LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:18 pm The top class props are capped multiple times by his age
Will Stuart is two years older than Heyes and at 24 had 14 caps compared to Heyes 7. Heyes has played more Prem games. Sinckler didn't get a cap until he was 23 but was then a mainstay in the England side.

Dan Cole was 22 when he made his debut but cemented his position as starting tighthead by 23.

Cole only had to oust David Wilson though. Not a tighthead of great note even if he was a solid player at international level. Sinckler went onto the bench initially with little competition to really trouble him as Cole's understudy. Stuart got most of his game time after Eddie opted to retire Cole from international duty. None of them had the kind of difficult pathway to the 23 Heyes is facing. Sinckler is in his prime, Stuart is just coming into his prime and Cole is a centurion at a time England's scrum needs leadership.

Heyes does need to push on this season though development wise he's in a good position, a lot of teams in the league would jump at the chance to have him as their go to tighthead.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not disagreeing with any of the points made and while we have Cole and Heyes is all good.
Starter or not Heyes can’t play every minute of every game and the season after next Cole is not necessarily be around therefore even to stand still we need to look at another high class tighthead.
Bath have Stewart and yet they have still Thomas Du Toit for next season.

As an aside I have never said that Heyes should be dropped
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:51 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:34 pm Has Juan Martin Gonzalez been picked up by anyone yet?
Suggest he might bust most clubs salary cap, the young Argentine hooker LI signed last season is another excellent player unattached, unless I have missed him being picked up.
Yep, I doubt Premiership clubs would afford him this late. He's a cracking flanker. In an Argentina back row blessed with options he has quietly turned himself into a consistently excellent international performer. I expect many Top 14 clubs will be in the running for him.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:04 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:51 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:34 pm Has Juan Martin Gonzalez been picked up by anyone yet?
Suggest he might bust most clubs salary cap, the young Argentine hooker LI signed last season is another excellent player unattached, unless I have missed him being picked up.
Yep, I doubt Premiership clubs would afford him this late. He's a cracking flanker. In an Argentina back row blessed with options he has quietly turned himself into a consistently excellent international performer. I expect many Top 14 clubs will be in the running for him.
He's a really good all round flanker that jumps at the lineout. A combination of him and Matera could be really good for Argentina, play to their traditional strengths but also a bit more dynamic than their tendency to play three locks and get three of Lavanini, Alemanno, Puetti and Kramer into the starting side.

I agree Top14 sides will be contacting his agent will all sorts of offers.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Joe Powell is definitely one I'd be happy to see at Tigers.

Yes in raw numbers 9 is a position we're ok in, but the step down from Youngs & JvP is significant down to Whiteley. With both in the WC running then think we need a pick up there.

Brumbies link there too with McKellar, would round out the squad with the other rumours
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Since we have now started July (and I believe the new contract period for players and coaches) it would be good have some confirmation of where we are with any final pieces being added to the personnel jigsaw. I don't think the club has announced Neil Fowkes (?) and there have been various players rumoured.

TBH I think we're looking pretty good as things stand, but as others have commented above, there are one or two areas of slight weakness, particularly with likely World Cub absences factored-in.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I'm waiting on the club to update the player page before starting a new thread.
Would imagine the squad list will change today?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think Heyes is a great player and has lots of potential.
I just feel that we are potentially putting ourselves in a position like when Castro left.

Cole has prob got another 2 years if he wants, his style of play lends itself to longevity. BUT we need to start planning the future a bit.
Need a prop that can now push Heyes rather than mentor him I feel, sort of how Cole and Castro pushed each other and Cole can fill the White role of being the incredibly solid 3rd option to steady the ship if Internationals hurt us.

I just don't know if I see any of the young TH's coming through as being that prop to push Heyes.

Ideal world you have two props on either side that can both be considered starters nearly with either promising youngster or solid 3rd choice option.

Look at Sarries three front rows
1. Mako, 2. George, 3. Riccioni
1. West, 2. Dan, 3. Hoskins
1. Mawi, 2.Wollenscroft, 3. Carey
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Ollie Allan has changed his Instagram bio to ‘Rugby Player Leicester Tigers’

So I’d imagine he’s signed! Great young talented 9 to the senior academy imo.

Youngs (33), Whiteley (27), JVP (22), Edwards (20), Allan (18).

Very good set of ages experience and talent there imo
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:11 am Ollie Allan has changed his Instagram bio to ‘Rugby Player Leicester Tigers’

Him and another London Irish Dev player followed tigers instagram at the same time a couple weeks ago.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:27 pm Not disagreeing with any of the points made and while we have Cole and Heyes is all good.
Starter or not Heyes can’t play every minute of every game and the season after next Cole is not necessarily be around therefore even to stand still we need to look at another high class tighthead.
Bath have Stewart and yet they have still Thomas Du Toit for next season.

As an aside I have never said that Heyes should be dropped
Ah fair enough, yes I agree next summer we need to be on the look out for someone of that calibre. I like Hurd but he's probably a squad man more than he is a contender for Heyes. Squad men are very useful see Sarries use of the likes of Barrington and Clarey.

Depends on how Big Dan goes this season, we do need to start considering the possibility of another tighthead though that could be rather pricey. It's why I'm disappointed with Glaws beating us to Fasogbon, he's someone that we could have developed over the next two years to become something special.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:18 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:11 am Ollie Allan has changed his Instagram bio to ‘Rugby Player Leicester Tigers’

Him and another London Irish Dev player followed tigers instagram at the same time a couple weeks ago.
Any clues on the other London Irish Dev Player RB?

Lucas Brooke?

I rate your detective skills!!

Hopefully we find out today / this week!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

If it’s Brooke, that would be a nice pickup. But I’m guessing it’s someone else.

Fischetti, Rogerson/Basham, Brooke, Allan, Wilkinson, Watson (re-signing) and maybe a 13/wing would be peachy for popcorn day/week. But probably a bit of a big ask. Fischetti, Rogerson, Wilkinson, Allan and Watson probably our lot, maybe short term lock if Chessum and Wells are out for a while yet.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:33 am

Any clues on the other London Irish Dev Player RB?

Lucas Brooke?

I rate your detective skills!!

Hopefully we find out today / this week!
RB’s detective skills are second to none…without them we’d be a lot less informed
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Also yeh Mike Williams is coming back from what I gather now as well