LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Hot_Charlie »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:58 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:25 pm https://twitter.com/ProvenceRugby/statu ... FA2CQ&s=19

Gopperth to Provence now confirmed
Is it for a "year" ?! .......I'll get me coat
He's not that much younger than Peter Mayle was! :smt003
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by fortysix »

Jimmy falls on his feet. Provence, what a great place to play out your final years!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fortysix wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:11 pm Jimmy falls on his feet. Provence, what a great place to play out your final years!
Hope there are some decent golf courses for him
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

With what appears to be the confirmed demise of London Irish who would posters like to see snapped up.
For me Pearson, Loader, and the return of Ben White depending how much longer Lenny will carry on
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:01 pm With what appears to be the confirmed demise of London Irish who would posters like to see snapped up.
For me Pearson, Loader, and the return of Ben White depending how much longer Lenny will carry on
No to Ben White as would be missing for a chunk of the season.
A2O
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Yep, we'd miss White for the same periods that we'd need cover for JvP and/or Lenny. White has improved massively though I do feel.

Fischetti is a fantastic LH, quietly becoming a standout for Italy. He'd be missing for internationals though. Goodrick-Clarke is a very good Premiership player who would push Cronin for the starting shirt. Either at LH are the obvious targets.

Loader as a Potter replacement would be pretty ideal. Lucio Cinti is a talented wing too but not EQP and would likely be with Argentina.

I still think we need another ball carrier in the back row so CCS would be a dream steal.

Pearson and Arundell will have tons of suitors. Gonzalez has quietly become a brilliant for Argentina, somewhat similar to Fischetti, I expect he'll get a really good deal. In van Rensburg, Will Joseph and Morisi they'll have some sought after centres. Hoskins is a very consistent TH too, I wouldn't be surprised if Australia try to get him back into Super Rugby.

Whilst I suggested Sam Carter as a possibility before he signed I'd probably still take Api Ratuniyarawa over him these days but second row is fully stocked now.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Loosehead
Number 8
Centre
Wing

Are my target positions still

Maybe see what the injury situations are like I guess as well
Last edited by RagingBull on Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:35 pm Loosehead
Number 8
Centre
Wing
For me with Wiese. Cracknell and Hatherall we are well stocked at 8.
Would rather see a 6/7, Gonzalez would be a great pick
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:41 pm
Number 8
Centre
Wing
For me Cracknell is a better starting 7 or bench player than actual 8.

Also 8 for me is a position we don’t have a natural youngster coming up just yet.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:43 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:41 pm
Number 8
Centre
Wing
For me Cracknell is a better starting 7 or bench player than actual 8.

Also 8 for me is a position we don’t have a natural youngster coming up just yet.
Very true, depends where the new Coaches see Ilione playing to a certain degree too
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I'd have a look at Basham, physical and plays across the backrow (started more than one game at 6, 7 and 8 last season). Tall enough to be a jumper in the lineout and at 24 still young enough to improve. Won't be one of the headline signings so perhaps a good deal could be done.

Dykes the younger speedster scored a hat trick on debut and looks to be the next one off the LI conveyor belt. Get him in and develop him on behind the more experienced options we have. Again, cost effective.

Haffar and Fasogbon the two development props could be great steals as well. They are both big and mobile with a lot of potential. Haffar could be like a young Ellis with some good coaching.
JWar

Post by JWar »

Cunningham-south is definitely someone we should be targeting. He’s been really good for Irish especially coming on as an impact player. In the England U20 squad so lots of time to develop. He also covers second row
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I see Anthony Watson has just tweeted a sad face about the demise of LI. I hope that is in relation to past and not future association.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

fortysix wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:11 pm Jimmy falls on his feet. Provence, what a great place to play out your final years!
Former Tigers Johnny McPhilips and Peter Betham play for Provence and also ex Northampton Teimana Harrison too.
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JWar wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:32 pm Cunningham-south is definitely someone we should be targeting. He’s been really good for Irish especially coming on as an impact player. In the England U20 squad so lots of time to develop. He also covers second row
He's got the potential to be a very good 8 in the future. Handy utility option in the present. I suspect there will be a lot of offers for him though. He'd fit in well here but also Sale, Exeter, Sarries, Glaws and Saints. Bath will probably throw a contract out there as well.