Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Rugbygramps »

There is also this mysterious capped loose head we have signed
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:12 pm I have seen Richardson play both sides reasonably well..I think.Hoyt is ready and able to play some.minutes at tightness of needed but our depth at loosehead is not as good, I am slightly concerned that Cronin seems to be picking up injuries at this stage of his career it may be that we need to find a replacement for West. I do have confidence in Whitcombe and Van Wyke but know nothing about the younger props mentioned.
Thanks!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:16 pm
sk 88 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:56 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:15 am Interesting Laurie Fisher was with us earlier in the week.
Guessing with Petrus in Japan ATM he was filling that hole.

Petrus dP and Fisher is a hell of a experience for our forwards.

I'm not worried about McKeller if he goes we will get a pay off that would be big enough to buy out someone like Joesph from the Highlanders.

But honestly with how deep the Aus mess is I feel McKeller will avoid it for a RWC cycle.
Petrus was at the game on Sunday.

Hopefully Fisher has not had too much of an influence on McKellar's view of the Premiership, he was not particularly impressive to me at Gloucester. Big reputation, small results, though you could say that's Gloucester's motto of the past 30 years.
Looking at his record I always felt it was more a case of he just wasn't Head Coach material, seems very highly rated as a forwards coach.
Wasn't that also a time at Glaws where the set up was a bit convoluted. Humphreys as DOR, Fisher as HC. I remember there being some confusion over who was the main man.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:26 pm There is also this mysterious capped loose head we have signed
Was that confirmed or just a rumour?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:49 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:26 pm There is also this mysterious capped loose head we have signed
Was that confirmed or just a rumour?
Never confirmed by the club but I’m sure one of the normally reliable posters said it had happened.
Bit like Watson we won’t know 100% until the club announces something
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

It's extremely clear that D-Mac wants the team to play more ball in hand and I think that the selection of van Wyk has been more for that reason due to his, generally, better handling skills than the other looseheads. I've been pretty critical of his scrummaging but our pack was dominant today with him at loosehead against what is likely to be close to Newcastle's starting pack in the league.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:48 pm It's extremely clear that D-Mac wants the team to play more ball in hand and I think that the selection of van Wyk has been more for that reason due to his, generally, better handling skills than the other looseheads. I've been pretty critical of his scrummaging but our pack was dominant today with him at loosehead against what is likely to be close to Newcastle's starting pack in the league.
I think Cronin's injury has also forced his hand a bit
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Come on lads let’s be a bit more original D-Mac is Damian McKenzie the AB
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Can I just say, I think FvW has actually played well ever since he came back from his red card and had his first kid.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I know we need a loosehead more than a tight head but the Fijian tighthead is a real unit I'd love to see in a tigers shirt. Must be a few potential bolters from sides like Fiji, Georgia etc. that can be quite cheap
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:32 pm I know we need a loosehead more than a tight head but the Fijian tighthead is a real unit I'd love to see in a tigers shirt. Must be a few potential bolters from sides like Fiji, Georgia etc. that can be quite cheap
Even the "lesser" teams have had standout individual performances. Martins for Portugal was immense against Wales at 7. They have some handy outside backs as well.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

I know we probably don’t have cap space, and there are probably other teams who could put bid us etc. however, it would be great to see us pick up a RWC bolter like Sousa Guedes, Storti, Marta, Martins, Amaya, Ayerza. Plenty of grunt and basics but that stardust too.

I wonder if there is a project back and/or a LH we might be looking at depending on Scott/Simmons and Cronin’s injuries?

Regardless I hope some of these guys get picked up by someone as there’s some talent in the shop window in these teams!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

From what I’ve understood a lot of the standout potential bolters are already playing in the French 2nd division, probably with better salaries than they would earn in the premiership
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With Cronin now confirmed injured and likely out for a while, then Loosehead has jumped up the priority list.

Even with a rumored "capped NH prop" unless he's finishing in the WC this week we have to be looking at injury dispensation I think.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Yes Cronin injury means we are another injury away from being very short there