Johno goes to prison

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Johno goes to prison

Post by trendylfj »

what a star this man is - really looking forward to watching this when it comes out and we beat the Aussies again.
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... on-8699298
Hehehehehehehehe
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Johno goes to prison

Post by tigerburnie »

I remember playing against the inmates at the "borstal" at Glen Parva back in the 1970's, they had their own pitch, though only the officers got to go to their "club house" afterwards.....................................
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Any "99" calls expected?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

tigerburnie wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:55 am I remember playing against the inmates at the "borstal" at Glen Parva back in the 1970's, they had their own pitch, though only the officers got to go to their "club house" afterwards.....................................
So did I! Very welcoming and from what I remember from that dim and distant past, a physical but fair game!
Semper in excretia
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

Lincoln Thirds many years ago. We played at Lincoln Prison against a mixed cons and screws team.

Most of their team had to rely on their PT instructors to tell them what to do as they had never played before.

Also I recall the confusion of seeing players rucking members of their own side.
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

I guess by then Day-glo may qualify as both a player and coach?
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

:smt023
Not a jock wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:10 pm I guess by then Day-glo may qualify as both a player and coach?
:smt003 :smt023
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I used to play Glen Parva too .. great fun .. the officers were the biggest thugs on the pitch! But a good laugh in the bar afterwards.
One of their lads used to play for us when us when he wasn’t inside!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

It's always the Wardens who play dirtiest when playing a prison.

Inmates play as a privilege and one wrong step on the field they get a ban, Warden's can push the limit a lot more knowing their one social activity is not on the line.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:00 am It's always the Wardens who play dirtiest when playing a prison.

Inmates play as a privilege and one wrong step on the field they get a ban, Warden's can push the limit a lot more knowing their one social activity is not on the line.
I reffed a game at Gartree in the mid 90s and the whole team was Wardens mostly ex merchant seaman. When I asked why no inmates I was told they were mostly Iranian terrorists and IRA 🤣

Like others I also played at Glen Parva. Mixed memories of getting locked in and walking past the solitary confinement block