Murrayfield - diabolical facilities!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Murrayfield - diabolical facilities!

Post by WirralExile »

I visited Murrayfield last night, for a concert (Bruce Springsteen) rather than a rugby match and being my first visit I had no idea what to expect in terms of facilities (food, drinks and toilets) although having been to Twickenham a number of times for Tigers games I was anticipating similar. Oh dear, whilst the concert was absolutely fantastic, Murrayfield needs to seriously sort out the facilities! I couldn't find any bar near the seating area inside the ground itself, all bars were outside the actual stands and served Tenants lager, cider and only some bars had wine and gin. No ale, no Guinness. As for the toilets, there were quite a few portaloos but they were in a dreadful state. My partner looked for the ladies loos and she was shocked to see that they were rebadged men's loos, with the urinal troughs along the walls and just a few cubicles to use.
I understand that Murrayfield has been hosting a number of concerts this year, including Beyonce and Harry Styles but they really need to sort out the facilities as the whole experience certainly put me and my partner off ever going back there for any event!
At least at Twickenham you can get drinks of your choice, not tasteless lager, and the ladies are catered for in respect of the loos.
I was at another concert at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium last summer and that is on a whole different level and the powers that be at Murrayfield should visit to see how it should be done!
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Murrayfield - diabolical facilities!

Post by tigerburnie »

You should have watched Rab C Nesbit or Still Game , just to acclimatise your senses first, the 21st Century still hasn't found parts of Scotland.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:00 pm You should have watched Rab C Nesbit or Still Game , just to acclimatise your senses first, the 21st Century still hasn't found parts of Scotland.
Ah, Still Game, what classic Scottish tv.
Hurdy gurdy gurdy, in the windy boxes…
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Think yourself lucky OP, I went to Murryfield to see Oasis in 2000 and the place was dry!!!

We got there early as well, didn't know there was no alcohol until we were in. The masses of people outside pubs on the way up there should have given it away really......
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

On rugby days there's outside catering and of course Rose Street for a drinkies
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Thanks Tigerburnie, we enjoyed Rose Street on the day before, as I always do when in Edinburgh, some good bars there. I also saw the crowds outside the various pubs on the way to the stadium. I was just expecting at least the equivalent of Twickenham, which whilst not great, at least has various bars, on all levels, not far from the seats. And the ladies are catered for in the toilet facilities. For a national stadium, the Scottish RFU need to do some serious updating.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I believe it was a conscious decision to not have bars inside the ground.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Spoilt for choice for good bars in Edinburgh. I generally avoid Rose Street, as I did as a student, but head for the Bow bar on Bow street (funnily enough) for a friendly atmosphere and great range of beers, Cafe Royal for something classier with the option of food, or the Hanging Bat for weird craft beer and burgers. So much choice though.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

The Cafe Royal is the classic starting point before the Rose Street Crawl and on Rose Street itself I like The Kenilworth.
I normally cannot bear Lager of any description as an Ale drinker but I have to say I have to Disagree about Tennants it’s one of the few I can stomach.. so much so I had a pint in Belfast only 2 days ago as a change to all the Guinness I had been downing all round the rest of Ireland.

Re Murrayfield… never been the same since they put seats in and stopped you bringing “ yer own Carry Oot” .. that’s when it was an epic venue!!

Deuchars is a good ale if you’re visiting Scotland
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There's quite a booming brewing industry in Scotland just now, but Brew Dog isn't one of the better ones.
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Having lived in Edinburgh for a while a few years ago, I'd endorse most of the above. The Athletics Arms aka Diggers is worth a visit. In the New Town, the Cumberland Bar. If you're into craft beer then try the Southern Bar. Teuchters Landing in Leith usually has some uncommon ales on too eg porter.
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:30 pm There's quite a booming brewing industry in Scotland just now, but Brew Dog isn't one of the better ones.
They thrive on publicity, good and bad, but may be one step from a "prawn sandwich" moment in their history.