LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by fentiger »

Have seen this described on Twitter as 'churn'! Frankly that's ridiculous, Tigers have kept significantly more players on contract over the last couple of seasons. No club is going to keep them all, and in all fairness why would we stand in Potter's way? He came over from Aus and has worked hard to make himself into a very decent player (even during some of our worst performances he was often one of the best on the pitch). No one should begrudge him the chance to become an international!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by markharbtiger »

fentiger wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:43 pm Have seen this described on Twitter as 'churn'! Frankly that's ridiculous, Tigers have kept significantly more players on contract over the last couple of seasons. No club is going to keep them all, and in all fairness why would we stand in Potter's way? He came over from Aus and has worked hard to make himself into a very decent player (even during some of our worst performances he was often one of the best on the pitch). No one should begrudge him the chance to become an international!
Indeed...
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

All I would say is, if Jones behaves like he did in London, I would trust him as far as I could throw Skippy the bush kangaroo. It could be that Jones was just being obnoxious as part of a plan to make sure England never won a game again by demoralising the squad.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Tigers looking for rugby comms and media manager - did Bondi leave too?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

speedski wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:12 pm Tigers looking for rugby comms and media manager - did Bondi leave too?
I'd hope not, Bondi has been one of the best additions to the club over the past few years
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

speedski wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:12 pm Tigers looking for rugby comms and media manager - did Bondi leave too?
Is that Gary Sherrard old job? I don’t think he has ever been replaced
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I'm really sorry that we are losing Potter, as I am a great admirer of his. What a truly consistant player he has been for us.

I really hope he is replaced by a top quality player, as I don't believe we have a ready made high grade player to replace him. Good ones yes, but not top notch.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The full job posting states this
Reports to: Head of Content, Communications & PR
Thanks is I believe Bondi's job title, so this is a role reporting to him, certainly not replacing him.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

markharbtiger wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:55 pm
fentiger wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:43 pm Have seen this described on Twitter as 'churn'! Frankly that's ridiculous, Tigers have kept significantly more players on contract over the last couple of seasons. No club is going to keep them all, and in all fairness why would we stand in Potter's way? He came over from Aus and has worked hard to make himself into a very decent player (even during some of our worst performances he was often one of the best on the pitch). No one should begrudge him the chance to become an international!
Indeed...
Particularly if the ARU are going to make it financially worthwhile for Potter as well. Perth is a very nice city to be living in if the money's good.

I wouldn't begrudge him a payday and international rugby, with the England options available he probably won't get a look in here and the salary cap situation means he isn't going to be getting mega bucks.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

If Potter leaves every single wing who was with the club in the 2021/22 title season would have left by May 2023. Including full backs the only back three player who is still here would be Freddie Steward.

If a total turnover in a single season isn't "churn" for you then I genuinely don't know when you could say it occurred.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sk 88 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:41 pm
If Potter leaves every single wing who was with the club in the 2021/22 title season would have left by May 2023. Including full backs the only back three player who is still here would be Freddie Steward.

If a total turnover in a single season isn't "churn" for you then I genuinely don't know when you could say it occurred.
This is why I think unless we can at least afford to keep Watson then we shouldn't accept an offer, we have to have at least one of the two here next year
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:15 pm
The full job posting states this
Reports to: Head of Content, Communications & PR
Thanks is I believe Bondi's job title, so this is a role reporting to him, certainly not replacing him.
Thanks for the confirmation, appreciated!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I’ve a hazy memory of Potter wanting to play for England a year or 2 ago (I have hazy memories of most things to be honest), so if he heads back for international honours, I hope it won’t be as a one cap wonder. Eddie does have a history of tagging and bagging dual nationality players.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

markharbtiger wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:55 pm
Indeed...
SB should pick him for England then maybe he would stay
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Does seem that Irish are set to fall.
I guess 10 team league would mean less clashing with England right?