LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Cunningham-South would be my no.1 target.

As much as White would be a good target I think we want a long term 2nd choice 9 who is unlikely to be away in international periods
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by RagingBull »

On 9 I'm willing to see what Edwards can do.
With JVP and Youngs can't see many other 9's of note being that keen to come.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:23 pm Cunningham-South would be my no.1 target.

As much as White would be a good target I think we want a long term 2nd choice 9 who is unlikely to be away in international periods
We need a Shazam type 9.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

sk 88 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:12 pm Believe he's graduated from Nottingham Uni & looking to go pro somewhere.
He’s re-signed for Nottingham
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:43 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:41 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:35 pm Loosehead
Number 8
Centre
Wing
For me with Wiese. Cracknell and Hatherall we are well stocked at 8.
Would rather see a 6/7, Gonzalez would be a great pick
For me Cracknell is a better starting 7 or bench player than actual 8.

Also 8 for me is a position we don’t have a natural youngster coming up just yet.
Ilione? I am surprised we haven't seen more of him, and assuming that's due to the depth we have had...
But agree with your assessment at LH, centre and wing. I am wondering if some of the senior academy players might be stepping up?
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:03 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:01 pm With what appears to be the confirmed demise of London Irish who would posters like to see snapped up.
For me Pearson, Loader, and the return of Ben White depending how much longer Lenny will carry on
No to Ben White as would be missing for a chunk of the season.
My initial reaction was Ben White, but that's a good point re availability.
Last edited by markharbtiger on Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terracetiger4
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Terracetiger4 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:23 pm Cunningham-South would be my no.1 target.

I agree with this. CCS has to be a target. Wouldn’t mind van rensburg or will Joseph either
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

My only reservation with the LI bandwagon is can we really afford them? It is not so long ago that we had to be bailed out by a couple of very important people to the club and I do not want to see us having to try to do it again. I read not all that long ago that there were 5 clubs at risk at the start of the last season and 3 of the 5 have now gone and we were number 4 in that list (before anyone asks - NO - I don't have the link). We don't HAVE to spend up to the cap unless we can afford it but I do trust AP to keep us in check.

I wonder now what the situation is with Watson???? I believe that he was looking at 2 clubs, LI and Sarries and now LI have gone and Sarries have now retained Maitland I wonder if he really will be staying with us at a salary we can afford
Hehehehehehehehe
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree but we do seem to have shed far more players than we have signed so May have some room for one or two more signings.
A2O
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Terracetiger4 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:43 am

I agree with this. CCS has to be a target. Wouldn’t mind van rensburg or will Joseph either
CCS will be a prime target for several clubs. Young, cheap and bags of potential. I'd have him in an instant as a long term bet. White will be hoovered up to Edinburgh I suspect unless perhaps Quins find some space in the cap - they have a lack of dept alongside 36 year old Care and have been hesitant in trusting Gjaltema.

I wonder if Potter's replacement may come from LI?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not as sold on CCS as some, bags of potential yes, but our back row aren’t exactly ready to draw their pensions.
Will be interesting to see how he gets on in the u20 championship against the French and southern hemisphere sides
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:14 am
Terracetiger4 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:43 am

CCS will be a prime target for several clubs. Young, cheap and bags of potential. I'd have him in an instant as a long term bet. White will be hoovered up to Edinburgh I suspect unless perhaps Quins find some space in the cap - they have a lack of dept alongside 36 year old Care and have been hesitant in trusting Gjaltema.

I wonder if Potter's replacement may come from LI?
Ben Whites move initially was partly down to him wanting to be nearer to London, due his girlfriend’s career. Quins would be a good shout but also, dare I say it Saracens, who’s game he would really suit
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:27 am Not as sold on CCS as some, bags of potential yes, but our back row aren’t exactly ready to draw their pensions.
Will be interesting to see how he gets on in the u20 championship against the French and southern hemisphere sides
I think that's the point. At the right price he's worth a punt. A rough diamond who we'd be in no rush to develop. But potentially adding a bit more at 8 than any of our other back up options can offer.
I wonder now what the situation is with Watson???? I believe that he was looking at 2 clubs, LI and Sarries and now LI have gone and Sarries have now retained Maitland I wonder if he really will be staying with us at a salary we can afford
I wonder if it depends who Saracens might poach from LI.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:48 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:27 am Not as sold on CCS as some, bags of potential yes, but our back row aren’t exactly ready to draw their pensions.
I think that's the point. At the right price he's worth a punt. A rough diamond who we'd be in no rush to develop. But potentially adding a bit more at 8 than any of our other back up options can offer.
I wonder if it depends who Saracens might poach from LI.
In my opinion, and that means nothing, I would walk away from Watson now unless he is taking a rock bottom deal. With general league finances as they are, it would take a potentially high earner off the wage bill and, if injuries strike, the unfortunate circumstances around finances have meant that there would be a number of injury dispensation players available at any time.

That said, with another employer gone and with the market about to be flooded with another trenche of players, perhaps even the contract on the table is too generous given market conditions.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Only player I’d be interested in from LI would be Loader - could potentially replace both Watson and Potter as he’d be available all season. Guy is seriously underrated.