LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by johnthegriff »

Or does transition refer to the transition from Academy to first team?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:46 am Or does transition refer to the transition from Academy to first team?
Or is it for those players that only wish to be referred to as they or them moving forward
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:49 am
johnthegriff wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:46 am Or does transition refer to the transition from Academy to first team?
Or is it for those players that only wish to be referred to as they or them moving forward
Oh please don’t!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:04 am
markharbtiger wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:38 pm New coach - Neil Fowkes
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/fowkes-l ... er-tigers/
Maybe I missed it, but did anyone see that coming?
Can anyone enlighten me on the "Transition" part of transition coach?
When Brett Deacon was Transition coach he was responsible to help get U18 guys into the senior academy & senior academy guys 1st team ready.

This is why his past experience coaching Nottingham, who due to our strategic partnership a lot of our guys go on loan to, is really a bonus for this position.

He has also worked as a scrum coach, which helps cover this role till we get our main Scrum coach post world cup
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:25 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:04 am
markharbtiger wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:38 pm New coach - Neil Fowkes
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/fowkes-l ... er-tigers/
Maybe I missed it, but did anyone see that coming?
Can anyone enlighten me on the "Transition" part of transition coach?
When Brett Deacon was Transition coach he was responsible to help get U18 guys into the senior academy & senior academy guys 1st team ready.

This is why his past experience coaching Nottingham, who due to our strategic partnership a lot of our guys go on loan to, is really a bonus for this position.

He has also worked as a scrum coach, which helps cover this role till we get our main Scrum coach post world cup
Ok my apologies I have obviously misunderstood the role. I’d assumed it was to do with turnover ball etc. Makes more sense what you and JTG are saying
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Or its just a made up job title.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The title may be a made up.one but the job is not. Ged Glynn referred to it as the rugby pathway, we went through a spell.when following Youngs, Cole, Croft, Tuilagi etc the step.up from Academy to first team seemed a step to far. The introduction of Senior Academy and opportunity to train with the first team squad seemed to help bridge that gap. David Wilkes and his team do an excellent job and the number of young players that have graduated from.our Academy to our first team and even England shows that the system is working.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:00 pm The title may be a made up.one but the job is not. Ged Glynn referred to it as the rugby pathway, we went through a spell.when following Youngs, Cole, Croft, Tuilagi etc the step.up from Academy to first team seemed a step to far. The introduction of Senior Academy and opportunity to train with the first team squad seemed to help bridge that gap. David Wilkes and his team do an excellent job and the number of young players that have graduated from.our Academy to our first team and even England shows that the system is working.
Well said.
BarmyBamford

Post by BarmyBamford »

Could be the driver for away games, he makes the coach transition from one location to another.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I just hope it is not a way of improving our women's team! :smt046
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

BarmyBamford wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:23 pm Could be the driver for away games, he makes the coach transition from one location to another.
Did you forget your coat?
BarmyBamford

Post by BarmyBamford »

I did think of my coat but didn’t want to risk accusations of appropriation in this benighted era.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

BarmyBamford wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:23 pm Could be the driver for away games, he makes the coach transition from one location to another.
What are you on? :smt043
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rory Sutherland being linked to Biarritz
If true and if the rumour of us signing a capped NH LH are true suggest that we have picked up the Fischetti(HOPEFULLY)

With realistic 1st team options
1. Fischetti(?), Cronin, Whitcombe, Van Wyk,
2. Montoya, Dolly, Clare, Vanes,
3. Cole, Heyes, Hurd, Richardson,
4. Martin, Henderson, Wells, Manz
5. Chessum, Carter, Chessum, Carmicheal
6. Liebenberg, Rogerson(?), Carnduff
7. Reffell, Cracknell, Ilione
8. Wiese, Hatherell
9. JVP, Youngs, Whitetely, Edwards
10. Pollard, Atkinson, Wilkinson (?)
11. OHC, Simmons, Cusick
12. Kelly, Kata, Woodward
13. Porter, Scott, Cokanasiga,
14. Watson (?), Bassett,
15, Steward, Shillcock, Brown, Walsh

Pretty damn good squad IMO looks stronger all round squad than last season.
I would like to potentially add
Joe Powell on a short term contract during RWC - He knows McKeller and was big part of his squad, maybe a short term deal and see him go back to Aus come decemeber ala Nadolo. Potentially Jack Maunder and Chris cook on a trial signing as well a option
Josh Basham but would be between him and Rogerson and Rogerson leadership would be very big IMO.
Gabriel Hamer-Webb just feel another winger would be a good thing he has high upside but shouldn't be costly
If rumours are true and we are looking for short term lock Will Spencer or Greg Peterson would be good options.

Then some dev players I like
Ollie Allan - Mentioned previously
Lucas Brooke - Same as above
Joe Vajner - Another interesting Hooker prospect, could argue if we need another with potentially Clarke also in the U18. But especially tight 5 I feel you can't have too many as long as in the dev cap.
Monty Bradbury - IMO is a better 15 potentially if Walsh is viewed as leaving could be a good pick up
Frankie Slightholme - Looks promising winger not many coming through

Looking longer term TH is a slight issue for me
Cole and Heyes are fine but Hurd/Richardson/Hoyt do need to start showing promise as long term options. If none of them do anything during the prem cup TH needs to become a priority for the season after I feel.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Browning is still here as well I believe RB?

Hamer-Webb would be a good addition. Frankie Sleightholme I wouldn't mind a punt on but with Browning and Cusick we have two dev squad wings already.

I think the academy cap would currently only have FTT and Miell in it, presuming that Cokanasiga is over the minimum salary. So there could be room there for a development winger such as Sleightholme.

If we wanted a more experienced winger to free Kata up for the centres then Purdy and Skosan are both unattached.

Re depth at 9, I thought Nordli-Kelemeti at Falcons looked talented in 2021/22 then he struggled with injuries last season. I'd prefer Maunder for a one year deal but honestly feel Nordli-Kelemeti has more potential than Whiteley.