Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Freddie Steward @ 12

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:49 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:05 pm
Baz wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:33 pm I'm surprised no one has mentioned that some of those same pundits are suggesting Smith for FB.
So, Steward, Daly, Smith runs the gamut from tallest to smallest. Daly is hopeless in the air; would Smith be able to compete? That Daly ever thought his best position is FB, and that Jones encouraged him, beggars belief. They can all catch a ball, but winning in the air? A step too far, I think.
Very true he had some time there against Ireland. Will beat the first man more often than not kicking game is ok, but he rest meh.
Beauden Barrett he ain’t
Smith in the backfield could be a great addition if England play it clever. You could name Smith at 15 and Steward on the wing but then not play a standard set up. Hide Smith on the wing and keep Freddie in position to field kicks. England tend to drop the 9 and 10 into the backfield so you'd probably sub the 9 into the defensive line and keep Steward back instead. In attack you've got Freddie on the wing to run off the shoulder of the 9/10 or hig the touchline for the crossfield kick and Smith as the extra playmaker.
You really can’t hide anyone in test rugby they will get found out
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Steward at 15 probably works fine in a functioning backline - something England doesn’t have. He also probably needs to be paired with pacy wingers like OHC, Murley, Freeman, Radwan - they’re all rapid.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

once back with Tigers if DK gets another lengthy injury spell this is something I would try with out options at FB, would mean Guy can stay at 13 which is by far his best position
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:07 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:49 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:05 pm

Very true he had some time there against Ireland. Will beat the first man more often than not kicking game is ok, but he rest meh.
Beauden Barrett he ain’t
Smith in the backfield could be a great addition if England play it clever. You could name Smith at 15 and Steward on the wing but then not play a standard set up. Hide Smith on the wing and keep Freddie in position to field kicks. England tend to drop the 9 and 10 into the backfield so you'd probably sub the 9 into the defensive line and keep Steward back instead. In attack you've got Freddie on the wing to run off the shoulder of the 9/10 or hig the touchline for the crossfield kick and Smith as the extra playmaker.
You really can’t hide anyone in test rugby they will get found out
Smith took a really good high ball, in the air under pressure yesterday. He's been working on it I think. It was only one, but that really was the only one that came his way.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Is Freddie starting to go the way of George Worth, who looked great at FB then faded and then tried at centre, then disappeared? Mike Brown is still very good and possibly a better attacking FB than Freddie :smt038 .
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

LE18 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:31 pm Is Freddie starting to go the way of George Worth, who looked great at FB then faded and then tried at centre, then disappeared? Mike Brown is still very good and possibly a better attacking FB than Freddie :smt038 .
not at all he would clearly still be our first choice FB in our strongest XV but some of us are wondering if he could excel, given his attributes, as a 12, even if he got dropped from England he would still be a world class 15 for us
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Steward was hailed as a world class player for being good in the air and very little else.

Now being good in the air and very little else means he's struggling with form and is a problem?

Seriously, the way we build up young sports people's reputations in this country, beyond all sense of reality, and then the speed and enthusiasm with which we knock them down is truly incredible.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Personally I think Steward needs time off Rugby. I'd primarily use Shillcock & Brown till Christmas.

Guy needs a break to recover properly.

Even these world cup warm ups, because Arundell had a knock, Watson is out, Daly has an injury and I think Malins had one earlier too, all that has meant he's spent loads of time at 15 when he probably should have only started 2 games
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I just wonder if Freddie could do with a session with GM to just recalibrate what's what, a fresh but familiar voice might help?

My view is if Freddie was an Athlete he would be a 400m runner rather than a 100m one.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:48 pm I just wonder if Freddie could do with a session with GM to just recalibrate what's what, a fresh but familiar voice might help?

My view is if Freddie was an Athlete he would be a 400m runner rather than a 100m one.
its his defence that's the biggest issue at test level the pace of wingers leads to him getting stepped badly like in the Ireland game
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I think most players would get stepped in the same situation. Its being blown out of proportion.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Pace won't stop you getting stepped. It's about decision making, anticipation, agility and how quickly you can change direction. Even with all those attributes, you're still getting stepped 90% of the time if the ball carrier is a decent back who's running at you at high speed.

If your 15 is regularly having one on ones defensively, the problem isn't his tackling, it's something that has already happened further up the pitch.