Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Handré Pollard - A League of His Own | Leicester Tigers Tribute

Post by ads »

StanWilks wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:51 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:11 pm Thanks. Handle brings back so many happy memories of when Joel Stransky played for us and helped us win the cup final at Twickenham: I was lucky enough to see Joel play both at Welford Road and at away grounds so now I’m thrilled and privileged to see Handre live. I still believe had he played v Sale we’d have won.
I hope he comes back fit from the World Cup to do the same for us as Joel: play at Twickenham in a victorious Tigers’ team.
Stransky?!

Have I been living under a rock or something because I never knew Stransky played for Tigers? Well, you learn something new every day. Haha. Very cool anecdotes, man!

Yeah, as much as I love Atkinson, his inexperience at that level did reveal itself against Sale. But he's a young player with much to learn, and he'll doubtless apply that next season. I completely agree that had Pollard been fit, the outcome would have been very different.

If that's how far a Tigers team undermined by early coach exits, players leaving mid-season and veiled threats of administration can go, imagine what they can do with a settled coach and squad hungry for more?

I think we'll definitely see Tigers in the top four again next season!
Stransky was great, always wished Jaco Van Der Westhuyzen had stayed with us as well. He was fantastic for the short time he was here!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Stransky was pure class but I think that Pollard is just as good.
A2O
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

ads wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:50 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:11 pm Thanks. Handle brings back so many happy memories of when Joel Stransky played for us and helped us win the cup final at Twickenham: I was lucky enough to see Joel play both at Welford Road and at away grounds so now I’m thrilled and privileged to see Handre live. I still believe had he played v Sale we’d have won.
I hope he comes back fit from the World Cup to do the same for us as Joel: play at Twickenham in a victorious Tigers’ team.
Stransky?!

Have I been living under a rock or something because I never knew Stransky played for Tigers? Well, you learn something new every day. Haha. Very cool anecdotes, man!

Yeah, as much as I love Atkinson, his inexperience at that level did reveal itself against Sale. But he's a young player with much to learn, and he'll doubtless apply that next season. I completely agree that had Pollard been fit, the outcome would have been very different.

If that's how far a Tigers team undermined by early coach exits, players leaving mid-season and veiled threats of administration can go, imagine what they can do with a settled coach and squad hungry for more?

Stransky was great, always wished Jaco Van Der Westhuyzen had stayed with us as well. He was fantastic for the short time he was here!
Wasn't Jaco a rather poor goal kicker. The match at home to Stade Français that was a big nail in Deano's coffin was lost because neither Jaco, nor anyone else could hit a barn door at 10 paces. SF new they could infringe almost with impunity.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:59 pm Stransky was pure class but I think that Pollard is just as good.
With all due respect to Pollard, Stransky was on a different level.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:40 pm
ay2oh wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:59 pm Stransky was pure class but I think that Pollard is just as good.
With all due respect to Pollard, Stransky was on a different level.
Very different types of player though both in the same position. Both have a World Cup winners medals. Could Pollard have been as effective 25 years ago, undoubtedly. Could Joel survive the rigours of the fully professional game now played with the increased physicality not convinced he could even at his prime
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:42 pm

Stransky?!

Wasn't Jaco a rather poor goal kicker. The match at home to Stade Français that was a big nail in Deano's coffin was lost because neither Jaco, nor anyone else could hit a barn door at 10 paces. SF new they could infringe almost with impunity.
But he was a fantastic running ten. I was gutted when Jaco departed.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:04 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:42 pm

But he was a fantastic running ten. I was gutted when Jaco departed.
Yeah, that's the bit I remember.