Rugby World Cup warm up games

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Rugby World Cup warm up games

Post by Scott1 »

Farrell can't use the "tackle school" to mitigate his ban either. I believe it can only be used once and Farrell has already used it.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Saturday August 19th Prime

Wales v South Africa 15:15
Italy v Romania 17:30
Ireland v England 17:30
France v Fiji 20:05
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Let’s wait and see if he gets a short ban based on his “exemplary record “
A2O
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

https://www.ruck.co.uk/rabbit-in-the-he ... w-slammed/

Ruck article this morning laying into SB's post match interviewing with a bunch of quotes from twitter of fans saying SB is boring and they miss Eddie. Which is utterly ridiculous considering how much grief Eddie got for having a personality. Basically, if you don't win, the fans and media will attack every single facet of your entire being.

There was then a list of potential coaches to take over from Borthwick. I'm not writing him off just yet, but there seems to have been an air of inevitability since his first game in charge. I respect Borthwick for taking the job, but there was always a very high likelihood of things going this way.

I'll look forward to him restoring his reputation in another country and the English media suddenly remembering that he I'd actually a very good coach after all in about 3 years time.

Andy Farrell must be feeling very smug about his decision to go over to Ireland.
Last edited by Tiglon on Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:55 pm Let’s wait and see if he gets a short ban based on his “exemplary record “
Maybe he should turn up with Jonny Sextons legal team :smt005
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:55 pm Let’s wait and see if he gets a short ban based on his “exemplary record “
He needs to be taken out of the World Cup equation so England can progress (albeit only slightly in the short term).
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

fentiger wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:09 pm
He needs to be taken out of the World Cup equation so England can progress (albeit only slightly in the short term).
Agree let’s give Ford a run with golden boy on the bench
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:55 pm
Even they might be pushed to defend someone for the same offence as they got punished for just over 6 months ago. He's got a great record...

That was a four game ban reduced to three for taking the tackling course. He won't get full reduction this time so will be pleading guilty and trying to argue entry point severity with some mitigation for Jamie George's tackle on Basham. Six down to four weeks would be my guess.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

What contrasting "entertainment" was to be had yesterday evening.

The turgid borefest ar Twickers where England and Wales plunged to new levels of incompetence. The only bright light for me was George Ford who came on and brought about some sense of control that eventually earned a win.

Then in Saint Etienne, France and Scotland served up a treat!
Seven tries - four of which for the adventurous Scots, which will have made French defence coach, sour-faced Shaun Edwards fume with rage (there'd have been some choice vocabulary from him in the changing rooms afterwards!) and one glorious end to end try from the French!
Edwards will demand that those defensive leaks be well and truly plugged in their two remaining preparation Tests against Fiji (Saturday 19th) and Australia (Sunday 27th) before the All Blacks go to the Stade de France on September the 8th.
However, there are injury concerns with prop Cyrille Baille and fly half Romain Ntamack, who are both due to have MRI scans tomorrow.
Semper in excretia
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:21 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:55 pm
Even they might be pushed to defend someone for the same offence as they got punished for just over 6 months ago. He's got a great record...

That was a four game ban reduced to three for taking the tackling course. He won't get full reduction this time so will be pleading guilty and trying to argue entry point severity with some mitigation for Jamie George's tackle on Basham. Six down to four weeks would be my guess.
What odds can I get for Farrell only getting a 2 week ban, 3 at most? I'm sure there will be someway they find to keep him in the Cup. I've got a £5 to spare.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:52 pm
Who would be the next cab off the rank for the third spot assuming Ford and Smith are 1 and 2?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:38 pm

Who would be the next cab off the rank for the third spot assuming Ford and Smith are 1 and 2?
F Burns Esq. ?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fentiger wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:51 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:38 pm
F Burns Esq. ?
Fin Smith or they'll use someone like Slade, Furbank or Malins as 10 cover. Malins if they have in mind a specific area elsewhere to reinforce otherwise the other two are handy utility options. It'd be tough for Fin Smith who was in the training squads but hasn't played for England yet.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Even if Farrell is banned for 6-7 weeks I think Borthwick will still take him. For me only an 8+ weeks ban puts him out the squad. To be honest wouldn’t be that surprised if Borthwick took him when he could only play in a hypothetical final.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

What George Ford thinks of Farrell;

The England squad will "get around" captain Owen Farrell "whatever the outcome" of his red card against Wales, says fellow fly-half George Ford.
Farrell could potentially miss the start of the World Cup as a result of his dismissal for a high tackle on Taine Basham in the win at Twickenham.
England's first World Cup match is against Argentina on 9 September.
"He is huge for us, he is the captain and the way he drives things every day is unbelievable," said Ford.
He told Amazon Prime: "We will get around him whatever the situation and whatever the outcome is."

Taken from the BBC website.

So, whatever we might think of him it seems George et al value him highly.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina