Super Rugby Final - fans jeering

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Super Rugby Final - fans jeering

Post by Grimlish »

Just read a short match summary, watched a match highlight reel and read an article claiming match officials were jeered at the post match presentations by Chiefs fans.

Couldn’t see why that had happened. The only ‘contentious’ decision shown in the highlights was the incident resulting in Sam Cane’s yellow on 72 minutes when Chiefs were leading. Decision looked right to me although I couldn’t see all the angles. So, anything else?

And more importantly what drives the jeering? Match officials are on hiding to nothing. Replays are near instantaneous from multiple angles yet referees have to make game-deciding decisions without that benefit unless a try has (maybe) been scored. Just bad sportsmanship from Chiefs fans?
Do we need to go to NFL-style refereeing ie multiple referees, flags etc, or put more emphasis on fans having more respect for the officials? If so, how?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Super Rugby Final - fans jeering

Post by Rugbygramps »

Watched the game and tbh the Chiefs fans were anti the officials all game with lots of jeering and cowbells.
Their main bone of contention was the breakdown which in true southern hemisphere style was refereed a bit more leniently by O’keefe, I think. The Crusaders back row definitely got the upper hand over the more experienced Chiefs back row, quick mention here for Tom Christie, who was outstanding, and I would welcome to Leicester as a 7.
Could also have been that the chiefs were favourites, at home and on paper the stronger squad. Crusaders maybe wanted it more with it being the last game for Robinson, Whitelock and others.

Decisions on the likes of forward passes and line out throws are why Wayne Barnes and others are so keen for the smart ball technology to be introduced as it takes away the human element and as in Tennis and Cricket people don’t argue with technology.

Re Canes yellow card, was the right decision. Chiefs 8 got one for multiple team offences, and tbh Linnert Brown was lucky his yellow wasn’t upgraded especially as McCloud stayed off after his HIA
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Don’t know how they can moan,ALB got away with a stone cold red! Didn’t see them jeering that decision!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:04 pm Don’t know how they can moan,ALB got away with a stone cold red! Didn’t see them jeering that decision!
Almost the reddest red ever not given! Baffling.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:47 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:04 pm Don’t know how they can moan,ALB got away with a stone cold red! Didn’t see them jeering that decision!
Yeah, no idea how that wasn't a straight red. There was no dipping I could see, he just ran into him bolt upright.
Last edited by ads on Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Linert-Brown has now been cited and got a 3 week ban for it (ruling him out of the entire Rugby Championship)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ads wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:52 am
Yeah, no idea how that wasn't a straight red. There was dipping I could see, he just ran into him bolt upright.
Much as I would rather discuss the rugby this one sits very much with the TMO. I’m unsure if under the review system there is still the option for a straight red, as one of the reasons for it is to speed games up. Also in this competition a red carded player can be replaced after 20 minutes. Unsure if replacement is allowed in the u20s games who are also reviewing decisions
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:45 am

Yeah, no idea how that wasn't a straight red. There was dipping I could see, he just ran into him bolt upright.
Much as I would rather discuss the rugby this one sits very much with the TMO. I’m unsure if under the review system there is still the option for a straight red, as one of the reasons for it is to speed games up. Also in this competition a red carded player can be replaced after 20 minutes. Unsure if replacement is allowed in the u20s games who are also reviewing decisions
Very much so. And how can the TMO be reviewing in the background yet watching the game?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:29 am Linert-Brown has now been cited and got a 3 week ban for it (ruling him out of the entire Rugby Championship)
That's quite refreshing from NZRU.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:04 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:45 am

Very much so. And how can the TMO be reviewing in the background yet watching the game?
Agreed there is going to be a central review hub away from the grounds at RWC
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

A further report on the abuse received by O’Keeffe and NZR’s reaction to it.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/new-zeal ... n-okeeffe/
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

From Difford's "History of South African Rugby Football"

'Particularly at Leicester, the crowds were not exactly prejudiced in our favour. There were certain sections so hostile that Cartwright* had play stopped on more than one occasion and appealed to them to be fair. Then, however, came a most scintillating passing movement by our backs and the crowd changed in a flash and cheered us to the echo. We had won the hearts of the British sportsmen and wherever we went, we were received with tremendous enthusiasm.'

Taken from the matchday programme of Midlands v South Africa, the first post-apartheid game on November 4th 1992.

* V.H. (Lump) Cartwright (Nottingham, England, International referee and first-class cricketer for Nottinghamshire) who later became RFU president was the captain for the day when Midland Counties hosted the South Africans at Welford Road in 1906.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina