LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:51 pm
ABClub wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:28 pm Sutherland would be a starter. He's a fantastic player. Simply, overtaken by an even better one in Schoeman recently. Schoe is rapidly approaching world class though. Whether we have cap space for Sutherland is another question.

Fischetti is the obvious one to me if it's a capped LH from the NH that we've signed this late on.

Whatever way a capped LH would be an addition where the squad needs it.
The fact he hasn't been announced anywhere suggests Sutherland might not be in the position to gain the cap space you are suggesting.
He didn't play much for Worcester in the season before last and then last season was a disaster. Wuss went under and then he had a disappointing spell at Ulster.

You'd hope our coaching set up and reputation for the set piece we can tempt him over. At 30 he'll want to be back challenging for the Scotland starting spot and might well see us as a launch pad for that.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by RunTigerRun »

MrG2 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:36 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:49 am
RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:50 pm You have available so far that fits the bill the Top 14 is still announcing players leaving though
Danilo Fischetti (Italy)
Valery Morozov (Russia)
Cherif Traorè (Italy)
Rob Evans (Wales)
Rory Sutherland (Scotland)

Would be happy with all outside of Traorè
Thanks RB - forgot about Morozov, for some reason thought he was staying with Bath.

Agree wholeheartedly with no to Traorè - regardless of ability, not the kind of character we want associated with out club/community.

As an aside, Fischetti mentions a cryptic clue on his Instagram story about “something moving” with an emoji of a house and a rugby ball. Might be shear timing but I’m inexplicably getting my hopes up on a Friday morning!!
What’s the story with Cherif Traorè the only thing I can find is him being given a banana in Secret Santa. As a victim of racist abuse I think he has every right to speak out or is there a back story
I apologise I mistook the players’ in that circumstance and checked the wrong name. I would not have Traore for ability reasons, nevertheless I wrote Traore not Ivan Nemer.

That’s my mistake and I apologise. I will amend my original post.

Edit - post amended.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:45 am
RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:51 pm
ABClub wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:28 pm Sutherland would be a starter. He's a fantastic player. Simply, overtaken by an even better one in Schoeman recently. Schoe is rapidly approaching world class though. Whether we have cap space for Sutherland is another question.

Fischetti is the obvious one to me if it's a capped LH from the NH that we've signed this late on.

Whatever way a capped LH would be an addition where the squad needs it.
The fact he hasn't been announced anywhere suggests Sutherland might not be in the position to gain the cap space you are suggesting.
He didn't play much for Worcester in the season before last and then last season was a disaster. Wuss went under and then he had a disappointing spell at Ulster.

You'd hope our coaching set up and reputation for the set piece we can tempt him over. At 30 he'll want to be back challenging for the Scotland starting spot and might well see us as a launch pad for that.
The key for me, and any offer, is his recent form, game time. Fantastic pickup if available, and maybe a similar situation to Matt Scott before we signed him
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:15 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:12 pm It’s all very silent regarding further recruitment. Little surprised perhaps. Maybe that cap is all spent?
Wilkinson and Rogerson both seem to be very strong rumours just waiting on their confirmation.
Probably a prop short but waiting till the London Irish fallout has cleared to see what is available
I'm really surprised we appear to still have not started pre-season training too, two weeks later than we were able to start under RPA guidelines.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:11 am
markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:12 pm It’s all very silent regarding further recruitment. Little surprised perhaps. Maybe that cap is all spent?
Wilkinson and Rogerson both seem to be very strong rumours just waiting on their confirmation.
Probably a prop short but waiting till the London Irish fallout has cleared to see what is available
I'm really surprised we appear to still have not started pre-season training too, two weeks later than we were able to start under RPA guidelines.
I don’t think it was ever going to start before next week with a new coaching set up. Doesn’t mean there isn’t work going on behind the scenes
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=markharbtiger post_id=858161 time=1688065924 user_id=10643]
It’s all very silent regarding further recruitment. Little surprised perhaps. Maybe that cap is all spent?
[/quote]

It's been all about the Tigresses this week - maybe it'll be the Tigers next week?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So looks confirmed that we'll have Heyes for our preseason then with him not in the official WC training squad.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Only thing I can think of is if the club felt that after last season we needed more rest? The team did look very tired at the start of season.
LtPigeon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LtPigeon »

Another Coach to join, this time from Ealing - Neil Fowkes

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/fowkes-l ... er-tigers/
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:04 am So looks confirmed that we'll have Heyes for our preseason then with him not in the official WC training squad.
If they only take 2 tightheads than I’d imagine we’ll have Cole back too
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Transition Coach forwards I guess is like Brett Deacon's old role?

Mckeller - Head Coach
Dickens - Backs
Palmer - Set piece
Everard - Defence
Deacon - Contact and Breakdown
Fowkes - Forwards transition coach
Smith - Skills coach and Backs transition coach
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

LtPigeon wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:09 am Another Coach to join, this time from Ealing - Neil Fowkes

Sounds like he’ll work with the senior academy lads and the academy lads in a similar capacity to Smith in the backs. A smart appointment and has also worked well with the Notts guys so keeps some familiar faces and continuity around the area.

Sounds like with Fowkes, Wilkinson, Rogerson and this mystery LH prop, we will have some announcements within the next week or so!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LtPigeon wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:09 am Another Coach to join, this time from Ealing - Neil Fowkes

Imagine he will have an eye on the scrum until Palmer arrives
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:14 am

Sounds like he’ll work with the senior academy lads and the academy lads in a similar capacity to Smith in the backs. A smart appointment and has also worked well with the Notts guys so keeps some familiar faces and continuity around the area.

Sounds like with Fowkes, Wilkinson, Rogerson and this mystery LH prop, we will have some announcements within the next week or so!
Makes sense if he's working with the Senior Academy, these are the guys most likely on loans with our Strategic partners Nottingham, with whom he has a coaching connection too.

Plus helps cover scrum till Palmer has arrived (ahh you beat me to this point RG....)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:07 am

Only thing I can think of is if the club felt that after last season we needed more rest? The team did look very tired at the start of season.
I did wonder about us starting late however i think the feeling is that they were mentally tired.

We spoke to Freddie Burns last year on the podcast, a week before they went back and he did say that he felt he hadn't had much of a break, given the first week off was celebrating the title win. So i guess maybe the feeling was that they started last season a bit off mentally, then we had all the drama of the coaches leaving mid-season and the upheaval that brought.

Maybe it is not so much of a bad thing to give them extra time off now, and get them chomping at the bit to return rather than having them back at the earliest point.