LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

We are short of West and Leatigaga as options from where we were last year, so you’d have to hope there is another player incoming, ideally starting calibre like West. Goodrick-Clarke seems like a West’esque level replacement, perhaps he has a release clause at Ealing? Ideal world we could get Fasogbon also, as he seems a high potential talent, but is he too close development wise to Hoyt to warrant bringing him in at the same time. Perhaps just assume Richardson and maybe Hoyt pick up Leatigaga’s minutes.
If Pearson has signed, then that solves our back row depth.
Assuming Watson is also staying, ideally I’d really think we’d still need one more winger, however if Kata is seen as more a winger, then Woodward and Cusick may be seen as backup to Kelly, Porter, Scott and Cockanasiga, and maybe we’re ok.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by ay2oh »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:12 pm We are short of West and Leatigaga as options from where we were last year, so you’d have to hope there is another player incoming, ideally starting calibre like West. Goodrick-Clarke seems like a West’esque level replacement, perhaps he has a release clause at Ealing? Ideal world we could get Fasogbon also, as he seems a high potential talent, but is he too close development wise to Hoyt to warrant bringing him in at the same time. Perhaps just assume Richardson and maybe Hoyt pick up Leatigaga’s minutes.
Assuming Watson is also staying, ideally I’d really think we’d still need one more winger, however if Kata is seen as more a winger, then Woodward and Cusick may be seen as backup to Kelly, Porter, Scott and Cockanasiga, and maybe we’re ok.
Pearson has signed for Saints not Tigers
A2O
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

My mistake, meant Rogerson.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/jamiedoig/status/16 ... KxsQg&s=19

Guessing the kit launch is happening soon...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:12 pm We are short of West and Leatigaga as options from where we were last year, so you’d have to hope there is another player incoming, ideally starting calibre like West. Goodrick-Clarke seems like a West’esque level replacement, perhaps he has a release clause at Ealing? Ideal world we could get Fasogbon also, as he seems a high potential talent, but is he too close development wise to Hoyt to warrant bringing him in at the same time. Perhaps just assume Richardson and maybe Hoyt pick up Leatigaga’s minutes.
I think the cap may constrain us to doing very little more than having one or two senior academy players step up. Hope I am wrong.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:04 pm https://twitter.com/jamiedoig/status/16 ... KxsQg&s=19

Guessing the kit launch is happening soon...
Would guess that's probably all training kit, I think the main kit launch has been in late July the last couple years hasn't it?
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

We've been close-ish a couple of times but I'm still hoping for something a bit more traditional hoops for the home shirt. As modelled by Mr Croft back in 2009.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Not sure if he meant to do so, but in his piece on Quins' recruitment, Charlie Morgan in the Telegraph has confirmed Keiron Wilkinson is joining Tigers.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:09 am Not sure if he meant to do so, but in his piece on Quins' recruitment, Charlie Morgan in the Telegraph has confirmed Keiron Wilkinson is joining Tigers.
Great spot!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:09 am Not sure if he meant to do so, but in his piece on Quins' recruitment, Charlie Morgan in the Telegraph has confirmed Keiron Wilkinson is joining Tigers.
Excellent signing. With him and Atkinson 2 quality young players moving forward
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I'd be happy with that. He had a good spell in the Sale side last season, the game Vs Quins where Wilkinson and Quirke controlled the game fantastically and helped engineer the Sale win over Care and Smith was impressive. He fell down the pecking order this season with Ford and du Preez playing most the minutes. Tom Curtis being the favoured third choice under Sanderson.

Sale did have a bit of a luxury having both Curtis and Wilkinson as good young 10s. Before the rumours of him coming to us I'd sort of assumed Falcons would have made a play for Wilkinson as they look for more reliable alternative to Connon (who can be great or can be anonymous).
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

For those without a Telegraph subscription this is what the article states. (Note it is technically a piece on Quins)
Kieran Wilkinson is thought to have been another fly-half option for Harlequins. Evans has featured in eight Tests and amassed well over 100 senior appearances for Cardiff. Wilkinson, an age-grade contemporary of Smith, has instead traded Sale for Leicester in a bid to invigorate his career.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

In Pollard, Atkinson and Wilkinson, that gives us a really good stock of fly halves (plus Shilcock who can play there). On that basis, Steward, Shillcock and Brown is an equally good stock at full back. If you look in the centres too, Kelly, Porter, Kata, Scott, Cokanasiga plus you'd imagine Cusick and Woodward to be promoted to the senior squad, we look pretty stocked there. If Browning gets promoted to the senior squad, and maybe one of Porter or Kata to be used primarily as a Winger, maybe just the one signing (either Watson to stay or A. N. Other) and I think the backs business is done.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TTRITH wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:30 am
In Pollard, Atkinson and Wilkinson, that gives us a really good stock of fly halves (plus Shilcock who can play there). On that basis, Steward, Shillcock and Brown is an equally good stock at full back. If you look in the centres too, Kelly, Porter, Kata, Scott, Cokanasiga plus you'd imagine Cusick and Woodward to be promoted to the senior squad, we look pretty stocked there. If Browning gets promoted to the senior squad, and maybe one of Porter or Kata to be used primarily as a Winger, maybe just the one signing (either Watson to stay or A. N. Other) and I think the backs business is done.
sad to say that I don’t think Browning is anywhere near 1st team standard.
A2O
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Wilkinson is an interesting pickup, 2 years older than Atkinson and less experienced. Hopefully he can find his mojo and kick on