World Cup Squad Announcements

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: World Cup Squad Announcements

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:59 pm Admittedly the draw helps, but I will be very surprised if England don’t reach the semi.
There is enough quality and experience in that side combined with a decent game plan to do so.
The fact that they will avoid any of the Big 4, France, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa, if they beat Argentina is a big bonus
We still avoid any of them if we lose to Argentina. We will play Wales,Oz or Fiji in the QF regardless. We can't play one of the big 4 until the SF
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Baz

Post by Baz »

Let's give the man a chance; we looked pretty hopeless two years ago!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Baz wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:36 pm Let's give the man a chance; we looked pretty hopeless two years ago!
This 6N wasn't much better,worse in some aspects! But he does deserve time definitely
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:48 pm
Baz wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:36 pm Let's give the man a chance; we looked pretty hopeless two years ago!
This 6N wasn't much better,worse in some aspects! But he does deserve time definitely
But is he wasting his honeymoon period?
Picking Farrell as captain is just odd.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:41 pm
I'd say he is,there's a group of players we probably won't see again after this WC who are past their peak already imo. We can just hope that Borths can gets one more run out of them,somehow I'm not convinced.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Why is picking Farrell as captain just odd. Captain of the premiership winners highly respected by his fellow professionals. Can play in a variety of styles, and along with Ford best suited at 10 to play Borthwicks game, and no I don’t think we’ll see him starting any games at 12.
The other question for all posters who else are you putting in that 41
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:11 pm

Why is picking Farrell as captain just odd. Captain of the premiership winners highly respected by his fellow professionals. Can play in a variety of styles, and along with Ford best suited at 10 to play Borthwicks game, and no I don’t think we’ll see him starting any games at 12.
The other question for all posters who else are you putting in that 41
Its not so much the 41,although I definitely would have had Mercer and Kelly,it's the 33 that you can see coming from it.And then the tired old 23 that comes from that with a possible MF of Ford,Farrell and Manu and the usual 3 locks malarkey. See if it was me,and I've already said it,my BR would be Earl,Martin,Mercer something along those lines. Fresh,exciting,ticks all the boxes. But I expect Lawes,Curry,Billy V or something along those lines. Same old ,same old recycled garbage. I could do the same with other combinations too but what's the point?!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:18 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:59 am Not very exciting is it? Looks like it's gonna be a same old same old golden oldie squad by the looks of it. Shame really
Guess the coaching team must be more interested in winning than excitement...
But I am surprised that others are so surprised. Make a very late change to the complete coaching team relative to the World Cup, and people can't understand why Borthwick goes for experience and familiarity
And that’s what it’s about…..winning. Excitement is secondary. 2003 being a classic example. We nearly lost the quarter final, kicked the French to death in the semi and just got over the line in the final. Nobody cared.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just let me know when we start winning then please someone,and 2003 is a poor example. We were the best team in the world heading into that WC,now we are probably 6th or 7th
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:47 am Just let me know when we start winning then please someone,and 2003 is a poor example. We were the best team in the world heading into that WC,now we are probably 6th or 7th
Funny how people are quick to forget all the England games EJ won (59 according to Wikipedia...). You'd think they hadn't won a game in years!! :smt002 :smt044
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:42 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:47 am Just let me know when we start winning then please someone,and 2003 is a poor example. We were the best team in the world heading into that WC,now we are probably 6th or 7th
Funny how people are quick to forget all the England games EJ won (59 according to Wikipedia...). You'd think they hadn't won a game in years!! :smt002 :smt044
Yeah,always nice in recent times to beat the minnows I suppose 🤪
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:46 pm
I hope you're not planning a trip to Wales anytime soon! 🤣
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:53 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:46 pm
I hope you're not planning a trip to Wales anytime soon! 🤣
Haha 👍
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:42 pm Funny how people are quick to forget all the England games EJ won (59 according to Wikipedia...). You'd think they hadn't won a game in years!! :smt002 :smt044
I fear Eddie was good at putting the polish on a side that someone else had assembled but lost his way when it came to evolving and ultimately building his own side.

Yes there are other reasons that contributed to the rapid demise of the side. Borthwick has been left with an impossible situation. No time to build his own side and virtually no time to get the existing one playing in his way. Squad restricted by the limited changes permitted for the 6N and not got his full coaching structure in place for that 6N.
Realistically he won't get to build his own side until next season and that will be hampered by the demise of Wasps, Worcester and Irish forcing a number of players overseas as the salary cap prevented them from staying in England.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

If the players get that Walters treatment, and Borthwick is his usual self, we could see an attritional style which would suit the competition with matches being decided in the last 15 mins. I expect England to get to the semis.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.