Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by johnthegriff »

The attrition nature of Rugby is why clubs are reluctant to give contracts for more than a couple of years. At Leicester we are fortunate that of late we have a supply of young players coming through so our team will evolve without the massive churn of recent years but we do need some experience on the pitch to help develop the youngsters.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:18 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:08 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:14 pm TBH it seems to me that we’re not short of quality options across the back row…especially (as others have noted) with Ilione waiting for a chance to step up. Situation in the front row is arguably a little different…
McKellar has said in interviews how much he values continuity in sport. My point here is that I think our signings put us in a decent place for this season, but by the end of their (presumably two-year) contracts, Carter will be 36, Williams 33, Rogerson 32, Hatherell 30. We'll then likely need to make more changes again.
Carter is for a season. Williams is short term. The other 2 will still have plenty of miles in the tank especially given that neither has played regularly over the last season or so
Williams might not actually play a game it's just useful to have some experienced cover. Before he and Carter signed Wells at 29 was the oldest lock at the club and by 6 years. No other club in the league would go into a season relying solely on youth.

Hatherall is a great signing, very much in the mould we'd expect for our backrow. Rogerson should fit right in as well. We were lucky with injuries last season in that department and the ability to keep some of those guys in the backrow fresh for the business end. Liebenburg has been awesome for us but do we really want him to be playing 2,000 minute seasons?

They might not be long term signings but we don't just have long term goals. We want to win the league this season so there's go to be a balance in approach.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:00 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:15 pm Saracens squeeze room in their Salary cap for Juan Martin Gonzalez....
How do they do it, eh?
Off loaded Dom Morris on season long loan guess he won't be the last
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:27 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:00 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:15 pm Saracens squeeze room in their Salary cap for Juan Martin Gonzalez....
How do they do it, eh?
Off loaded Dom Morris on season long loan guess he won't be the last
With Daly, Tompkins and Cinti all possibly at the world cup that's a bold move. Lozowski will be relied upon it seems with one of Hartley, Hallett or Manu Vunipola out of position until the internationals get back.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Vakatawa to Bristol! Certainly fills of hole in their squad.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:19 pm Vakatawa to Bristol! Certainly fills of hole in their squad.
Didn’t realise he was coming out of retirement
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:19 pm Vakatawa to Bristol! Certainly fills of hole in their squad.
I'd imagine that could offer good value given the layoff and not being able to play in France for insurance reasons.

I like the look of a lot of Bristol's recruitment. Benhard Janse van Rensburg is a terrific centre. Ravouvou is very talented. Now Vakatawa. James Williams did well at 12 last season. Piers O'Conor may well end up playing wing.

Malins at fullback. Grondona in the back row. Marmion at SH.

Their squad has shrunk but quality has come in, which has generally served teams well with the reduced cap.

The same queries over the tight five depth are still there though.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yeh but I think it's pretty much proven that squad depth = the biggest key to winning the league.
Name me one winner who didn't have impressive squad depth.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:05 am Yeh but I think it's pretty much proven that squad depth = the biggest key to winning the league.
Name me one winner who didn't have impressive squad depth.
Absolutely agreed. As alluded to with the tight five comment. I think their depth in the backs and back row actually looks good now. Lower on numbers but high on quality compared to previously. The tight five then lags behind.

As said previously on the Tigers squad thread:

1.Cronin 2.Montoya 3.Cole 4.Martin 5.Chessum 6.Hanro 7.Reffell 8.Wiese
9.JvP/Youngs 10.Pollard 11.OHC 12.Kelly 13.Porter 14.Watson 15.Steward

That sort of XV can win you KO games.

1.Whitcombe 2.Dolly 3.Heyes 4.Wells 5.Henderson 6.Hatherell 7.Ilione 8.Rogerson
9.Powell 10.Atkinson 11.Simmons 12.Kata 13.Scott 14.Bassett 15.Shillcock

But that gets you to them.

It's why I have such high hopes for this season. Hatherell and Rogerson add massively to back row depth. Martin, Chessum and Henderson's development makes the second row depth very strong. Powell is an astute signing (and Lenny may well be available more). Shillcock and Kata add fantastic competition for 12 and 15 where it was needed. Bassett is a quality week in, week out performer. Ilione could be something special if he strings games together.

If there's scope to add a starting XV LH then the squad is looking in very good shape indeed.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Does show the depth, when you look at the next tier after the two mentioned above

1. FVW, 2. Clare, 3. Hurd, 4. Carter, 5. L Chessum, 6. Carnduff, 7. J Manz, 8. Cracknell, 9. Whitely, 10. Wilkinson, 11. Browning, 12. Woodward, 13. Cockanasiga, 14. Cusick, 15. Brown
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I honestly included Ilione as he was fresher in mind with Cracknell having not featured yet. Which is criminal as Cracknell was a signing I praised when announced and loved watching play last season. He's an excellent Premiership back row. In the most complimentary way possible, Tigers could use Cracknell as Sarries used Jackson Wray.

I'm really excited about what Woodward might do if he gets chances. He's the same age as Kelly when he made an impact and looks extremely talented. A centre hasn't come through from the academy in too long.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Sinckler and Ludlam to Toulon?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/WiganWarriorsRL/sta ... U8-HQ&s=19

There's some rumours floating around slowly getting stronger that Owen Farrell may be the replacement here in a switch to League.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

At 32 and having played professionally for getting on for 15 years, he may be looking for a new challenge.
I always thought he would be groomed to eventually take over from McCall at Sarries but maybe too early.

Am I right in saying he would take a big pay cut to move to league
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:42 pm At 32 and having played professionally for getting on for 15 years, he may be looking for a new challenge.
I always thought he would be groomed to eventually take over from McCall at Sarries but maybe too early.

Am I right in saying he would take a big pay cut to move to league
There's marquee players and dispensation for players that haven't played league before. So in terms of salary cap they'd get him in on a chunky wage, whether the club can afford it is another matter though you'd think they'd be able to drum up some sponsors who want their business linked with bringing Andy Farrell's centurion son home to league.