Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Rugby World Cup warm up games

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:45 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:42 pm Desperate for JVP, but he's got time on his side, but to be honest, he has been pretty average this year. It's clear Borthwick wants a controlling 9, which will count against Mitchell. He also wants a controlling 10, which goes against Ford (to a certain extent) and definitely against Smith. I'd imagine Borthwick has to turn away when he sees Smith going against the "plan" and trying to play what's in front of him. It's a desperate situation - we have a pack of forwards that can't get over the gain line, seemingly unable to use footwork or the ability to target a shoulder rather than running into someone of similar strength and weight - and a backline that either doesn't get the ball because it's in the air, or when they do get it they're standing still and have the defence on top of them.
Ford is not a controlling 10?! What???
I mean playing the percentages, kicking and playing a risk averse game.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:46 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:42 pm Desperate for JVP, but he's got time on his side, but to be honest, he has been pretty average this year. It's clear Borthwick wants a controlling 9, which will count against Mitchell. He also wants a controlling 10, which goes against Ford (to a certain extent) and definitely against Smith. I'd imagine Borthwick has to turn away when he sees Smith going against the "plan" and trying to play what's in front of him. It's a desperate situation - we have a pack of forwards that can't get over the gain line, seemingly unable to use footwork or the ability to target a shoulder rather than running into someone of similar strength and weight - and a backline that either doesn't get the ball because it's in the air, or when they do get it they're standing still and have the defence on top of them.
Ford can do that though and 99/100 he will make the right decision. He's shown many times,Saturday included that he's leagues ahead of Owen at steering the team around the field too.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
PAW2
Tiger Cub

Post by PAW2 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:55 pm https://www.ruck.co.uk/rabbit-in-the-he ... w-slammed/

Ruck article this morning laying into SB's post match interviewing with a bunch of quotes from twitter of fans saying SB is boring and they miss Eddie. Which is utterly ridiculous considering how much grief Eddie got for having a personality. Basically, if you don't win, the fans and media will attack every single facet of your entire being.

There was then a list of potential coaches to take over from Borthwick. I'm not writing him off just yet, but there seems to have been an air of inevitability since his first game in charge. I respect Borthwick for taking the job, but there was always a very high likelihood of things going this way.

I'll look forward to him restoring his reputation in another country and the English media suddenly remembering that he I'd actually a very good coach after all in about 3 years time.

Andy Farrell must be feeling very smug about his decision to go over to Ireland.

Its the Ruck. Ignore it.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:49 pm
Ford can do that though and 99/100 he will make the right decision. He's shown many times,Saturday included that he's leagues ahead of Owen at steering the team around the field too.
Well, he'll get the opportunity on Saturday, so we'll see.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:49 pm
This is why I cannot understand why Ford is not immediately first choice, he knows how Borthwick likes to play, he knows the tactics and he knows how to run them on the pitch. he has proven time and time again that he can control a game and has the most cultured boot to handle the tactical kicking. He already has an on field relationship with Youngs, the most likely scrum half and he has played at club level with a number of players on the pitch and so knows what to do to get the best out of them. It always seemed a total selection no brainer to me but what do I know (very little generally).
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:21 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:59 am
Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:50 am What do you expect him to say?! “We are getting sick of Owen tbh,this is is his 4th red card for high tackling i believe and he’s got away with a few too! He’s thrown our RWC plans into disarray but it’s ok. I’m looking forward to playing against Argentina then being unceremoniously dumped and taking my place back on the bench in the next game as soon as Owens ban is over” yours Georgey
Interestingly, they ignored the first red card during his January hearing as being too long ago (2016). I suspect it will also be discounted in this hearing too.
No they didn't, he didn't get the full 50% off the tackle due to previous.

He had a 6 week dropped to 4 with another week off for tackle school.

He without a previous red would have had 3 week down to 2 with tackle school...

See the link to the image where it ticks "repeat offender" and it has a cross against "good record"

https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/sta ... cFdAQ&s=19
Yes they did.

He didn't get the full 50% because he'd had the red card incident with Charlie Atkinson in 2020; this is the incident resulting in the X on the "good record" on the infographic.

This is the direct quote from his disciplinary hearing in January this year:
The Player has only one relevant matter on his record from September 2020. Predominantly due to its age the Panel consider it appropriate to disregard a matter from 2016.
So, as I said, they ignored the 2016 red card... :smt001

PS: is it against forum rules to post a link from RugbyInsideLine? :smt003
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Farrell's record is not a bad as perceived by many, obviously there are occasions when.non Saracens fans felt he deserved punishment but he got away with it so those incidents cannot be taken into account by a tribunal.
Ford may have had more game time this season under Borthwick but he was unfit and not available, personally I believe he is a better fly half than O.F but in the past not as good a goal kicker but Ford has improved that aspect of his game.
I expect Farrell.to miss at least the Argentina match and lucky.if it is not more, by then he might find he is third choice 10 and be looking to make the team as a 12.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:03 pm Farrell's record is not a bad as perceived by many, obviously there are occasions when.non Saracens fans felt he deserved punishment but he got away with it so those incidents cannot be taken into account by a tribunal.
Ford may have had more game time this season under Borthwick but he was unfit and not available, personally I believe he is a better fly half than O.F but in the past not as good a goal kicker but Ford has improved that aspect of his game.
I expect Farrell.to miss at least the Argentina match and lucky.if it is not more, by then he might find he is third choice 10 and be looking to make the team as a 12.
We can but hope 🤞
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Anyone know when OF is up before the beak?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Grimlish wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:06 pm Anyone know when OF is up before the beak?
Tomorrow, I believe. Virtual panel also so biscuits don't count :smt044 :smt044
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

fentiger wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:13 pm
Grimlish wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:06 pm Anyone know when OF is up before the beak?
Believe that it is an Australian disciplinary panel so should get a decision during the afternoon.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:03 pm Farrell's record is not a bad as perceived by many, obviously there are occasions when.non Saracens fans felt he deserved punishment but he got away with it so those incidents cannot be taken into account by a tribunal.
There are far worse, certainly - the famous Rassie coaching video was a result of Farrell not receiving a card, after all!

This time the adjacent nature of the offences may count against him.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:07 am
fentiger wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:13 pm
Believe that it is an Australian disciplinary panel so should get a decision during the afternoon.
That's good news at least.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I suspect I am going to get a hammering but I really do hope Faz gets 6 weeks and maybe even more given his history of this offence. Have just looked carefully at the entry point regs and can't see it being classed as a high entry point offence and also cannot find anywhere which says repeated offences can upgrade the offence- only downgrading is mentioned with the bad boys school intervention. I say 6 weeks plus as I can only see England doing well with GF in charge and no Faz on the field - just my opinion
Hehehehehehehehe