Rugby World Cup warm up games

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Rugby World Cup warm up games

Post by Scott1 »

He could be in trouble here! They don't show enough replays at the time but that's high with no dip. Did he wrap?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Pyper was standing right next to it so if he said Marler hit the ball not the head then he should be correct.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

The TMO looked at it, and said there was no clear evidence of head contact.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

TiltonTiger wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:43 pm Is Freddie going to be the scapegoat here? Already last week his performance was being questioned. Does seem odd he started all four games.
Having just checked on-line, I think Freddie played 32 games last year (started 31) and has already played 29 (started 28) this year. That is 61 games in two years! I realise when you're 22 you think you're mostly indestructible, but...
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Noticed some rabid commentary from certain journalists in the media (who all can see the simple solutions). However Woodward is more measured (not to say he isn't critical). At least he has some credentials to comment
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ntina.html
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

I think in general too much emotional energy has been spent obsessing over these warm up games by the press and the fans, as other posters have mentioned before not every international needs to be a full blooded do or die test match and I think it creates a very unhealthy environment or atmosphere for coaches and players to operate in. For me the start of the WC has been spoiled by this and I have found myself completely uninterested in any build up coverage of the tournament and frankly I would rather have the games on mute than listen to most of the commentary on England games. I really don't think England as bad as much of the furore would have you believe but the perception of them is at the lowest point I can ever remember and I cannot see anyway out of this hole.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

wigworth wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:05 pm I think in general too much emotional energy has been spent obsessing over these warm up games by the press and the fans, as other posters have mentioned before not every international needs to be a full blooded do or die test match and I think it creates a very unhealthy environment or atmosphere for coaches and players to operate in. For me the start of the WC has been spoiled by this and I have found myself completely uninterested in any build up coverage of the tournament and frankly I would rather have the games on mute than listen to most of the commentary on England games. I really don't think England as bad as much of the furore would have you believe but the perception of them is at the lowest point I can ever remember and I cannot see anyway out of this hole.
Agreed. I've seen a comment on X by Ellis G on the tendency to "write us off now" by some.
I forget who it was who said 'opinions are like :censored:-holes: everybody has one'. Most can be safely ignored, and I am sure most of those involved with England (players and coaches) do so. But it must be tough for those not used to such forensic scrutiny, often poorly informed and premature scrutiny too.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I don't think it's premature scrutiny at all,the results and performances speak for themselves,utter pish and definite regression.I will add though that these games mean nothing compared to the RWC but if this carries on into and through it then Steve is in trouble and 2027 contract or not,a group stage exit and he will be gone. I'm 99.9% sure of that,the press will destroy him and the pressure the RFU will be under will be too great. They will hang him to save their own skin as per
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:55 pm I don't think it's premature scrutiny at all,the results and performances speak for themselves,utter pish and definite regression.I will add though that these games mean nothing compared to the RWC but if this carries on into and through it then Steve is in trouble and 2027 contract or not,a group stage exit and he will be gone. I'm 99.9% sure of that,the press will destroy him and the pressure the RFU will be under will be too great. They will hang him to save their own skin as per
But they don't mean anything you don't win the WC now, the only games that matter for England start from the 9th of September, getting upset before then seems like a waste of time and effort.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I don’t think the RFU will sack Borthwick. A. It says very loud and clear that they backed the wrong horse with all its stable hands. B. I believe that our Andrea helped Tigers to a nice wedge of RFU coffers, so they would have lots of contracts to pay off and then find another coach, likely to be in employment, costing more money.
They must have known England were in a bit of trouble or those in charge of the RFU don’t appear to be suitable for the role.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

wigworth wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:19 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:55 pm I don't think it's premature scrutiny at all,the results and performances speak for themselves,utter pish and definite regression.I will add though that these games mean nothing compared to the RWC but if this carries on into and through it then Steve is in trouble and 2027 contract or not,a group stage exit and he will be gone. I'm 99.9% sure of that,the press will destroy him and the pressure the RFU will be under will be too great. They will hang him to save their own skin as per
But they don't mean anything you don't win the WC now, the only games that matter for England start from the 9th of September, getting upset before then seems like a waste of time and effort.
Though England fans have been hearing this for 3 years now. It isn't sustainable. If they underperform at the WC, with the draw they have, the mood will be relentlessly grim.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:36 pm
Though England fans have been hearing this for 3 years now. It isn't sustainable. If they underperform at the WC, with the draw they have, the mood will be relentlessly grim.
Tough, they wanted the last guy out, deal with the consequences of that action.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

wigworth wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:40 pm

Its the RFU's fault, not the fans. The fans have a right to demand better. Especially if they're actually paying Twickenham prices.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:43 pm
wigworth wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:40 pm

Its the RFU's fault, not the fans. The fans have a right to demand better. Especially if they're actually paying Twickenham prices.
What else could have the RFU done? They got the coach who was going to replace Eddie after the world cup anyway. There was no other magic bullet coaches out there at the time who could come in and save the day. As far as I am concerned the press/media and the fans who were driving Jones out are to blame for this, reeks of first order thinking. It is why I was in somewhat disbelief Tigers fans pushing for Jones to be sacked couldn't see Borthwick leaving coming a mile off, who else was it ever going to be.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:33 pm I don’t think the RFU will sack Borthwick. A. It says very loud and clear that they backed the wrong horse with all its stable hands. B. I believe that our Andrea helped Tigers to a nice wedge of RFU coffers, so they would have lots of contracts to pay off and then find another coach, likely to be in employment, costing more money.
They must have known England were in a bit of trouble or those in charge of the RFU don’t appear to be suitable for the role.
Won't bother them ,they have no shame. If the pressures there and the fans and press have turned they will get rid. Fans are easily appeased and with the right appointment after that the RFU will be forgotten about. Look at the situation now,it's not the RFU the fans are turning on its Borths. I'd say,a group stage exit and he's gone,anything more then he will be alright. For now.....