Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: World Cup Squad Announcements

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:07 pm
wigworth wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:56 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:49 pm Latest squad announcement VRR and Mako out of squad, Mako not in injured list either.
Billy and Lawrence back in Chessum and Walker continuing rehab
So only two LH props left now?

Upon further investigation it appears Rodd is now back in the squad.
Yes apologies I meant to put Rodd back in but forgot. It’s an age thing
Why, how old is Rodd? :smt001
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:53 pm
teds wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:23 pm
wigworth wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:27 am An interesting article regarding England's scrum half selection over the past 10+ years, with a quite extraordinary stat that JVP is the third most capped no. 9 in this time period.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ing-rugby/
Don’t have access but could you please clarify what Simpson says about people who criticise Ben Youngs?
Here you go
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... g-rugby%2F
Thankyou kind sir.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:36 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:07 pm
wigworth wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:56 pm

So only two LH props left now?

Upon further investigation it appears Rodd is now back in the squad.
Yes apologies I meant to put Rodd back in but forgot. It’s an age thing
Why, how old is Rodd? :smt001
23 in August so a year younger than Joe Heyes who many on here say is still developing
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,props develop at different times. It's always been the case
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If I've got this right Borths picks his RWC final squad after one warm up game. Do you believe that he will be picking off this game or that he will already know his squad and this will just be case of getting everything ready?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:38 am If I've got this right Borths picks his RWC final squad after one warm up game. Do you believe that he will be picking off this game or that he will already know his squad and this will just be case of getting everything ready?
He has to have the squad pretty much set with maybe room for one or two to prove a point and sneak in. I think that Martin and possibly Porter may fall into that category.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:42 am
Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:38 am If I've got this right Borths picks his RWC final squad after one warm up game. Do you believe that he will be picking off this game or that he will already know his squad and this will just be case of getting everything ready?
He has to have the squad pretty much set with maybe room for one or two to prove a point and sneak in. I think that Martin and possibly Porter may fall into that category.
I think he will take Martin now Underhill is out, just a hunch
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Borthwick and his coaches will know the capabilities of each player and have been monitoring them during the Training sessions together and come up with a squad with the skills to compliment each player and work as a team, including work ethic and attitude.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think Martin will start against Wales and a decent performance will cement his place. All the other locks, other than Lawes who I think Borthwick sees as a 6, are different types of player to Martin. Other question at lock is where does Chessum stand. I think the squad announcement date is August 8th, he isn’t match fit yet, so will Borthwick take a chance and select him ahead of Hill, for example.
Porter imo will be unlucky, he isn’t in the 4 best centres or 4 best Wingers, so may fill that utility spot other than Daley. However Daleys kicking game May give him the nod.
Be interesting to see what he does at half back. I think he may well take all 3 scrum halfs left in the squad but only 2 fly halfs with Slade providing cover if required.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Cameron Henderson in line for a Scotland Debut / first cap vs Italy in their first summer series / WC warm-up on Saturday.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:38 am
I think Martin will start against Wales and a decent performance will cement his place. All the other locks, other than Lawes who I think Borthwick sees as a 6, are different types of player to Martin. Other question at lock is where does Chessum stand. I think the squad announcement date is August 8th, he isn’t match fit yet, so will Borthwick take a chance and select him ahead of Hill, for example.
Porter imo will be unlucky, he isn’t in the 4 best centres or 4 best Wingers, so may fill that utility spot other than Daley. However Daleys kicking game May give him the nod.
Be interesting to see what he does at half back. I think he may well take all 3 scrum halfs left in the squad but only 2 fly halfs with Slade providing cover if required.
The fly half situation will be interesting. Whilst of the 3, I think Smith should be the one to miss out, will that happen. Cannot see him not taking Farrell and Ford though. Could see Ford starting against Wales. Could we go light on flankers with Lawes, Itoje and Martin all able to cover there and second row. Do you go with one centre less as Farrell can cover. lot of questions and only one match to get answers.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:42 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:38 am

The fly half situation will be interesting. Whilst of the 3, I think Smith should be the one to miss out, will that happen. Cannot see him not taking Farrell and Ford though. Could see Ford starting against Wales. Could we go light on flankers with Lawes, Itoje and Martin all able to cover there and second row. Do you go with one centre less as Farrell can cover. lot of questions and only one match to get answers.
All excellent questions. I think the fly half situation is compounded by the fact that that is the only position both Ford and Smith can play, except in emergency, unlike Farrell, Barrett or Mackenzie.
Also does he stick with one game plan in which case you take Ford, or do you want that point of difference off the bench in which case it’s Smith. I think he will only take 2 tens with the tournament being in France knowing that in case of serious injury he can whistle up a replacement in 24 hours.

A wild stab in the dark I think the backs will be

Care, JVP, Youngs
Farrell, Ford
Lawrence, Marchant, Slade, Tuilagi
Cocanasinga, Daley, Malins, Steward, Watson

They will be helped by the fact that other than between the Japan and Chile games, 6 days, there is at least a 7 day turnaround between matches, and 2 weeks between Chile and Samoa, so the schedule is less intense than a month in the premiership.
Also once the Argentinian match is played, which will decide the group winner, there will be plenty of opportunity for squad rotation
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

RunTigerRun wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:40 am Cameron Henderson in line for a Scotland Debut / first cap vs Italy in their first summer series / WC warm-up on Saturday.
Worth noting Rory Sutherland stated as "Unattached"
The fact Henderson is on the bench suggests he might be one to miss out on RWC selection, but come the 6N you would think he will be in a more elevated position.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think Borths will take 3 SH,2 FH with Farrell one of the 4 centres. I hope Porter gets the nod over Daly if there's a utility spot,tried,tested, and failed at International level and this "siege gun boot" nonsense is tired!
I would go
JVP,Youngs,Care
Smith,Ford
Farrell,Manu,Slade,Lawrence
Watson,Marchant,Big Joe,Malins
Steward
Something along those lines.
Last edited by Scott1 on Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:29 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:40 am Cameron Henderson in line for a Scotland Debut / first cap vs Italy in their first summer series / WC warm-up on Saturday.
Worth noting Rory Sutherland stated as "Unattached"
The fact Henderson is on the bench suggests he might be one to miss out on RWC selection, but come the 6N you would think he will be in a more elevated position.
I saw that about Sutherland - I’m still in hope he may well be heading out way post WC…!

For Cam’s sake I hope he makes the final squad. I think he’ll be a great addition to Scotland and he adds something none of their other locks have. Equally, experience wise I can see why they may choose a more senior lock. Scotlands loss would be our gain in that scenario!