LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by markharbtiger »

Tigersunited wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:01 pm
trendylfj wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:54 am Telegraph have him staying - "Besides Kata and Bassett, Ollie Hassell-Collins, Sam Carter and Kyle Hatherell have all been signed to strengthen Tigers. And, for now, Anthony Watson appears to be staying. McKellar has plenty to mould. Without the backroom upheaval of last season, reaching the play-offs must be his aim"
I’d say we have a great squad and top 2 is the aim.
I like your optimism
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by sam16111986 »

markharbtiger wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:40 pm
Tigersunited wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:01 pm
trendylfj wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:54 am Telegraph have him staying - "Besides Kata and Bassett, Ollie Hassell-Collins, Sam Carter and Kyle Hatherell have all been signed to strengthen Tigers. And, for now, Anthony Watson appears to be staying. McKellar has plenty to mould. Without the backroom upheaval of last season, reaching the play-offs must be his aim"
I’d say we have a great squad and top 2 is the aim.
I like your optimism
Top 2 should definitely be the target. It's the not the minimum but we should definitely have our eyes on a home semi final, it's both good for business and the most likely way to progress to the Prem final.

We've got a good squad for next season. A couple of areas aren't ideal but there's no massive weaknesses. Get Pollard back from the world up in one piece and keep him that way and he'll be huge for us.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

But it’s World Cup Year.
New coaching team need time so I’d say the target is to take one game at a time aiming to win.
We will really miss Wigglesworth and there’s no telling what till the World Cup will take in terms of players fitness. Sadly I can see Pollard coming back injured! I hope not as he is a truly class act: as are all our lads.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Ian Cant wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:36 pm But it’s World Cup Year.
New coaching team need time so I’d say the target is to take one game at a time aiming to win.
We will really miss Wigglesworth and there’s no telling what till the World Cup will take in terms of players fitness. Sadly I can see Pollard coming back injured! I hope not as he is a truly class act: as are all our lads.
Plus looking at the pool completion in what was the Heineken Cup, I think our physios will be busy this season!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Pellsey wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:02 am My gut feeling now about Watson is that he is to be paid by England from July until the end of the world cup (ie be clubless) and then will look at signing with a club. I may be wrong, and this might be a stupid idea, but I can see this happening, especially as he has just got married...
I think this sets a dangerous precedent for the RFU to have to deal with if other players don’t sign with clubs in the future.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Surely to win the Premiership has to be the aim, with top 4 minimum. Come on, this is Tigers... we shouldn't aim for anything less!

Whether we will manage this or not is maybe a different story. We certainly have a very decent squad, so I think it is possible.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:12 pm
Pellsey wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:02 am My gut feeling now about Watson is that he is to be paid by England from July until the end of the world cup (ie be clubless) and then will look at signing with a club. I may be wrong, and this might be a stupid idea, but I can see this happening, especially as he has just got married...
I think this sets a dangerous precedent for the RFU to have to deal with if other players don’t sign with clubs in the future.
I completely agree, and I sincerely hope this is not the case.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

My gut says that he knows exactly where he's going (I.e Japan/France), that Tigers have agreed to not announce him as leaving, the new club have agreed to not announce him as coming and that the RFU are turning a blind eye because Steve wants him in the World Cup squad.

I may need to take off my tin hat, but at this point I don't think we see him in a Tigers shirt next season.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:58 am
My gut says that he knows exactly where he's going (I.e Japan/France), that Tigers have agreed to not announce him as leaving, the new club have agreed to not announce him as coming and that the RFU are turning a blind eye because Steve wants him in the World Cup squad.

I may need to take off my tin hat, but at this point I don't think we see him in a Tigers shirt next season.
This also makes sense, unfortunately...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Watson not going Sarries then?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:36 am Watson not going Sarries then?
It was posted on here a few weeks ago that a source from Sarries said they've given up on him.

However said source said that was because he was staying here, so if that was a genuine source then I wouldn't say in increases rumours of him going abroad.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:00 am

This also makes sense, unfortunately...
Not really as he's previously said he'd rather stay in England as it's closer to family and that moving closer to Surrey would be preferable as that's where his family are and he wants that support structure with a young family at home.

Moving to Japan or France would then make it tricky.

I suspect his agent has been trying to do deals to get him down to Quins or Sarries which would be closer but has kept an offer on the table from us as well. With Potter going we are probably more interested than ever in keeping him.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I sincerely hope the club isn’t being used like this as a player. If he is leaving there is no benefit to the club not to announce he is going
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

At contract time I would think any player does what he thinks best for himself and his family whilst the club does what is best for the club. I hope we manage to keep Watson but I do not want to see us extending his contract by his one season when he is likely to be absent on World Cup.and 6 Nations duty for much of it, for me if he does re-sign it must be for a minimum of two years or even better for three.I
Surely we are getting close to the club announcement of the squads for next season, I do realise they have problems not knowing who will.be required by Borthwick but unfortunately most decisions have to be made now.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:39 pm At contract time I would think any player does what he thinks best for himself and his family whilst the club does what is best for the club. I hope we manage to keep Watson but I do not want to see us extending his contract by his one season when he is likely to be absent on World Cup.and 6 Nations duty for much of it, for me if he does re-sign it must be for a minimum of two years or even better for three.I
Surely we are getting close to the club announcement of the squads for next season, I do realise they have problems not knowing who will.be required by Borthwick but unfortunately most decisions have to be made now.
JTG other than Sarries and Sale players I can’t see anyone being added to the England squad now. I think it will be more a gradual reduction in numbers until the final 33 is announced.
I do wonder if we are looking at some of the Irish players on late deals. There are still some quality players who’s destination hasn’t been announced including a couple of Argentinian players