar to most sports grounds (it costs £5.80 I think at the Walkers). I've never bought food at the ground unless I've got a bargain at the end as they sell off what they have cheap!
I think that’s very fair point it is expensive but is it comparable with other sports stadiums the theatre or cinema. As Wirralexile says it’s your choice
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

£15 for a burger?! Hope you get chips,salad and American mustard with that :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

The last time I went to Sale, ‘early bird’ fans benefitted from half-price food & drink between 1-2pm.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

JGT57 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:15 pm The last time I went to Sale, ‘early bird’ fans benefitted from half-price food & drink between 1-2pm.
That's a good idea if the cashless systems allow for repricing/discount
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

With due respect I never understand why people buy food and drink at sporting, music, theatre events of a couple of hours or less if they aren't happy with what is on offer. Tigers for example is 15 minutes or walk less from a host of the other options for pre and post match refreshment. You only need to go to the ground to watch the game.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

A fair point well made, Ourla
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

A fair point well made, Ourla
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ourla wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:48 pm With due respect I never understand why people buy food and drink at sporting, music, theatre events of a couple of hours or less if they aren't happy with what is on offer. Tigers for example is 15 minutes or walk less from a host of the other options for pre and post match refreshment. You only need to go to the ground to watch the game.
Totally agree there are plenty of better priced food outlets close to the ground and surely people can go a couple of hours without a pint
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

ourla wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:48 pm With due respect I never understand why people buy food and drink at sporting, music, theatre events of a couple of hours or less if they aren't happy with what is on offer. Tigers for example is 15 minutes or walk less from a host of the other options for pre and post match refreshment. You only need to go to the ground to watch the game.
Fine in theory but not always practical. If you stand on the terrace and have a youngster (or two) in tow, as I do, and you need to get there early to get a spot at the front on the terrace.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:05 pm
Fine in theory but not always practical. If you stand on the terrace and have a youngster (or two) in tow, as I do, and you need to get there early to get a spot at the front on the terrace.
out of interest are fans allowed to take in sarnies/crisps and soft drinks in plastic bottles?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerXV wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:17 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:05 pm
out of interest are fans allowed to take in sarnies/crisps and soft drinks in plastic bottles?
We've never been stopped from going in with food/drinks. They just won't let you in with cans/alcohol.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Drinks prices at Grace Road similar to Tigers’.
I buy at both, to support the clubs as much as anything, but it’s also sociable to share a drink with friends while watching and commenting on the game on progress. And from the various comments in other sections about the future of rugby, we’d better make the most of every opportunity before it’s too late 🙁
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Rugby has always been a social game and the opportunity to talk to friends and opposition fans is a key part of the enjoyment of the day. There is not the money in rugby to find the overheads without making the stadium earn more than simply the entrance fee for the match. They were lovely days but do we really want to return to a few hundred watching amateur players often on not more than a public pitch. Of course even then we adjourned to the clubhouse after the game whether watching it playing.