LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Have updated my list of who's signed when to be colour coded so people can clearly see who's signed when

Over ⅔ of the senior squad has signed or extended in the last season. So in terms of where we are as a squad we're in a good position for squad retention.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2023/24 Squad a new era

Post by tigerburnie »

With a drive to sell season tickets, you'd think telling everyone Watson is staying would help sales, maybe saying nothing is telling us something, let's start a conspiracy theory lol.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Underwhelming signings for me. Feel like squad filler.

Why Powell and Whiteley when we've Edwards in the wings?

Why Williams and Carter when we've L.Chessum?

Why Wilkinson and Shilcock when we've Atkinson?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:02 pm Underwhelming signings for me. Feel like squad filler.

For me Powell is a step up on Whiteley, so once the world cup is over and YBY probably drops out of England contention I could see Whiteley being loaned out, I certainly don't think Edwards will be hurt from his presence. Just until LI went under Powell wasn't available.

We have lost 2 locks, Green (a starter) and Snyman a decent backup. So we need 2 locks in, we're saying that Lewis Chessum and Tom Manz may be ready to step up. However we also have Wells having recently had surgery, plus Ollie Chessum, Henderson and Martin all in England squads. Literally until the U20 guys are back from their world cup if Wells is still recovering (believe this to be the case), we have Carter, Manz & Carmichael fit without Williams so not enough to practise a scrum without getting a back row who plays their occasionally to fill in.

We have had 2 fly halves & 1 fullback who covers fly half leave us this season (Burns, Gopperth & Hegarty) so we are keeping at the same number of players in the key position of fly half
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:02 pm Underwhelming signings for me. Feel like squad filler.

I don’t get why people don’t like squad signings?

I mean squad filler is extremely important
It’s an extremely long season.

You need depth especially when in every position mentioned we have at least 2 internationals
Locks: Chessum, Martin, Henderson
9’s: JVP, Youngs
10/15: Pollard, Steward

And what happens to 10 if Shillcock gets injured who is our second 10?

Likewise what happens if Edwards gets injured?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

They seem like sensible signings to me. We need squad fillers because, you know, it's good to have a full squad.

Powell is an upgrade on Whiteley, and although I've never been Williams' biggest fan I don't know who else was interested for the budget we had. Rogerson is exactly the kind of player and, from what I've seen, personality that you want in the squad - right up there with Wells/Moody levels of determination and work ethic.

We don't need any superstar signings right now, I'm just delighted to keep hold of all our exceptional youngsters for another year - that will be the key for long term success.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

At scrum half - I'd expect Edwards spents a fair bit of time down the road at Nottingham this season to get game time.

I thought it was noticable that Shilcock wasn't mentioned as within the fly half ranks. I'd imagine he'll be second choice full back next season, whereas Wilkinson comes in as probably third choice fly half - a position where there doesn't seem to be a clear contender coming through.

Williams makes less sense on the face of it, but, Henderson and Ollie have had long term injuries - Martin and Wells are regular visitors to the treatment room, and Sam Carter is 33. In the six nations we are likely to lose all of Henderson, O. Chessum and Martin. If one of Wells and Carter is injured, we'd be having 3 second rows in the squad with very little experience.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Perfect squad fillers for me,they all make sense.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:58 am Perfect squad fillers for me,they all make sense.
:censored: hell Scott, is it a second April Fools day???? I could agree with you more - lol
Hehehehehehehehe
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Going into the World Cup without a contract already signed for next season would be a very hard nosed, not to say risky, negotiating position. A bad injury and he could easily find himself unemployed and funding his rehab and recovery himself.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Yes its a better position to be in from the club’s perspective.. no risk of having an injured, expensive player on the books .. on the contra side .. if he plays well on the world stage .. the world could be interested
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

We still need a loose head
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:11 am We still need a loose head
Rumours are that a NH test prop has been signed just nor announced yet
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:57 am I thought it was noticable that Shilcock wasn't mentioned as within the fly half ranks. I'd imagine he'll be second choice full back next season, whereas Wilkinson comes in as probably third choice fly half - a position where there doesn't seem to be a clear contender coming through.
Everyone seems forget Shilcock was rumoured and probably signed well before Brown was signed, with the background of Watson's indecision. He was signed as a 15.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:50 am
TTRITH wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:57 am I thought it was noticable that Shilcock wasn't mentioned as within the fly half ranks. I'd imagine he'll be second choice full back next season, whereas Wilkinson comes in as probably third choice fly half - a position where there doesn't seem to be a clear contender coming through.
Everyone seems forget Shilcock was rumoured and probably signed well before Brown was signed, with the background of Watson's indecision. He was signed as a 15.
Shilcock comes in essentially as Hegarty's replacement

Brown as Murimurivalu's replacement (though covered Hegarty when Burns left)

Atkinson as Burns replacement (though covered Hegarty till Burns left)

Wilkinson now comes in as Gopperth's replacement