LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:40 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:11 pm He's more a 6/8. He's also an excellent leader

Would give us back 5 pack
4 - Martin, Henderson, Carter, Carmicheal
5 - Chessum, Wells, Chessum, T.Manz
6 - Hanro, Rogerson, Carnduff, Starkey (Hard not seeing him get a contract)
7 - Reffell, Cracknell, Manz, Perkins (I would imagine he will get a senior academy contract)
8 - Wiese, Hatherell, Ilione, Koroiyadi
Pretty much perfect IMO.
Josh Manz isn't an openside though, he's a 6 that might fill out and play lock. Bit like Carnduff. Our website lists him as 6ft6 so I'll be impressed if he becomes a threat at the breakdown with that frame. Ilione looks increasingly like Reffell's understudy for next season.

Rogerson is a work horse and a leader. If memory serves he isn't bad at the breakdown but wouldn't have had the mobility and skills to be the link man in attack.

I'd have preferred Basham as he's similar to Cracknell but younger.

Rogerson will be a handy leader in the world cup period though and will add some solid depth for the business end were injuries to strike. Rotation is generally key to the teams that remain at the top year after year.
Glad you picked that up on Manz,was gonna post that he’s a monster lock/hybrid before realising that’s his brother! But upon further thinking I remembered that Josh wasn’t an openside either
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:14 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:11 pm He's more a 6/8. He's also an excellent leader

7 - Reffell, Cracknell, Manz, Perkins (I would imagine he will get a senior academy contract)
Pretty much perfect IMO.
Josh Manz isn't an openside though, he's a 6 that might fill out and play lock. Bit like Carnduff. Our website lists him as 6ft6 so I'll be impressed if he becomes a threat at the breakdown with that frame. Ilione looks increasingly like Reffell's understudy for next season.

Rogerson is a work horse and a leader. If memory serves he isn't bad at the breakdown but wouldn't have had the mobility and skills to be the link man in attack.

Rogerson will be a handy leader in the world cup period though and will add some solid depth for the business end were injuries to strike. Rotation is generally key to the teams that remain at the top year after year.
Glad you picked that up on Manz,was gonna post that he’s a monster lock/hybrid before realising that’s his brother! But upon further thinking I remembered that Josh wasn’t an openside either
We have on occasion stuck Liebenburg at 7 but that's mainly been when we've gone for a particular physical game plan. In that type of system maybe J Manz could drop in at 7 but unless we become Exeter not with any regularity.

I did wonder if we'd look at Brooke from LI as another openside option. He's pretty physical for an openside so would fit in. Be a development player addition but could maybe fill in for Prem Cup games. He was an England under 20 I think last season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Pretty much perfect IMO.

From what I told of Manz he's very much viewed as a all round back rower.
He doesn't have the perfect height for a 7, but he played there throughout the U18 campaign even started the final at 7 with Koroiyadi and Owen @ 6 and 8.
When he came off the bench for England U20's he played 7, as well as starting @ 7 with Loughborough regularly potentially even think it's only been where he has played.
He was also starting at 8 for England U19 this spring

I have no doubt his frame is certainly more suited going forward to 6 but to say he isn't a openside despite the fact he has prob played more rugby at openside currently, is just maybe more a case of rugby by numbers approach.

Don't get me wrong Ilione is def the future at 7, but I wanted to have 4 packs basically and Ilione has played more 8 than Manz and Manz has played a lot at 7 so it balances out in terms of symmetry. It's why I just put Starkey and Perkins in the squad despite no confirmation on their contracts because I didn't want Koroiyadi on his own so wouldn't focus too much on where I put the back rowers.

If I was to do a proper depth chart it would look a lot different e.g. off the top of my head
6. Liebenberg, Rogerson, Hatherell, Martin, Chessum, Carnduff, Wells, Ilione, Manz
7. Reffell, Cracknell, Ilione, Manz, Liebenberg, Martin
8. Wiese, Cracknell, Liebenberg, Rogerson, Hatherell, Ilione, Martin, Chessum, Manz
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

After watching the U20’s yesterday I’m hoping we’ve got an eye on Afolabi Fasogbon. Will be picked up imminently you’d think
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:57 pm

Pretty much perfect IMO.

From what I told of Manz he's very much viewed as a all round back rower.
He doesn't have the perfect height for a 7, but he played there throughout the U18 campaign even started the final at 7 with Koroiyadi and Owen @ 6 and 8.
When he came off the bench for England U20's he played 7, as well as starting @ 7 with Loughborough regularly potentially even think it's only been where he has played.
He was also starting at 8 for England U19 this spring

I have no doubt his frame is certainly more suited going forward to 6 but to say he isn't a openside despite the fact he has prob played more rugby at openside currently, is just maybe more a case of rugby by numbers approach.

Don't get me wrong Ilione is def the future at 7, but I wanted to have 4 packs basically and Ilione has played more 8 than Manz and Manz has played a lot at 7 so it balances out in terms of symmetry. It's why I just put Starkey and Perkins in the squad despite no confirmation on their contracts because I didn't want Koroiyadi on his own so wouldn't focus too much on where I put the back rowers.

If I was to do a proper depth chart it would look a lot different e.g. off the top of my head
6. Liebenberg, Rogerson, Hatherell, Martin, Chessum, Carnduff, Wells, Ilione, Manz
7. Reffell, Cracknell, Ilione, Manz, Liebenberg, Martin
8. Wiese, Cracknell, Liebenberg, Rogerson, Hatherell, Ilione, Martin, Chessum, Manz
Fair enough I was more going on his frame and the fact he played 6 in the Prem Cup this season.

England under 20s don't really play with an openside. Probably the weak point in the pack there at the minute.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

I would be surprised that we think flanker is the area to spend more money at the moment, with 37 currently senior contracted players we're not over stocked anywhere so it's not that we couldn't do with another flanker but we only have 7 props currently and I would say 2 are definitely not really good enough and another in Hurd is still training on. Plus none of the academy players are "on the cusp" of pushing on, none of them have even played properly in the Prem Cup. Looking at the, generally well updated, lists of transfers on wikipedia there are simply loads and loads of good props available at the moment.

I'd very interested in Leigh Halfpenny, as then we could see Atkinson more without the pressure of the kicking, or instead of Wilkinson signing up Gareth Anscombe as an option. Rhys Patchell is also available as is Rhys Priestland.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:16 pm I would be surprised that we think flanker is the area to spend more money at the moment, with 37 currently senior contracted players we're not over stocked anywhere so it's not that we couldn't do with another flanker but we only have 7 props currently and I would say 2 are definitely not really good enough and another in Hurd is still training on. Plus none of the academy players are "on the cusp" of pushing on, none of them have even played properly in the Prem Cup. Looking at the, generally well updated, lists of transfers on wikipedia there are simply loads and loads of good props available at the moment.

I'd very interested in Leigh Halfpenny, as then we could see Atkinson more without the pressure of the kicking, or instead of Wilkinson signing up Gareth Anscombe as an option. Rhys Patchell is also available as is Rhys Priestland.
Think the signing of Shilcock and the extension of Brown more than cover us at 15 with Steward and possibly Watson away. Atkinson kicked fine when playing for Wasps and if he aspires to be first choice he is going to have to take it on sooner or later
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With Atkinson his place kicking has come on significantly since a very shakey start. I think there was a interview with him in which he credited Sinfield getting him to change tee's
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Atkinson has the potential to be a very good player but we need to trust him
A2O
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:43 pm
sk 88 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:16 pm I would be surprised that we think flanker is the area to spend more money at the moment, with 37 currently senior contracted players we're not over stocked anywhere so it's not that we couldn't do with another flanker but we only have 7 props currently and I would say 2 are definitely not really good enough and another in Hurd is still training on. Plus none of the academy players are "on the cusp" of pushing on, none of them have even played properly in the Prem Cup. Looking at the, generally well updated, lists of transfers on wikipedia there are simply loads and loads of good props available at the moment.

Think the signing of Shilcock and the extension of Brown more than cover us at 15 with Steward and possibly Watson away. Atkinson kicked fine when playing for Wasps and if he aspires to be first choice he is going to have to take it on sooner or later

In 30 games for Wasps he kicked 2 penalties & 8 conversions. He was not their regular kicked as Gopperth & Umaga were generally preferred when either was at 12 or 15 respectively.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:37 pm

In 30 games for Wasps he kicked 2 penalties & 8 conversions. He was not their regular kicked as Gopperth & Umaga were generally preferred when either was at 12 or 15 respectively.
To the best of my memory Gopperth had moved on and Umaga was injured in their final partial season
Not sure where you got your stats from but suggest they may be inaccurate.
As others have mentioned his kicking has improved and if he has aspirations to play 10 regularly he has to take those responsibilities on and I’m not sure that bringing in 2 Welshman coming to the end of their careers will do any one any good especially considering the other members of our squad
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:45 pm
sk 88 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:37 pm

To the best of my memory Gopperth had moved on and Umaga was injured in their final partial season
Not sure where you got your stats from but suggest they may be inaccurate.
As others have mentioned his kicking has improved and if he has aspirations to play 10 regularly he has to take those responsibilities on and I’m not sure that bringing in 2 Welshman coming to the end of their careers will do any one any good especially considering the other members of our squad
which Welshmen?
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Agree completely on needing more prop resources. There's rumours Will Goodrick-Clark is heading to Ealing which suggests that he's had no meaningful offers. Very odd as he's a good prop at Prem level.

I'm not interested in Halfpenny. We have several fullback options and he's no use on the wing anymore. Shillcock can play 15 and kick for goal of required. Whiteley can play 9 and kick for goal.

Anscombe won't come here for a bit part role or for a small salary. Patchell is an injury liability and rumoured off to France. Priestland on a short term deal to help cover the world cup, I'd get on board with. The young lad Wilkinson has more than a bit about him, my opinion is that he's to good to be third choice so the competition between him and Atkinson will be fierce.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

I don’t think you mentioned Sam Davies or possibly even Stephen Jones if we wanted to go with experience.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The stats are close for Atkinson ,he rarely kicked at all for Wasps.3 conversions 21/22 and 2 conversions and 1 penalty 20/21.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer