Jimmy Gopperth on leaving

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Jimmy Gopperth on leaving

Post by Old Hob »

The Mirror has a short interview with Jimmy about his leaving Leicester.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/footbal ... 5bb0&ei=24
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Jimmy Gopperth on leaving

Post by Offside »

Suggests Tigers have decided not to take up the +1 year on the contract he was rumoured to have. That then suggests we do not have the cap to allocate to that position next year. I presume it is wrapped up with Atkinson becoming available and being given a contract which was low this year and raising next year?

He has done a good job for us once settled in and is an amazing player. I hope he can find a good player coach role to develop the next stage in his rugby “journey”.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Offside wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:27 pm Suggests Tigers have decided not to take up the +1 year on the contract he was rumoured to have. That then suggests we do not have the cap to allocate to that position next year. I presume it is wrapped up with Atkinson becoming available and being given a contract which was low this year and raising next year?

He has done a good job for us once settled in and is an amazing player. I hope he can find a good player coach role to develop the next stage in his rugby “journey”.
He says he's known since January about going. Cap space or not, I'm not 100% that Gopperth pre January had earned the plus 1 year, it's really been the 6N period where him and Handre have clicked that he's started to perform best
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
moorsman1
Tiger Cub

Post by moorsman1 »

I love Jimmy and I think he may well have a match winning game in him for us
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

At times he was exposed for pace. Improved during the season as Aled's input improved things.
Stick with a 40 year old or put your backing behind a young FH/FB?

I may be being controversial but I don't think it was a great signing. A steady Eddie, in their late 30s should not have been a sensible signing from a lower half of the table team.

Occasionally these signings can be inspired like Ashton & Brown but this wasn't one of them.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:37 pm At times he was exposed for pace. Improved during the season as Aled's input improved things.
Stick with a 40 year old or put your backing behind a young FH/FB?

I may be being controversial but I don't think it was a great signing. A steady Eddie, in their late 30s should not have been a sensible signing from a lower half of the table team.

Occasionally these signings can be inspired like Ashton & Brown but this wasn't one of them.
I dunno, he was never signed as a 1st choice, he was more a replacement for Dan Lancaster, though possibly a bit ahead of Hegarty as a FH backup

So for me he's done ok, he's been dependable IMO.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Interesting comment Moorsman 🤔😎
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Jimmy G came as a back up to Pollard and Burns. Unfortunately early season circumstances meant that he and Burns were partnered together at 10 & 12 and that was a defensive weakness, latterly we have had decent performances from Jimmy. I think (having never met the guy) he may become an excellent coach, I am sure our young midfielders have learned from playing and training with Gopperth.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

moorsman1 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:48 pm I love Jimmy and I think he may well have a match winning game in him for us
Guess we're going to find out - he's now starting against Sale, Pollard out injured
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Almost prophetic 🤔
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Offside wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 12:27 pm Suggests Tigers have decided not to take up the +1 year on the contract he was rumoured to have. That then suggests we do not have the cap to allocate to that position next year. I presume it is wrapped up with Atkinson becoming available and being given a contract which was low this year and raising next year?
Shillcock can play 10 too, can't he?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Postiger2 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:20 pm
Has done in the past and played there a lot as a young player, but hasn't started a top level game there since early 2021 when he had three consecutive Prem starts at 10. Other than that, in the past 5 years or so he's only been used at 10 in the Challenge Cup or PRC (8 times).
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:50 am
Has done in the past and played there a lot as a young player, but hasn't started a top level game there since early 2021 when he had three consecutive Prem starts at 10. Other than that, in the past 5 years or so he's only been used at 10 in the Challenge Cup or PRC (8 times).
9 of his 10 starts in Japan for Mitsubishi DynaBoars has been at 10 (all in 2023), only once started at 15 for them. Obviously Matt To'omua being injured for most of that probably meant they had a bit more of an opening there.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:01 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:50 am

9 of his 10 starts in Japan for Mitsubishi DynaBoars has been at 10 (all in 2023), only once started at 15 for them. Obviously Matt To'omua being injured for most of that probably meant they had a bit more of an opening there.
Interesting. I think the biggest thing from his time at Worcester is that he tended really only to play there as an emergency or in the "less important" competitions in recent years.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Wasn’t he on loan at Bath earlier this season when they said that he was one of their best players
A2O