Post by TigerFeetSteve »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:13 am
westwinds31 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:29 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:54 pm

Are you suggesting we could have got Mr. Whippy on a similar deal
That’s a bit flakey
Would still be a scoop though.
With a sprinkle of stardust to the squad
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tykger

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Tykger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:53 am
westwinds31 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:29 pm

That’s a bit flakey
I hope he didn't cost hundreds and thousands
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Tykger wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:54 am

We're signing him to make the Split on the bench easier.
As Good As It Gets
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tykger wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:54 am

Perhaps he has been signed to look after the cones.

Or we are going to have a 99 Call...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

For me Mike Williams , like so many others who represented The Club during that period, carries the tag of unfulfilled potential...injuries did not help him but the seeming malaise and internal turmoil that was a feature of our whole structure meant that no one really flourished under either Mauger, O'Connor nor Murphy.
How much talent was wasted through lack of direction and internal conflict we will never know but I would have perhaps enjoyed seeing the likes of Williams,Jordan Olowofela, Sione Kalamafoni and Sam Costelow in a half decent Leicester side.
We have a lot to thank Steve Borthwick for - both on and off the pitch.....
The bad times should help one appreciate the good .....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

As long as Mike plays lock I'm OK. I used to tear my none existent hair out when he was at 6 and Fitzgerald was at lock when clearly they were both better the other way round!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:45 am As long as Mike plays lock I'm OK. I used to tear my none existent hair out when he was at 6 and Fitzgerald was at lock when clearly they were both better the other way round!
Don't often agree with you but this is spot on - thankfully, given back row stocks now I really can't see this happening next season. I think those games cloud our collective memory of him which possibly is a bit unfair as he is a solid grunt number 4 but in current squad Martin, Wells, Carter and probably Chessum (L) are ahead of him
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

To be fair to Williams his progress was interrupted by a broken arm twice.
A2O
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I just cannot understand us bringing back Mike Williams. Surely there were better options. He is a tried and tested player , who fell below Tiger's high standards. I am completely baffled, and hope he is on a short contract.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Dangerous4 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:24 am I just cannot understand us bringing back Mike Williams. Surely there were better options. He is a tried and tested player , who fell below Tiger's high standards. I am completely baffled, and hope he is on a short contract.
I think we'll see him play only a handful of minutes off the bench unless injuries force more. We likely need injury cover for Wells, if so he will be off salary cap. I am convinced we will give game time priority to Carter, Chessum (L), Manz, Carmichael, Carnduff at the start of the season until we get the WC players back
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:10 am To be fair to Williams his progress was interrupted by a broken arm twice.
& being selected by EJ.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

When Williams first signed for us I was quite excited, I had seen him play for Worcester and was impressed. The squad assembled after that with Mauger influence although I think Ged Flynn and Simon Cohen had considerable input, included Brendan O'Connor, Fitzgerald, Spencer and Bateman non of whom would get near our match day squad today. The injury to Denton meant we hardly saw him play and he could have made a difference.
The Williams we have signed this month is not of great potential, he is what he is, a very useful experienced squad player able to cover lock and across the back row. A versatile player for the bench, I would not like to see him selected ahead of either of the Chessums, Martin Henderson or Manz but he could be an option to rotate or manage their minutes. I would hope Mike is thinking that's all wrong, I am after a first team spot and I will challenge them for selection. Welcome back Mike Williams.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

If any player is good enough, they should play, don't care who they are or where they came from, if they are good enough they wear the jersey. We do need depth in the squad, with a world cup disrupting our squad, an experienced head will fill the gaps nicely.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Just a question about the cap and the world cup. The players who are away in the world cup - do they get their full salary from us and does it count towards the cap. I am assuming that there is a pro-rata reduction in the amount they cost us towards the cap in a similar way we get credits for injury replacements or am I totally wrong?
Hehehehehehehehe
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:02 pm Just a question about the cap and the world cup. The players who are away in the world cup - do they get their full salary from us and does it count towards the cap. I am assuming that there is a pro-rata reduction in the amount they cost us towards the cap in a similar way we get credits for injury replacements or am I totally wrong?
Will depend on the contract. At times we have reduced them for players on international duty, at others we haven't.

Whatever we pay them will be counting in the salary cap. There are the normal (pitiful) international credits that apply in RWC years but nothing extra that I've seen announced.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!