Exiles set for Exile?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Exiles set for Exile?

Post by wigworth »

baz1664 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:18 am Maybe a British and Irish Super League is required, look for some serious investment to build and promote it.
It would also have to have CVC's approval, given their large investment into the Prem and URC and they will never give up on having the SA teams involved with European club rugby now.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

First, I am very sorry to see LI in the position they are in. The players coaches and fans don't deserve that.
The precariousness of the sport at the highest level is underlined by the column by Gerard Meagher in the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... s-of-power
Whatever the cause, there is definitely a problem. I'm hoping things might stabilise or improve but I am not sure if that is realistic. I do however think that (1) more should be done to help those players and coaches impacted - it sends a terrible message to youngsters considering a professional rugby career, and (2) the lack of a good TV deal needs to be addressed, though I appreciate this isn't easy with all the sport in this country. Exposure is key to generating interest.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:26 pm
WildGoose wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:06 pm So obviously this is conjecture but a friend got a sports massage from the Exiles' physio (or one of them, I imagine they have a few) and was told that two other clubs are about to go to the wall. Falcons and, erm, well, apparently we are. Is that bogus? How worried are we/should we be?
According to "Ruck" it's Tigers and Chiefs.

That is According to Ruck.

https://www.ruck.co.uk/failed-to-come-g ... suspended/
Which is just clickbait. They have the understanding of 5 year olds.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

This is disastrous. The pro game is in tatters.

And whilst all this was happening, Simon Massie-Taylor was giving a speech at the Final saying it's been a successful year for Premiership Rugby.

We're down to 10 teams, but I don't feel confident we won't lose more. Is a league with <10 teams even feasible?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Much as I hate to say it, an invitation for at least 2 of the welsh regions has to be made to join the premiership, they need it and financially it wouldn’t hurt the English clubs either.
Time to rip up the rule book and start again
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:17 am This is disastrous. The pro game is in tatters.

And whilst all this was happening, Simon Massie-Taylor was giving a speech at the Final saying it's been a successful year for Premiership Rugby.

We're down to 10 teams, but I don't feel confident we won't lose more. Is a league with <10 teams even feasible?
Probably not - Tigers were in an "ok" position until Wasps and Worcester folded, that flicked two cards away from the base of the money income house....
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Presumably all of the central funding and TV money will now be shared between 10 teams instead of 13 so this will give clubs extra income which should make up for losing home games.
A2O
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Sad to see the demise of LI, I did like their style of play. Pearson, Creevy, Jackson standout players. The staff etc must be gutted. So the Prem get their 10 teams, solves that problem.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:33 am Presumably all of the central funding and TV money will now be shared between 10 teams instead of 13 so this will give clubs extra income which should make up for losing home games.
And, now that they’ve stopped screening every game, there’s no loss of content.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

If the 10 team league means full strength teams, a proper second tier with promotion/relegation it could turn out alright......

A bit of a fiasco though.

Not sure about getting in teams from the URC - even if that was a possibility, which I am not sure it is.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I suppose there will be some sort of rejig of cup competition so that there will not be a reduction in the actual number of games with fans demanding a lower season ticket price.
Last edited by johnthegriff on Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ourla wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:44 am If the 10 team league means full strength teams, a proper second tier with promotion/relegation it could turn out alright......
But when do the youngsters get the opportunity to get into the team? It was easier when the PRC/LV/AWC was a semi-serious competition, but now it's almost (well it is) a Championship level comp. Arguably it'll mean only the very best will break through perhaps.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:57 am
ourla wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:44 am If the 10 team league means full strength teams, a proper second tier with promotion/relegation it could turn out alright......
But when do the youngsters get the opportunity to get into the team? It was easier when the PRC/LV/AWC was a semi-serious competition, but now it's almost (well it is) a Championship level comp. Arguably it'll mean only the very best will break through perhaps.
This is where a properly run championship and Division 1 are key
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I believe they intend to increase the EQP threshold in the 2024 agreement, so more incentive for teams to use homegrown talent.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:03 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:57 am
This is where a properly run championship and Division 1 are key
Yes.