Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: World Class Players

Post by Nofrontteeth »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:23 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:56 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:26 am

It's a good point.
Why not? Is it it a matter of who's the employer or who's the registered players club?
It is a professional game after all. Could I pay him and register him with the Tigers. Is it down to the taxman"s judgement and contracted labour?

If wrong then please explain
He is denoted as unregistered so RFU paying him at present
Thanks for that :smt023 . But it raises the question of who insures the players health and wellbeing whilst playing/training, the RFU or Tigers or the Player?

Underpinning Tigers costs is one thing but personal liability in what is a high risk sport still confuses. :smt017 If this was/is 'an Agency contract" the question is surely is that a contract of service or one of employment and all the differences that can imply.
Thanks again for your understanding.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:49 pm
ay2oh wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:23 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:56 pm

Why not? Is it it a matter of who's the employer or who's the registered players club?
It is a professional game after all. Could I pay him and register him with the Tigers. Is it down to the taxman"s judgement and contracted labour?

If wrong then please explain
He is denoted as unregistered so RFU paying him at present
Thanks for that :smt023 . But it raises the question of who insures the players health and wellbeing whilst playing/training, the RFU or Tigers or the Player?

Underpinning Tigers costs is one thing but personal liability in what is a high risk sport still confuses. :smt017 If this was/is 'an Agency contract" the question is surely is that a contract of service or one of employment and all the differences that can imply.
Thanks again for your understanding.
RFU paying him so they will cover the insurance
A2O
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Going back to the OP's question, I think that what may hold Freddie Steward back from world class is a perceived lack of pace. He's a big lad and he does look a bit ponderous when running. SB will have the true stats on how quick he really is.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:46 pm Going back to the OP's question, I think that what may hold Freddie Steward back from world class is a perceived lack of pace. He's a big lad and he does look a bit ponderous when running. SB will have the true stats on how quick he really is.
He could be extremely quick in a straight line but rugby is not played in straight lines, its the ability to change direction quickly that matters, side step at pace etc.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Where are the Phil Bennetts of this world? Nearest I can think of is Smiths attempted skip.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

LE18 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:35 pm
Old Hob wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:46 pm Going back to the OP's question, I think that what may hold Freddie Steward back from world class is a perceived lack of pace. He's a big lad and he does look a bit ponderous when running. SB will have the true stats on how quick he really is.
He could be extremely quick in a straight line but rugby is not played in straight lines, its the ability to change direction quickly that matters, side step at pace etc.
I think it is both. As a fullback you also have to have straight line pace to run accross the pitch to chase a winger heading for the corner for example - this is a direct straight line run. I think nobody bemoaned Tom Croft's agile pace - this was pure straight line pace. Sure, Croft was not a fullback, but you get the point! Steward is actually a similar size, I believe! As with Steward, Alex Tuilagi was hardly agile, but he could run pretty quickly in a straight line and had the size to beat people in the power game. Nobody moaned about his pace then, as far as I recall.

Also given the choice of an agile Veainu-sized fullback and Steward when a Wiese-type player breaks the line, I would go for Steward every time. Sure, I might prefer a Veainu-sized fullback against Cheslin Kolbe, but you cannot have everything!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Variants in pace and agility are incredibly important and set apart those ar the top. Take Watson,great top end pace,can step,can run an arc,great slow and go etc. I still think that Steward is fundamentally better than Watson though at FB and he will get better with experience. Mike Brown wasn't top end quick by any means but at one stage he was the world's best FB. His high ball work and his positioning and reading of the game was second to none. And don't forget he only started passing once his England career is over! Teams have worked England and Freddie out,now its up to them to get back ahead the game
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Slightly off topic but I would like to see Newcastle give Radwan a go at 15. With a 20m run up he could be devastating!
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:35 pm
Steward has shown more footwork as of late. It's worth remembering Vs Ireland he beat four defenders ball on hand and no one else from either team beat more. He's a bit Mike Brown esque in that he'll beat the first man and make a few metres then get tackled as opposed to slalom his way down the field.