Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by sam16111986 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:44 pm
ABClub wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:03 pm The are some faint rumours that Racing were chasing Marcus Smith very hard not only when his contract expires at the end of next season but also offering the cash for an early release for the coming season. Maybe nothing in it but I've heard that from a couple of folk now.
Losing one of the young leading lights would be interesting to see how the RFU handle the overseas selection issue. Borthwick is, according to an article from a while back, in favour of players being able to play overseas and still play for England
M Smith out and F Smith in.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:12 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:08 pm
ABClub wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:03 pm The are some faint rumours that Racing were chasing Marcus Smith very hard not only when his contract expires at the end of next season but also offering the cash for an early release for the coming season. Maybe nothing in it but I've heard that from a couple of folk now.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t go to the World Cup
Also wouldn't be entirely shocked if he did miss out.
Apologies no I don’t think he’ll go to the World Cup but also wouldn’t be surprised if he went to Racing if he didn’t
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

If he does go to the World Cup he will be third choice behind Farrell and Ford and will only play if one of those two are injured. Smith is a very good premiership player but is an average international player.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:05 pm
Losing one of the young leading lights would be interesting to see how the RFU handle the overseas selection issue. Borthwick is, according to an article from a while back, in favour of players being able to play overseas and still play for England
Or P Jackson. Putting everything else to one side he would suit Quins style of play really well. All totally hypothetical of course
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

If any English player signs to play abroad and fails to have it written into their contracts that they will be available for all the midweek training sessions that Premiership players are contracted to attend then they should not be selected for England. I don't believe that French clubs will agree to that so for Marcus Smith or anyone else to move to France writes the end of their England career.
There was exceptions made for Wasps and Worcester players when they became unemployed mid season, will the same apply to London Irish players who are currently unemployed but have the next few weeks to find a new team?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:11 am If any English player signs to play abroad and fails to have it written into their contracts that they will be available for all the midweek training sessions that Premiership players are contracted to attend then they should not be selected for England. I don't believe that French clubs will agree to that so for Marcus Smith or anyone else to move to France writes the end of their England career.
There was exceptions made for Wasps and Worcester players when they became unemployed mid season, will the same apply to London Irish players who are currently unemployed but have the next few weeks to find a new team?
I think that exception was only up to RWC, after that I believe the likes of Jack Willis will not be available for selection
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:54 am

Or P Jackson. Putting everything else to one side he would suit Quins style of play really well. All totally hypothetical of course
I was thinking for England but Jackson would probably do very well for Quins.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:44 pm

I was thinking for England but Jackson would probably do very well for Quins.
Oh right yes possibly though there are some good other alternatives. For the World Cup I don’t believe they would need more than Farrell and Ford
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

"Putting everything else to one side he would suit Quins style of play really well"

Have I missed something here?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:18 pm

"Putting everything else to one side he would suit Quins style of play really well"

Have I missed something here?
A court trial that ended in his departure from Ulster and eventual arrival at Irish
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I wouldn't call a sketchy acquittal 'just ancient history'. They way Irish and the media brushed his behaviour under the carpet always sat very poorly with me.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:40 pm I wouldn't call a sketchy acquittal 'just ancient history'.
In terms of the fact that it was a few years ago now. I agree totally about the verdict should have been trialled in England
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I can think of one person who doesn't think it's ancient history.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:03 pm I can think of one person who doesn't think it's ancient history.
As people seem to be offended by that phrase I will change it
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Last time said player signed for a club, they lost a major sponsor who had been affiliated with them for 30+ years. Now London Irish enter administration. Now there's nothing to say one directly led to the other at all. However cannot think given the financial situation of rugby in this country that any club would risk the sponsorship loss of any of their sponsors.

I expect him to end up in France or Japan
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.