Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Rugbygramps »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:00 pm
AngusMcCoatup wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:59 pm After the fantastic win by Wales over the terrible moaning Aussies I am concerned that Dan Palmer ~ Tigers future Set piece coach will bring us their total lack of the packs skills to Tigers. Are we making a mistake? :smt017
He’s Australian line out coach I believe
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

By all means be critical and negative regarding coaches that have nothing to do with Tigers (aside from the fact that trial by jury where the jury is a combination of journalists and public has never been particularly reasonable or justified) but personally I’d appreciate it if incoming Tigers coaches are not subject to the same treatment…even before they have arrived. Not fair and in my opinion, not the sort of message we want to be sending.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Essentially Eddie Jones coming in meant the Aussies lost their forwards coach, really good guy, chap called McKellar (dunno where he ended up)

So to fix that they cobble together a band of coaches one of them is Dan Palmer.

Dan's background is he's an ex prop.

So after retiring his coaching career went something like this

Set piece coach - Brumbies
Scrum coach - Suntory Sungoliath
Asst coach - Australia A
Scrum coach - Brumbies

Then drafted in to Australia short term as a lineout coach as they have a scrum coach

Join us at Tigers as a scrum coach

All his coaching seems based on scrum coaching, except when EJ tries to shoehorn him in to a vacancy he can't fill...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

The whole lineout thing is a bit odd when Geoff Parling is employed by the Melbourne Rebels as a forwards coach and has previously helped out the Wallabies when they were short before. Eddie had a lineout savant in his back yard if he needed one.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting Laurie Fisher was with us earlier in the week.
Guessing with Petrus in Japan ATM he was filling that hole.

Petrus dP and Fisher is a hell of a experience for our forwards.

I'm not worried about McKeller if he goes we will get a pay off that would be big enough to buy out someone like Joesph from the Highlanders.

But honestly with how deep the Aus mess is I feel McKeller will avoid it for a RWC cycle.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Would jump at having Sam Grahamslaw back with the recent Jersey news.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:42 am Would jump at having Sam Grahamslaw back with the recent Jersey news.
Is he a LH or TH ?
A2O
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Sam is a LH these days. A well rated one too. He impressed at Edinburgh but they had depth in the position. Then he was in many Championship XVs of the season with Jersey.

Thinking longer term. Fischetti to Zebre is an odd move. It's a return to his roots but still an odd one. He's quietly turned into a top international LH. Zebre don't have a big budget and top Italy players have been funnelled into Treviso. I do wonder if that's a one year deal with LI going boom but something else is lined up from '24/25. That could be with Treviso. It could be in France. It could be another Premiership club. Or he could want to be back near home. It's complete conjecture on my part.

Fischetti is the sort of signing I would be happy with planning around a delayed arrival if he were a target for Tigers though
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:15 am Interesting Laurie Fisher was with us earlier in the week.
He and McKellar are quite close I believe. Fisher being fundamental to getting McKellar into the Brumbies and being a mentor as well as a friend iirc.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:15 am Interesting Laurie Fisher was with us earlier in the week.

I'm not worried about McKeller if he goes we will get a pay off that would be big enough to buy out someone like Joesph from the Highlanders.

But honestly with how deep the Aus mess is I feel McKeller will avoid it for a RWC cycle.
Pretty sure Petrus is back as think I saw him at the end of this clip before the game vs Ampthill

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... pvS-w&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:42 pm

Pretty sure Petrus is back as think I saw him at the end of this clip before the game vs Ampthill

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... pvS-w&s=19
yes saw him on the touch line last Saturday .
A2O
Puja

Post by Puja »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:53 pm Essentially Eddie Jones coming in meant the Aussies lost their forwards coach, really good guy, chap called McKellar (dunno where he ended up)

So to fix that they cobble together a band of coaches one of them is Dan Palmer.

Asst coach - Australia A
Scrum coach - Brumbies

Then drafted in to Australia short term as a lineout coach as they have a scrum coach

All his coaching seems based on scrum coaching, except when EJ tries to shoehorn him in to a vacancy he can't fill...
And their lineout looked pretty good as well. Dismantled the Fijian one and held up well against the Welsh. I've got no concerns about him.
markharbtiger wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:39 pm By all means be critical and negative regarding coaches that have nothing to do with Tigers (aside from the fact that trial by jury where the jury is a combination of journalists and public has never been particularly reasonable or justified) but personally I’d appreciate it if incoming Tigers coaches are not subject to the same treatment…even before they have arrived. Not fair and in my opinion, not the sort of message we want to be sending.
Spot on.

Puja
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Has anyone ever found out who glued Fishers hat to his head?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Petrus was at the game on Sunday.

Hopefully Fisher has not had too much of an influence on McKellar's view of the Premiership, he was not particularly impressive to me at Gloucester. Big reputation, small results, though you could say that's Gloucester's motto of the past 30 years.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:53 pm Essentially Eddie Jones coming in meant the Aussies lost their forwards coach, really good guy, chap called McKellar (dunno where he ended up)

Asst coach - Australia A
Scrum coach - Brumbies

I understand Palmer is taking over from PDP. after the cup.