LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by johnthegriff »

West was signed as injury cover because we had Cronin, Whitcombe and Leitigaga injured, he was available because of the failing of Wasps. Should we get a couple of injuries at loosehead next season we may well.be in the dispensation market but I doubt there will be a player as good as West available. I have always had a high regard for Whitcombe's potential and he is now of an age to deliver however if there is a quality experienced player for the position available and we have space in the cap I would sign him up particularly if he is the size of La Rochelle props.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Rugbygramps »

That’s my point JTG. We were very fortunate to get someone of Wests quality, and unfortunate due to the injuries. Talk of replacing West isn’t really accurate as he wasn’t originally in the squad. Yes we have lost Leatigaga but Richardson can step into that role
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I doubt very much Leatigaga was on third choice wages. There should be scope for another prop. We might be holding off recruiting until we know whether we'll need move tighthead cover or not.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Perhaps a bit harsh, but I've never been fully convinced by Richardson
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:46 pm Perhaps a bit harsh, but I've never been fully convinced by Richardson
Justified rather than harsh from what I've seen at Championship level. He's in no way a replacement for Nephi.

In his first season Nephi made 27 apps, second season 14 (with an injury layoff), third season 25 apps. He's already made 6 apps for the Tahs since arriving there as well. That's a different stratosphere of ability to Richardson.

His game time was limited this season by injury (he had surgery from what I heard rumour mill) rather than no longer being rated. West came in to take that game time, hence Nephi was allowed early release.

If we don't sign a replacement our depth on one side of the scrum will be a lot weaker.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:08 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:46 pm Perhaps a bit harsh, but I've never been fully convinced by Richardson
Justified rather than harsh from what I've seen at Championship level. He's in no way a replacement for Nephi.

In his first season Nephi made 27 apps, second season 14 (with an injury layoff), third season 25 apps. He's already made 6 apps for the Tahs since arriving there as well. That's a different stratosphere of ability to Richardson.

His game time was limited this season by injury (he had surgery from what I heard rumour mill) rather than no longer being rated. West came in to take that game time, hence Nephi was allowed early release.

If we don't sign a replacement our depth on one side of the scrum will be a lot weaker.
Richardson is in no way Leatigaga, however he is a MUCH cheaper option who gives us coverage both sides of the scrum.

Leatigaga was (especially when Gienga had visa problems) our 2nd choice Loosehead behind Genge.

This season he had definitely dropped behind Whitcombe & it appeared Van Wyk had nudged him down to 4th choice (pre his injury and West arriving). Hurd's development meant he was also our 4th choice Tighthead. Ok he was a significant step up on our 5th choice both sides Richardson, but his wage packet given his ability to cover both sides was likely that of a player expected in the 23 most weeks.

Personally Richardson has proven his value and if called on I think could do a job in the tight for us. Not as dynamic as Leatigaga but my goodness he'll be waaay cheaper
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Speaking of Gigena, can see him ending up back here if Irish fold.

Fischetti would be awesome, but probably more in demand.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:31 pm Speaking of Gigena, can see him ending up back here if Irish fold.
To be honest, I can't. He was good in the tight but I don't think he's mobile enough to kick chase or defend like we demand our props to currently. Gigena would get a much better deal in France where his scrummaging ability and work in the tight would be more suited.

Will Goodrick-Clark would be a good one to get our hands on. Big bloke who gets through quite a bit of work. Not an explosive carrier but he does carry quite a bit for tough yards. At 27 he's prime age and we should be able to improve his scrum work from solid to good. Pretty mobile for a big bloke.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:31 pm Speaking of Gigena, can see him ending up back here if Irish fold.

Fischetti would be awesome, but probably more in demand.
Thought I'd read Gigena was off to ProD2
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:28 pm
ABClub wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:08 pm

Richardson is in no way Leatigaga, however he is a MUCH cheaper option who gives us coverage both sides of the scrum.

Leatigaga was (especially when Gienga had visa problems) our 2nd choice Loosehead behind Genge.

This season he had definitely dropped behind Whitcombe & it appeared Van Wyk had nudged him down to 4th choice (pre his injury and West arriving). Hurd's development meant he was also our 4th choice Tighthead. Ok he was a significant step up on our 5th choice both sides Richardson, but his wage packet given his ability to cover both sides was likely that of a player expected in the 23 most weeks.

Personally Richardson has proven his value and if called on I think could do a job in the tight for us. Not as dynamic as Leatigaga but my goodness he'll be waaay cheaper
And that’s the key we are looking at a 4th choice prop. Cronin Whitcombe then Van Wyk are all capable of plyin at premiership level, so 4th choice should be a development unless another West suddenly appears on the market
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Talk of Pearson and Arundell already being heavily pursued by Bath. Hoping we keep a % of our powder dry in case some of these exceptional Irish lads become available
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:59 am Talk of Pearson and Arundell already being heavily pursued by Bath. Hoping we keep a % of our powder dry in case some of these exceptional Irish lads become available
Bath must be starting to get near the cap now. I know Russell is marquee but there is still some talent there. Not sure of their leavers list though
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Hope Arundell is good at running through mud then lol.
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Russell and du Toit in for Bath and then put;

Players Out
England Richard de Carpentier retiring
England Frankie Read released
South Africa Jordan Venter released
England Dave Attwood retiring
England Darren Atkins released
England Tom Doughty released
England Max Green released
England Gabriel Hamer-Webb released
Russia Valery Morozov released
England Will Spencer released
Scotland D'Arcy Rae released
South Africa Wesley White released
Australia Fergus Lee-Warner released

They should have a little cap to throw around still though another openside would seem an odd way to spend it when Reid, Cloete and Underhill are all still on the books. I suppose they could probably get him in under injury dispensation though for next season and then he could inherit Cloete's space in the squad for the season after.

If Tigers were looking for just a fourth choice signing at loosehead than Haffar would be a good shout, the kid is a beast and at 21 is prime for some refinement before becoming a Genge style prop in near future.

Check out the wheels.

https://twitter.com/premrugby/status/16 ... 44833?s=20
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:12 am Russell and du Toit in for Bath and then put;

Players Out
England Richard de Carpentier retiring
England Frankie Read released
South Africa Jordan Venter released
England Dave Attwood retiring
England Darren Atkins released
England Tom Doughty released
England Max Green released
England Gabriel Hamer-Webb released
Russia Valery Morozov released
England Will Spencer released
Scotland D'Arcy Rae released
South Africa Wesley White released
Australia Fergus Lee-Warner released

They should have a little cap to throw around still though another openside would seem an odd way to spend it when Reid, Cloete and Underhill are all still on the books. I suppose they could probably get him in under injury dispensation though for next season and then he could inherit Cloete's space in the squad for the season after.

If Tigers were looking for just a fourth choice signing at loosehead than Haffar would be a good shout, the kid is a beast and at 21 is prime for some refinement before becoming a Genge style prop in near future.

Check out the wheels.

https://twitter.com/premrugby/status/16 ... 44833?s=20
They also had to find room that wasn’t injury cap for Lawrence, Barbeary and Hill

Got to remember they didn’t have enough cap for Ewels to play for them end of season either