Rugby World Cup warm up games

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Rugby World Cup warm up games

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps Daly getting narrow reduces the chance of a player coming down his channel and having to make a tackle?
At club level with Sarries his deficiencies in defence and under the high ball can be managed but at the top international level you can’t compromise your structure to do that. It leaves too much for the others to cover.

England’s discipline is as woeful as it is inexcusable. Perhaps decent bans for Vunipola and Farrell might be a catalyst for the changes that need to be made. Time to move on.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:39 am Perhaps Daly getting narrow reduces the chance of a player coming down his channel and having to make a tackle?
Not in the case of the Hansen try it was a simple misread. The centres had the runners covered with space to spare, he didn't need to race up and jam in.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Nz v SA

South Africa: 15 Damian Willemse, 14 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 13 Canan Moodie, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Replacements: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Ox Nche, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Jean Kleyn, 20 RG Snyman, 21 Marco van Staden, 22 Cobus Reinach, 23 Willie le Roux
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:09 pm Nz v SA

South Africa: 15 Damian Willemse, 14 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 13 Canan Moodie, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Replacements: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Ox Nche, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Jean Kleyn, 20 RG Snyman, 21 Marco van Staden, 22 Cobus Reinach, 23 Willie le Roux
A real shame Marco van Staden had the concussion issues at Tigers. In the same mold as Weise and Vermeulen. I know its been a long road back for him but its clear he's once more knocking on the SA First XV.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

As an England fan I feel totally deflated ahead of the tournament. And I haven't even watch most of the warm up games!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Its pretty depressing, but I'll find my joy in the exciting match-ups across the pools, and cheering on the minnows.
Also for England specifically, there's Red Roses matches for WXV happening at a similar time, including a rematch with the Black Ferns.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

It's probably been said before somewhere in the previous 50+ pages of posts, however......

I really shouldn't look back with rose tinted glasses on, but as we're on a 20th anniversary of the England World Cup win in 2003, when looking at both the current squad and coaching staff, along with their preparation games for the World Cup in the preceding 12 months, we are a considerable way off where we need to be. We had an abundance of talent across all positions and a talismanic captain who has since then not effectively been replaced, albeit with the possible exception of Martin Corry who immediately followed on from Jonno. (rumour has it that both were carved from the same hardened chunk of granite)

England, back in the day, had a strong set of games in the Autumn Internationals in 2002, followed by a very good Six Nations in 2003. Our results from the comparable preparation games ahead of this year's World Cup do not bode well. We will be doing well to get to the knock-out stages.

Yes, the game has changed considerably since the early 2000s, but it has changed for everyone. I have a DVD of the 2003 final that I have watched with my son a number of times and the physicality, tackles, scrums etc are now unrecognisable.

During the early tenure of Mr E Jones, England were in a good place. However, as we have all seen, the results and performances started to tail off and and the open secret of Steve Borthwick being lined up for the top job came true. There has been no noticeable improvement since Steve B took over mid season.

I'm really hoping that the team performance and results in these warm-up games was planned to lull other nations into a false sense of security and we will miraculously turn it all around on Sept 9 against Argentina!
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

Darc Tiger wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:23 pm Its pretty depressing, but I'll find my joy in the exciting match-ups across the pools, and cheering on the minnows.
Also for England specifically, there's Red Roses matches for WXV happening at a similar time, including a rematch with the Black Ferns.
You can get an adult ticket for the Fiji match for £35. Not sure it's worth it.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

TiltonTiger wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:27 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:23 pm Its pretty depressing, but I'll find my joy in the exciting match-ups across the pools, and cheering on the minnows.
Depends if you want to see a bit of history created...
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Darc Tiger wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:57 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:27 pm
Depends if you want to see a bit of history created...
At least one side might raise the crowds excitement level...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Looks like Dan Sheehan will miss a significant chunk of the World Cup.

Pretty hefty blow.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Decision later today,Billy V has carried over until tomorrow.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Red card upheld. Farrell misses the first 2 pool games. 4 match ban but Ireland and Fiji count. Got off very lightly then tbf
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Bit surprised by that. Thought they’d throw the book at him
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

northerntiger wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:43 pm Bit surprised by that. Thought they’d throw the book at him
It's the weaselly way out after all this charade. Definitely got off lightly.