LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:17 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:09 pm I’m not sure we need a replacement for Green with the talent that is coming though
Problem is for me 3 of our senior locks are basically young and already pretty much international standard.
All 3 are most likely going to be involved in the 2023 Six Nations.
Would leave us with
Wells
L.Chessum
Manz
Carmichael

The later 3 must have a combined premiership experience of 0 games?
If we're having a 10 team league and minimal international clashes, is that an issue?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:17 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:09 pm I’m not sure we need a replacement for Green with the talent that is coming though
Problem is for me 3 of our senior locks are basically young and already pretty much international standard.
All 3 are most likely going to be involved in the 2023 Six Nations.
Would leave us with
Wells
L.Chessum
Manz
Carmichael

The later 3 must have a combined premiership experience of 0 games?
I think the key will be to get them all plenty of rugby in he PRC at the start of the season. I think we may see O Chessum in September too as I’m not convinced he’ll be fit by RWC, May be down as a replacement though.
Also imo it would be an error to look for a like for like for Green. We as a club, and the game as a whole is moving towards the more athletic type of lock, who is comfortable ball in hand.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If being the key thing, and I feel considering the England players will still have rest weeks it's still a biggish risk for such a high work rate position.
Look at this year in the prem or champ cup
Wells 20 games
Martin 19
Henderson 15
Snyman 13
Chessum 12
Green 10
All 6 players had double digits in terms of game time.
I could see Lewis Chessum filling Green's game time. But still leaves us with the potential to get exposed.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Martin and Chessum end up covering the back row throughout the season as well
Last edited by RagingBull on Wed May 24, 2023 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Was looking at Hatherall stats, and he doesn’t have the size to cover lock. TBH I though he was taller
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Academy lads who need to step up next season I feel
T.Manz
Browning

Who should step up
Ilione
Woodward
L.Chessum

Maybe with injuries
Edwards
Carnduff

I'm not sure on the rest just yet
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:40 pm Was looking at Hatherall stats, and he doesn’t have the size to cover lock. TBH I though he was taller
He's 6ft4 and 18 stone. According to the Tigers website he's the same height as Green.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us add one more player either a veteran lock or a 7/8 player with potential.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:43 pm Academy lads who need to step up next season I feel
T.Manz
Browning

Who should step up
Ilione
Woodward
L.Chessum

Maybe with injuries
Edwards
Carnduff

If Kelly is away with England I think it could be a real breakthrough season for Woodward, I have been impressed with what I’ve seen so far and has a similar skill set to Kelly
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Harry Hockings is a new name to me. Big Australian unit current playing in Japan, and is in the rest of the world team against the Barbarians.
25 years old, 6ft 9 and pushing 19 stone. I wonder if Mckellar has come across him and if he fancies a spell in the premiership
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Mentioned it before but I wouldn’t be surprised if Sam Carter joins us for a season. Worked with McKellar from the Brumbies / Australia. Line out caller (which is good whilst Henderson, Martin, Chessum O are either WC or 6N duty) and gives an experienced mentor to the young locks.

A season contract to be an extra body if needed and with injuries (cause Martin, Wells, Chessum and Henderson have had time out with injuries this season) then I think it’s valuable. Then next season when Manz/Chessum L/Carmichael have had some more exposure then we can see them step up more.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:00 pm Harry Hockings is a new name to me. Big Australian unit current playing in Japan, and is in the rest of the world team against the Barbarians.
25 years old, 6ft 9 and pushing 19 stone. I wonder if Mckellar has come across him and if he fancies a spell in the premiership
Doubt we could afford him. We need a veteran lock, ideally one who's almost in a player coach role if anything.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:43 pm Academy lads who need to step up next season I feel
T.Manz
Browning

Who should step up
Ilione
Woodward
L.Chessum

Maybe with injuries
Edwards
Carnduff

Add Hoyt into the "maybe with injuries" list
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:40 pm Was looking at Hatherall stats, and he doesn’t have the size to cover lock. TBH I though he was taller
He's the same height as Calum Green, but (on the available data) a few kgs lighter.

Lock cover, that's all. He only started a couple of games there for Worcester and wore the 19 shirt a couple of times. At La Rochelle he's been in the 19 shirt (which we assume to be the "lock", or the cover for the lock cover, on the bench) but generally because their replacement backs have worn 20/21/22 with the second replacement prop wearing 23,not 18!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:37 pm
He's the same height as Calum Green, but (on the available data) a few kgs lighter.

Lock cover, that's all. He only started a couple of games there for Worcester and wore the 19 shirt a couple of times. At La Rochelle he's been in the 19 shirt (which we assume to be the "lock", or the cover for the lock cover, on the bench) but generally because their replacement backs have worn 20/21/22 with the second replacement prop wearing 23,not 18!
Those Frenchies always have to be different. I’d imagine Hatherall will get some game time this weekend as the cup winning team celebrated long and hard. I thing ROG must have nicked one of Michael Jordan’s cigars
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Potter confirmed off
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:00 pm Potter confirmed off
Will he be replaced ?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity