Draft system pondered by URC

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Draft system pondered by URC

Post by Old Hob »

This follows on from the discussions on a couple of threads, the Champions' cup semi , for example.

The URC are concerned about the gulf between top and bottom of their league; Zebre lost all 18 games, Leinster lost 2. They are suggesting that players may be drafted in from the English premiership to help out. They suggest this would appeal to clubs/ players who are not getting enough game time.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/65694650
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Draft system pondered by URC

Post by johnthegriff »

I question how that would be helpful to the national interests of Italy.. I think in America the Draft takes players from one club and places them with another to even things up. Maybe they will move a couple of Leinster players to Italy weakening one team whilst strengthening another in a move towards parity.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:23 pm I question how that would be helpful to the national interests of Italy.. I think in America the Draft takes players from one club and places them with another to even things up. Maybe they will move a couple of Leinster players to Italy weakening one team whilst strengthening another in a move towards parity.
The draft system in most US sports takes players from the collegiate level, which is technically still 'amateur' level sports although especially college football is a huge sport in its own right. There is no taking players from other teams in the league, which is why I don't think this will really work, as there is no source of young talent that someone else in the URC ecosystem has not already invested in at some point and I do not see the likes of Leinster or the IRFU allowing other clubs to raid their academy system.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Old Hob wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:05 pm This follows on from the discussions on a couple of threads, the Champions' cup semi , for example.

The URC are concerned about the gulf between top and bottom of their league; Zebre lost all 18 games, Leinster lost 2. They are suggesting that players may be drafted in from the English premiership to help out. They suggest this would appeal to clubs/ players who are not getting enough game time.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/65694650
Not sure where you got "players may be drafted in from the English premiership to help out" from.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I jumped to that conclusion based on this:

""There might be an ability to draft in players from the other unions who aren't getting game time," he told BBC 5 Live. "That is 100% [a conversation]."

and

Anayi says there is enough collaboration to ensure a draft system could work, without concerns from other unions about improving rival teams.

I accept it may refer only to unions in the URC
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

My understanding is that as the college level in USA is so well run and replaces the academy level all teams take picks from that level. There is no direct supply from DPP to academy to first team funded by the club so there is no prior “ownership “ or investment in players by clubs. If a play is not getting game time they can move. It would be like players at University BUCS level being put on a list and picked with every club having a chance to pick them in rotation. If it was done at 16 years old in URC Leinster could pick one player from Blackrock college but then Zebre get the next pick, then glasgow etc.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Weird article. "Drafting" in this context seems to equate to using or transferring in. Not a "draft system".

The Welsh and Italian clubs just need to sort their shit out.

They must have develop their own players and only use other players to supplement.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

The point about the US draft system from the colleges is that the team from the bottom gets first pick in the draft. And the best team gets last choice.. so if there was say 12 teams the bottom team gets say the best player and the 13 best player and the top team get the 12 best player and the 24 best player of all the emerging talent, in theory.
That is supposing that the bottom team can tell a good player when they see it!
Of course in reality it’s probably more about what spaces you need to fill. It would be pointless picking the best player who was quarterback if you already had 2 top Quarterbacks when what you really needed was Tight End or a Wide Receiver.
Anyway the system is to stop the wealthiest clubs dominating the league forever and making the competition boring. In our case that is what the wage cap is supposed to do
RichieRich89

Post by RichieRich89 »

Old Hob wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:57 pm I jumped to that conclusion based on this:

""There might be an ability to draft in players from the other unions who aren't getting game time," he told BBC 5 Live. "That is 100% [a conversation]."

and

Anayi says there is enough collaboration to ensure a draft system could work, without concerns from other unions about improving rival teams.

I accept it may refer only to unions in the URC
But the Premiership isn't even run by the ERU so how could it have anything to do with them?